StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this came home with me. . ..

A rescue from the incredibly experienced
MSF coach original owner friend who rode for 2006-2019 and then let the bike sit for two years. He gifted to another incredibly experienced MSF coach friend this past April after bringing the ride to a shop that got it running. Friend two retrieved the bike in July. Second friend rode it a few times but found that the bike would cut out at throttle. So he let it sit outside for a few months. . .. And then gave up on it. In the well-weathered condition it came to me, the poor thing would not start.

The odometer showed 40+K but I was told that the original cluster was replaced at over 100K. I may not be the best at math but that adds up to a bunch of miles. . ..
:eekers

I'm far from a mechanical genius but it was pretty clear the issue was bad fuel, and perhaps a goobered fuel filter, or worse a dying fuel pump. The lower strainer is a $10 part on the inter webs. The mothership sells the upper fuel filter for about $350. The complete fuel pump assembly comes in at $975. ... So those weren't the preferred options. Here is hoping for a clogged strainer.
:jack

First trip was to get a new battery. Second trip was to JVB. . ..
:D

Tank was removed:

Luckily it fired with some starter fluid (unfortunately broke the nozzle so had to improvise):

Which prompted some exploratory TLC for the paint:

And then to a hard turn to the gas tank:

Eeek:

As expected, some rust in the tank:

After some cleaning as best we could we swished around some fuel and poured out into coke bottles. You can see the water and sediment in the three pours, first to third right to left:

So that definitely was a problem. . ..
:imaposer

Now to noodle what to do. . ..
:hmmmmm

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Opted for this forum's well-known in-line fuel filter bypass mod that fixes the clogged Uber expensive OEM fuel filter issue. . .. One properly drilled hole in the fuel filter and Bob's your uncle.

Post-cleaning reassembly (the strainer cleaned up well too, but I missed that pic):

And on to fashioning the in-line fix:

And the result (will add proper clamps after a gas tank -- want to change the filter anyway, given the amount of gunk in the tank):
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reinstalled the tank, replaced a missing tank bolt, and she started right up, so fingers crossed that she runs under load.

I think the bodywork cleaned pretty well, as did the weathered parts:

All in all a pretty cool project. Everything but the fuel injected fuel line was laying about JVB's shop, so sure beat the high dollar options to get the bike going.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And then tried to remove the seat to do some electrical accessorizing. . .. Emphasis on try.
:muutt

See the problem we didn't see and covered up last week?

Key simply wouldn't unan** the seat retention mechanism. On to the inter webs. Pounding on seat? No joy. Pulling up and back with key in open position? Still no joy.

Luckily we had the pic to see where the cable was, and we were able to pry up the seat enough to get a long pair of bent needle nose in to grab and pull on the cable, which popped the seat.

We could see that turning the key was disengaging the retention wings, and it became clear it was because the tip of the cable had broken and was no longer in the right position. A zip tie later to keep the offending nub in place and another longer zip tie to run outside the seat for use in "break glass" moments and we were done. . ..
:ricky

Next will be some electrical farkling, using takeoffs from prior projects . . ..

It looks like it may work. . ..

Stay tuned. . ..

·
Registered
929 Posts
That paint on the frame near the shifter is pretty black still - looks like you got one with a bunch of thousand mile days on it!

I've got one same year, same color, same miles. Really can't let them sit too long before they start getting lonely.

Curious what the story is with that gas cap, I wonder if it let some water in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
That paint on the frame near the shifter is pretty black still - looks like you got one with a bunch of thousand mile days on it!

I've got one same year, same color, same miles. Really can't let them sit too long before they start getting lonely.

Curious what the story is with that gas cap, I wonder if it let some water in.
I don't know. But the ride sat for two years before the wrench got it going, and it was transferred to the second owner friend. He ran it a few times but it would occasionally cut out. He left it sitting for a few months, and that killed it. Either the original cap let in water that wasn't properly removed before the transfer, or the replacement cap is allowing water in. I'm hoping it was the former. . .. But a friend lent me a bike cover for the latter. :)

On the frame, Griot's Black Shine was our friend:

Before:

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
981 Posts
The great thing about rescuing a cheap or free beater is that it comes pre-scratched and broken it. Once you get it running and reliable, rack up the fun and low-cost miles!

·
Registered
604 Posts
This was a great write up and I agree the very good photos really add a lot. As one who spent his life "fixing things" I always enjoy seeing someone who will take their own two hands and a working brain and bring a machine back to life. It takes a lot of patience and TLC but the reward at the end is always great. I am amazed at the cost of an OEM Suzuki fuel pump however there are aftermarket pumps that are available for one-tenth of the Suzuki list price. Also, that filter modification saves a lot! I saw a used pump assembly listed on ebay as having "some rust" on it. From the pictures they had "some rust" was not exactly how I would describe it. More likely it might state, "some original steel might still be there below the rust layer"
Great job on the bike, the old gal deserves a second chance!

Reactions: Kipper and Hovmaven

·
Registered
173 Posts
Maybe somewhere that you could meet
your two friends for coffee. One of my best days was when a friend I had given a Suzuki GS850G ( that I ran out of time and money to restore) (long story) rode up to meet me on said Suzy. I was thrilled for him and delighted to see the bike up and running.

Mike

1 - 20 of 37 Posts