StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first fill-up. I rode 70+ miles and the 4th bar was still showing. I was thinking maybe the fuel gauge was malfunctioning. I rode to 160+ miles when the fuel bar dropped to 3 bars.

My CTX (670cc) has a 3.7 gal tank and I average around 170-190 miles per tank. Can I assume that the V-strom and it's 5.7 gal tank can get me similar mileage?

Are the bars correct or does it sound like there's something aloof?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
The bars are not linear. The top of the tank is fuel for the full width. The lower part is cut out for the frame so the fuel is only in the sides. There are a lot of variables involved with fuel economy. I usually got 250-300 miles on a tank.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be monitoring it for an average but now that I know I can get 250-300 miles per tank my line of thinking is correct.

Thanks greywolf!!!

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Just keep in mind that mileage is very variable. Mine has ranged from a low of 33 (fighting a strong headwind on an interstate in Wyoming) to a high of 62 (a leisurely 50-60mph jaunt on northern NM backroads).

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Ever since riding I am never the guy that gets good mpg. I am the one with the mpg others laugh at! I all so tear up more stuff than the rest. I do have fun but not when you often hear ,"Never saw one torn up that bad!"or "ain't never saw that break before!" Drag strip run after run and soon you learn the term BULLET PROOF is not a word used much at a drag strip. When checked and by my self is usually never above high 30s.On trips with friends loaded down may get in to 50s. I just do not worry as long as gas in the tank.>:)

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Just keep in mind that mileage is very variable. Mine has ranged from a low of 33 (fighting a strong headwind on an interstate in Wyoming) to a high of 62 (a leisurely 50-60mph jaunt on northern NM backroads).
Wow! Even your high of 62 miles on a tank is incredibly poor! How could you even do that?

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
topic

I am so bad at keeping on topic as most old people are.I to was thinking 62mpg! Never done that on any thing but small one cly bikes! If the moderators had to keep each one of us PC and on topic would be like herding cats! :grin2:

·
Registered
22,258 Posts
The OP mentioned Miles per tank, you only mentioned miles and no one had mentioned MPG. :)

..Tom
I saw that, and ignored cause it depends how low you go before filling up, also, he saw speaking of a different bike.

MPG is the only real comparison

I think the OP was mostly commenting on the 160 miles before the fuel gauge dropped from 4 bars to 3.

I have found on my Vee, I go about 100 miles before the gauge drops to 3 bars, then after that, it's a consistent 30 miles ± per bar

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Before I got a remaining range display my biggest concern was how much further I could go on a tank as often the roads i ride on don't have many (open) gas stations. Knowing my range per tank meant everything.

On my 206 DL650, over 125,800 miles, my average projected range to empty (based on the amount of fuel a I actually put in) was 430 km, or about 250 miles. This could be significantly lower in cold weather riding at higher speeds.

I know the fuel millage but this really doesn't matter if you run out of gas in the middle of nowhere.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The smallest tank I ever went days on was in 1995. Got a new 883 sportster because found one for list.Did not need it at all but that never stood in my way before.:surprise: I like to ride things under warranty more than my other bikes.The little low bar plain jane felt real good on the road so with two other friends loaded camp gear on and headed to Montana with a Sturgis rally stop. Six day and two 600+ days and all went good. It was last year for the two gallon tank.
Looks great IMO as makes the motor look huge.Had been out west before and knew gas can be a trouble spot. Put a qt. oil bottle with gas in it in one saddle bag with a rain suit around it. Ran out of gas three times but after putting the qt. in got me to gas.Another time ran out at the pump before cutting it off. Got some out of the two bigger tank bikes with me the one time did not make it to gas. The thing got 55mpg even with gear and a middle size shield!

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
The OP mentioned Miles per tank, you only mentioned miles and no one had mentioned MPG. :)

..Tom
I did say "mileage", which is generally a synonym for mpg. Given the 33-62 numbers, didn't occur to me that anyone would confuse that with range. ;)

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Miles per tank is so variable. How the bike is packed, do you have tank panniers on?, etc. Wind velocity is an evil culprit of low MPG.
Like, you know really, do we ever get a real tail wind for 300 miles? No it's some sucky head wind or irritating quartering wind that is ripping our helmets off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate all your inputs!

I guess I was just wondering how the gas gauge works in relevance to the miles ridden. I know that mileage varies, depending on the weather conditions, how fast off the line, the type of terrain, etc...

With my CTX I'm able to calibrate, almost mentally, how much gas I have left based on fuel gauge bars and miles on the tripometer. In other words, for every bar I get roughly 36 - 45 miles ridden. Therefore, when the last bar is blinking, I know that I still have at least 30 miles before I'm off the road hitchhiking!

I wasn't sure about the fuel gauge on the V-strom as I went a long way before the bars started disappearing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I wasn't sure about the fuel gauge on the V-strom as I went a long way before the bars started disappearing.

Yah I will second what others have said... don’t tempt fate. That first bar is good for 100 or more miles, but the remaining bars “get” less and less. When the first bar goes, pretend you only have half a tank.

Riding in the West, I generally won’t pass a station if I’m down more than a bar, unless I know the route. Even then, it nearly gets me. I had to pay $3.75 a gallon last summer, just 10 miles outside of Moab, because I didn’t stop in Green River like I knew I should have. The return trip was fine, but then... I stayed in double-digits most of the way back to SLC, and the midpoint was actually closer to home than to Moab.

Also tires make a big difference. When I finally wore out the Death Wings and swapped to Mitas E-07’s, my mileage went down a good 4 mpg. I used to be in the mid-50’s, but now I’m in the very low 50’s.

Planning on buying a DR650 or a DRZ400 this winter, at which point the fat bumblebee will be a road princess. I’ll probably swap to a more dedicated road tire to pump he MPG back up.

But I digress ;)

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
The Gen2 DL definitely outranges the CTX AT THE SAME SPEEDS. The CTX gets maybe 10% better MPG though. My wife has a CTX, so I'm sure of that from riding with her.

Gen 1 has 10% more tank capacity than the Gen2, but around 10% worse economy so range should be about the same, except that the Gen 2 ridden gently does a bit better than the Gen1 - that's relevant because ...

Unless you are going really fast, you should get around 450k's on a DL's tank at empty - don't run it empty ... Riding with my wife though (at her comfortable speeds), my range is nearer 500km's, hers is ~300km. I now carry a transfer pump when we ride together.

The fuel gauges on the DL's tend to get erratic with age so get used to resetting the trip meter and using that and as others commented, don't push it WRT range. A headwind or chasing a sportsbike can beat the hell out of your range.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I went out for a test ride (local 4-lane / 8.5 miles between exit ramps / ~70 mph) to test the "reserve" indicators on a 2015 650XT:

1.) I went a little over 30 miles once the gas pump symbol started blinking
2.) I went a little over 30 miles once "both" the gas pump symbol "and" last visible bar on the gauge started blinking
3.) Total on the tank was 300+ miles

So, depending how loaded up the bike is / how fast you're riding, you're probably are safe in thinking you have 50 miles to find gas once the gas pump symbol starts to blink.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts