StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got into a little fender bender (For the other guy). I'm able to replace all other parts except the forks. The outer tubes have been discontinued and I can't find replacements for the entire assembly. I've called my local dealerships and, unfortunately, they don't have any in back gathering dust.

I need your help finding a replacement assembly that will fit the OEM wheel and triple. The forks don't have to be OEM, but I would prefer to replace as little as possible of the other parts. Especially the wheel. Anything compatible will be great.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
There is a set on Ebay for $350 shipped.......which includes the Triples, which you say you do not need. You could try to sell the triples.........cheap (as, who looks for triples??)....recoup some of your $350 back??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There is a set on Ebay for $350 shipped.......which includes the Triples, which you say you do not need. You could try to sell the triples.........cheap (as, who looks for triples??)....recoup some of your $350 back??
Are they used? I haven't had good luck with motorcycle parts from Ebay. All that I've found of the forks on Ebay are bent.

Also I was thinking about some upgraded suspension, since I'm replacig my old ones anyway. Anything you recommend? Or is OEM pretty much good enough?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had a person crash my 2001 Suzuki SV and bend the forks. All from Ebay were garbage and not acceptable. Finally found TNK fork tubes and they worked at a fair price. Might goggle them and see if they can help you. As far as your internals they should be set for your weight and style of riding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see that the tubes come in different clors. Cool. But does the Race Tech website sell complete fork assemblies?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ohlins make a complete fork assembly. Motorcycle suspension, Steering Dampers & Shock Absorbers | Öhlins
It would be more economical though to replace the fork tubes with new bushes, seals, upgraded springs and aftermarket damper units like Cogent.
My mechanic recommended that, because of the age and miles (factory forks), it'd be cheaper in the long run if I buy new ones now. I agree.

Ohlins has some pretty nice stuff. The closest thing I can find is the Custom 43. I think the "43" stand for the diameter of the forks. I like the Blackline personally. However, I only know the diameter of my forks. And the brake caliper mounting points don't match with the OEM mounting points. And I don't think the axle clamp is small enough for my axle.

I looked up Cogent and some YouTube videos about the VStrom kit. It looks like the kit comes with all the internals, but I still need the inner and outer tubes. Which appear to be the hardest to find.

If someone owns the Clymer Manual for the 2004-2011 VStroms, I'd be happy to know if you've found the page with the specifications. The respective chapter does not have those specs.

·
Administrator
6,210 Posts
You are correct in that 43 means 43" fork tubes. I had thought from what you said that the fork stanchions (the lower cast alloy parts), were O.K. and only the tubes were unserviceable. If your fork stanchions are also damaged (wow) surely the wheel and axle are toast as well.
So what parts exactly does the mechanic say are beyond recovery? Both sides?
The inner tubes are available OEM but the lower alloy stanchions (outer tubes) are not.
Ohlins IS top quality, but expensive.
It must have been some fender bender.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't taken them apart, but there is a slight bend in the inner tubes. I didn't notice it until I ran my fingers along the tube with the mechanic. The outer tubes have no apparent damage but I haven't inspected it too closely. I didn't think to look at the axle. I'll inspect that when my new wheel arrives.

The guy who examined my forks said that it's not a good idea to mix parts. It'd be best if I replace them as a whole, given that the forks are factory and the maintenance is nearly non-existent.

From what I've discussed with everyone, I think I might keep the outer tubes and replace the internals and the bent tubes. Do these websites sell both the tubes and new/upgraded internals? Also, what's the difference between the bronze tubes I've seen and the standard chrome? I think it's just cosmetic, but I'm not sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts