StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Just taking this opportunity to introduce myself and at the same time ask your learned opinions on the differences between a 2006 (50k Kms) and a 2012 (25k kms) V-Strom if any.

I have been looking around get one and as luck would have it these two available at my local seconds dealer. I have booked myself in for a test ride this weekend and hopefully one will be mine soon after.

Currently, the reasons for my asking is because there is differences on half price between the the older and younger one with the cheaper older one having more aftermarket parts- it is all setup for touring as is and would be my preferred all things being equal. Having sat on them both whilst stationary and rocking it side to side,the 2012 felt lighter or was it my imagination?

Thanking you all in advance and thanks for my Add to this forum.

Cheers :smile2:

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,310 Posts
No weight difference in them....as delivered new. But aftermarket parts, even tires can make a bike feel heavier when sitting on it.

Hardly any mechanical difference in the two model years. The 2012 does have the advantage of having an updated ECU ( either in it or available from Suzuki as a TSB ).

I would want the newer bike, except that now a 2012 isn't all that new either! So it comes down to whether you value the aftermarket parts, condition and mileage of each bike. Since these all have a personality of their own, a ride on each one will tell you a LOT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No weight difference in them....as delivered new. But aftermarket parts, even tires can make a bike feel heavier when sitting on it.

Hardly any mechanical difference in the two model years. The 2012 does have the advantage of having an updated ECU ( either in it or available from Suzuki as a TSB ).

I would want the newer bike, except that now a 2012 isn't all that new either! So it comes down to whether you value the aftermarket parts, condition and mileage of each bike. Since these all have a personality of their own, a ride on each one will tell you a LOT.
Thanks realshelby for your thoughts.

Since my enquiries about the 2006 vs 2012 i was knocked off my scooter by a car which drove into me, (all good now- finger's crossed) During the time I was laid up I missed my opportunity on the 2005- perhaps it was never meant to be.

Fast forward...Two weekends ago I finally settled on and bought myself a 2007 vstrom. Woohoo... Now the learning and personalisation begins before any distant rides !! I'm sure I will have more questions so watch this space, and please be bear with me.

Thank you all for peeking in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi again. A further update on my K7 model purchase..

It's been now about 7 months since I took possession of my VStrom. The first I had to do after the first couple of rides was to eliminate the buffeting! At first I thought it was me but after reading the forums it is an inherent flaw of the bike. The forums suggested to replace the stock mirrors which I did with 'tuono' ones. Apparently since doing so, I've noticed that the same design mirrors used on BMW GS's and Buell's - but that didn't solve the problem. I've left them on, my opinion only, because they look better. The second thing I did was trim the screen down 75mm - this helped but the problem was still there. Visually, the look now suited the tuono mirrors. :sneaky: So the search for peace behind the screen continues.

This bike, despite the buffeting, has been a pleasure to own. Comfort-wise, for long distances and scratching, nothing to snigger at. Prior to the 'Covid-19' lockdown I managed to squeeze in a trip from Perth to Albany (approx. 400kms each way) and back, all via the back roads and what a hoot it was ! The pigs here in Western Australia are focused on revenue raising not safety (a piglet himself told me so)- so use the highways at your peril.

Whilst on my way down to Albany the annoying buffeting just drove me crazy. Any speeds over 100 (on the posted 110kph sections) made it impossible to ride or overtake safely. I endured until I got to Albany where I decided I had to do something drastic for the trip back. So I removed the screen altogether. It was like chalk and cheese !!!

Currently I ride without a screen and will continue to do so until such time I find a solution that will enable me to put it back on. Doesn't look good with it off but I prefer the comfort... more importantly the safety !

·
Registered
296 Posts
Glad you got a Vee. I like mine pretty well. :) Try to find some mirror extenders. I think at least one forum member here sells them, but you might have a local seller, too, or you could possibly fabricate your own, if you know metalworking.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,310 Posts
The best all around solution for buffeting is a Madstad Bracket. Then buy a screen in the right height to fit on it. There are both height and angle adjustments with this bracket. The best place to start in my opinion for higher speed touring with these bikes.
Once that is getting better, building some tank mounted deflectors are a real improvement. But the screen/bracket combination is where you start.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The other way to go is to fit a giant tall screen. I had a CeeBailey +12" on my '02. Partially eliminated the buffeting by pushing it up over my head.

But I'd bet the Madstad bracket would be a better bet. Not sure what types of screen it is compatible with?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts