StromTrooper banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
And then tried to remove the seat to do some electrical accessorizing. . .. Emphasis on try.
:muutt

See the problem we didn't see and covered up last week?

Key simply wouldn't unan** the seat retention mechanism. On to the inter webs. Pounding on seat? No joy. Pulling up and back with key in open position? Still no joy.

Luckily we had the pic to see where the cable was, and we were able to pry up the seat enough to get a long pair of bent needle nose in to grab and pull on the cable, which popped the seat.

We could see that turning the key was disengaging the retention wings, and it became clear it was because the tip of the cable had broken and was no longer in the right position. A zip tie later to keep the offending nub in place and another longer zip tie to run outside the seat for use in "break glass" moments and we were done. . ..
:ricky

Next will be some electrical farkling, using takeoffs from prior projects . . ..

It looks like it may work. . ..

Stay tuned. . ..
That was a fun read. Thank you for going to the trouble to document and post it all.

Those are such great bikes. I bought my '08 new and rode it for 13 years and 61k miles, and it has been a good friend. Wonderful to see one of its kin restored and ridden. Happy trails.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great job on the fix. I have same bike - altho not nearly so many miles. Bought the vstrom when I retired to ride the gravel on the MABDR. Looks like youre in VA, maybe Richmond? Im in W'burg if you wanna...
Plant Tire Wheel Motorcycle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2011 V-Strom 650 and 2018 V-Strom 1000XT
46 Posts
My favorite part about this story (well done write up BTW!) is that it was something as relatively trivial as a muffed up fuel tank that was keeping a bike with 100k+ miles from running….these motors are really the best!

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Replaced my MC cap JIS screws with allenheads. There is no real reason (that I see) to use (from the factory) the shallower countersunk JIS (phillips-clones) screws in that location......no reason for that cap to be perfectly smooth/flat on top (i.e. without a buttonhead sticking up past the cap)???

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
And there was more light. . .. LED turn signal and brake bulbs, SOLAS as turn signal reflectors, a Givi top case with ADMORE lighting repurposed from another project and a running light conversion for the rear. Will do the same for the front. All in all a neat upgrade. Also replaced the seat latch cable and checked the TPS setting. A nice afternoon all in all.
Speedometer Gauge Motor vehicle Reflex camera Trip computer
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting
Road surface Plant Asphalt Grass Headgear
Road surface Grass Sidewalk Asphalt Flooring
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Interesting read!

If you have not checked make sure that the drain hole and line that is supposed to drain water from the tank filler neck are free flowing to prevent future water ingress into the tank.

If there is still rust in the tank and you consider treating it in the future have a look at this reference:

I have a fleet of DL650's and had full-throttle bogging issue in almost all of them.

In each case it was a clogged high-pressure filter embedded in the fuel pump housing. The bypass mod fixed them all and I have not had one more issue with this problem. A new top fuel pump housing is $175, while the bypass costs about $25 max.

On two other topics:

1) I live in the tropics. I had a bike that sat for a while with an empty fuel tank (Never again). I tried several rust removal methods, and found electrolysis to be, by far the most effective. I made a step-by-step video of the process, start to finish: Motorcycle Tank (DL650) Rust Removal Using Electrolysis. I will add I use POR-15 to seal the tank after this process, and am totally pleased with the result.

One thing I also learned going through the bypass mod on 12 bikes is how much water and other crap ends up at the bottom of the tank. I am sure its because the gas stations here don't get fuel until their tank is empty, so often I pump the crud from the bottom of the station tank. So when I heard of the Guglatech filters, and watched Dave Peterson's demo, I was intrigued. I bought 12 filters, and did my own test on video to see if they really did filter out everything...including water. Spoiler: they work exactly as advertised: MotoCaribe Demonstrates and Installs the Guglatech Fuel Filter

I hope my input is helpful.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts