StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a skidplate that will attach to a 650k7 equiped with the Suzuki engine guard and centrestand? I'd like to find one that will attach without modifying the bike.

Thanks.

SS

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is a Suzuki engine guard?
Suzuki Canada calls it an engine guard. It is available as an accessory in the Canadian 2007 street/dual sport booklet. I think I have heard it referred to on the site as crash bars as well. I suppose Suzuki Canada is trying to put a positive spin on things by avoiding the word crash!

SS

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I have Suz engine guards on my 06 DL650. Unless they have changed for 07 they are aftermarket Sw-Motech brand and the SWM skid plate fits fine - I have it on mine. You can compare pictures of the two on the SW-M website and I had verified this with the folks at Twisted Throttle prior to ordering the skid plate - which the dealer at the time did not carry. Again - mines an 06 but should be good place to start looking.

Safe Riding
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have Suz engine guards on my 06 DL650. Unless they have changed for 07 they are aftermarket Sw-Motech brand and the SWM skid plate fits fine - I have it on mine. You can compare pictures of the two on the SW-M website and I had verified this with the folks at Twisted Throttle prior to ordering the skid plate - which the dealer at the time did not carry. Again - mines an 06 but should be good place to start looking.

Safe Riding
Bob
Thanks for your help. My engine guard says Suzuki on it. Does yours have the Suzuki name on the front of it too?

SS

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Trust him the SW Motech skid plate will work. A buddy & I have them comming for our Stroms: an 05 with Suzuki guards & an 07 with Givi guards

Thanks for your help. My engine guard says Suzuki on it. Does yours have the Suzuki name on the front of it too?

SS

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trust him the SW Motech skid plate will work. A buddy & I have them comming for our Stroms: an 05 with Suzuki guards & an 07 with Givi guards
Thanks Night Wolf. Do you know the Canadian price of the SW Motech skidplate? Also, did you have to order online or were you able to find a dealer who could get it for you?

SS

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Ordered online through AMotostuff for $200.00 usd. With the Canadian dollar on a high right now prices in the USA are very attractive. Have them ship via US Post office as UPS/FedX charge usurious brokerage fees. Canada Post will charge at least $5.00 and maybe duties, but UPS/FedX charge $40.00 for customs clearance plus GST & duties. Have ordered over $700.00 worth of product from Amotostuff with absolutely no issues :cool:

Thanks Night Wolf. Do you know the Canadian price of the SW Motech skidplate? Also, did you have to order online or were you able to find a dealer who could get it for you?

SS

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ordered online through AMotostuff for $200.00 usd. With the Canadian dollar on a high right now prices in the USA are very attractive. Have them ship via US Post office as UPS/FedX charge usurious brokerage fees. Canada Post will charge at least $5.00 and maybe duties, but UPS/FedX charge $40.00 for customs clearance plus GST & duties. Have ordered over $700.00 worth of product from Amotostuff with absolutely no issues :cool:
Thanks once again Night Wolf. This sounds like the way to go. You're right about US items being a bargain right now.

SS

·
Registered
94 Posts
Me too

Ordered from Amoto as well. The sump guard from Amoto is some work of heavy duty protection. Oil changes take 10 minutes longer but it is worth it. Bought into the whole thing, Suzuki C-stand, engine guard, hand guards, Givi V46 and E41's and soft insert bags, Nep T-Lock, Ventura light guard, Fenda Extenda. Just a few more things to sprinkle on the DL 650 and I'll be done.

Just completed a 5500 km shake down tour with the last day being 1150 kms. Now I have a better understanding of what else is needed for further extended trips.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
There's at least one Cdn distributor of farkles. Moto International in Montreal sells quite a few of the German bits, luggage and guards, etc. But the prices! E.g., H&B aluminum sidecases, 38L are $420 Cdn a piece from Moto Inter. From AMotoStuff or Twisted Throttle, they're $309 (288 US). All other charges would be very close to each other: shipping, taxes etc.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered the SW Motech skidplate today from Motor Sports World in Ottawa
613-225-2892. They are listed as an SW Motech dealer on the SW Motech website. The price was $208.99 plus tax for a total of $238.24 CDN. It should be here in a week. This seemed like a better option than ordering it through the US.

Thanks again Night Wolf for your help.:)

SS

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
You got a great deal :cool: Nice to know others have been down this road before eh :D

I ordered the SW Motech skidplate today from Motor Sports World in Ottawa
613-225-2892. They are listed as an SW Motech dealer on the SW Motech website. The price was $208.99 plus tax for a total of $238.24 CDN. It should be here in a week. This seemed like a better option than ordering it through the US.

Thanks again Night Wolf for your help.:)

SS

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Ordered from Amoto as well. The sump guard from Amoto is some work of heavy duty protection. Oil changes take 10 minutes longer but it is worth it.
10 minutes? Why?

You only have to drop the two bottom bolts and then you can fit a typical drain pan under there no problem.

·
Registered
94 Posts
10 minutes? Why?

You only have to drop the two bottom bolts and then you can fit a typical drain pan under there no problem.

Pan fits fine under sump drain but not under filter, so I have a seperate pan which I hold when I unseat the filter. So minutes each way on the bolts, and 6 minutes drain time on the filter. However I will endure to improve my time in this area knowing that a pit crew awaits my hidden talents as an ace mechanic.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You got a great deal :cool: Nice to know others have been down this road before eh :D
Yes. This site has proved to be of more value than I could have ever imagined. It seems that whatever a person is looking for, someone on the site has an answer. Awesome site, awesome people! :D

SS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts