StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I know this is probably the 8765th thread of this nature, but given the specifics I thought I would post instead of lurking.

After 3 seasons on my first bike (Ninja 300), I've decided to move up in the world. I've test driven a bunch of new and used bikes, from cruisers to sport-tourers and have decided on the V-Strom. That said, I am on a budget with this purchase so I am looking at older bikes. I'm not looking to do any serious off-roading, but want the ability to go camping in areas where I might need to do some dirt/gravel roads or fire roads while travelling 1-up with my gear Here are the front-runners in my search:

2003 DL1000, 49,000 kms, colour matched panniers and top case. Needs tires. $3500 CAD

2006 DL650, 21,000 kms, no bags, no side racks. $3500 CAD

2009 DL650 32,000 kms, top box, side racks, no panniers. $4000 CAD

Opinions?

Thanks,
JJ

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good call, if I could only link up to meet him. He's a bit elusive. I thought he was trying to sell a bike, but...

Update,
I got to see the '06 up close and it was laid down at least once. The guy repaired the plastic on the right side with bondo and the mirror is a bit chewed up. Otherwise it seemed ok, although it would be safety inspected an test driven before the sale.

It looks like a race between the 09 and the 03.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,212 Posts
That seems like too much money for the '03 DL 1000.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed. 3500 is his price. I don't plan to spend more than $3K if the 2009 doesn't work out. Especially since I'll be into about $350 for new tires installed immediately after purchase.

It does also have hand grip heaters, a centre stand, engine guards and a few other extras.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
does the 2009 have ABS?

I would stay away from the 1000, the 650 is all you need, a lighter bike. By now there is a ton of used stuff available making it less costly to add what you want and what is missing.

Try to get the 2009. He may still be riding it, so it may take a little until he is selling??

Cheap panniers are 1550 Pelican (used) or knock offs. Many threads about luggage choices here.

I assume this is CAN Dollars? The 2009 seems reasonable, the others too much. The 2006 may be quite ok, you can replace the plastic parts (ebay) but 2000 - 2500 if there is nothing else wrong with it. Cosmetics are minor, abused and neglected, pass it, there are many more out there.

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
Steer away from the 1000 "you will thank me", get the 09 650 or keep looking.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Offer on the 2009 Wee w/ABS was accepted. If title and inspection check are good to go, which I expect they will, I pick it up on Saturday.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
Yeah, I just read a bunch of threads on "Chudder." That was a bit of an eye opener.
The chudder is just annoying, shifting or breaking rotor magnets is a real problem. It is just an overall temperamental machine, but damn good once dialed in. Now the new 1000's are a whole new refined animal, they are getting rave reviews.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So i picked up the bike today. She's a 2009 650 with ABS and a few farkles (Givi screen and the adjustable mount, grip warmers, engine guards, centre stand, OEM racks, Shad top box and only one OEM case, which I mentioned in another thread). Went for a little rip with my wife today with her on her CBR (see avatar for a pic of both bikes). So far I'm super impressed with the bike. I've got the screen way up and didn't notice much turbulence at the 80-100 kph speeds. After winding out the Ninja 300 to 11000 plus RPMto get up to speed, this was a totally different experience. Vive le difference!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts