StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Monday Stromtroopers :)
I am in the middle of my first big ride with my relatively newly purchased 2006 V-Strom DL1000 and delighted to report and I am averaging 52 mpg (or 5.4 L/100 km) I am riding at 120 kph (75 mph) and 4000 rpm in overdrive. I've done about 2000 km so far (1250 miles) in temperatures averaging 30C (86F) and the milage has improved from the beginning of the trip. The bike has a fully loaded Givi top box and side cases and I'm a heavy guy so it adds up to about 400 lbs. I got the bike with 55,000 km (35,000 miles) on it so really not a lot. The only thing that could improve my ride (so I think) would be cruising pegs and maybe a gel seat. I'm finding it's hard to be comfortable on the butt after 4 hours of riding I think it would be nice to stretch my legs a bit as well. I am riding with an Olympian Jacket and pants, fully protected, and find it quite warm/hot even at full speed; I may need to invest in something with more venting for next summer.
I'm researching the Givi crash bar cruising pegs and gel seat options on the forums now.

I wanted to share the mileage results with the group.

Have a great summer and ride safe!

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Congrats. That is very high. I'm sort of a hyper-miler and I tracked every mile on my old k6.
Never got much over 45 well tuned and lightly loaded. Sure you're not going downhill?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,212 Posts
Maybe 52 mpg Imperial?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,212 Posts
43 mpg I believe! Thanks for the conversion!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I also keep track of every tank on my 2012 V. My average is 45 mpg (US). Highway at 80 mph I get lower 40's mpg with occasional forays into the upper 30's mpg. Two lane roads at 55 mph I get upper 40's mpg with occasional forays into the lower 50's. Worst was 37 mpg into a stiff wind in Northern Newfoundland. Best was 56 mpg downhill with a stiff tailwind on a nice two lane (because of the conditions that day I was trying every hypermiler trick I could think of -- used to own a Prius don't ya' know.). These are indicated speeds, so subtract 7.8% to get actual speeds.

I've found that speed has the most effect on mpg. On two lanes I rarely get out of 5th gear. It doesn't seem to make much difference, if any, hat gear I'm in. Wind has the second most effect.

KKORO

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
Temperature has as big an effect as any on my mpg. Winter is hard on mileage.

I get better mileage in the summer when I'm heavy on the throttle.

Never great though. I think I've hit the 40 range on long slab rides on occasion but I don't really crunch the numbers. I just know when I get a lot of miles out of a tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts