StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the 2006 DL650. Went our riding today and about 5 miles in the red light came on and the F1 displayed. I pulled over, did a google search with my phone and read a few posts from here.

I turned it on again and rode 150 miles today and that was the last time I saw the red light and F1 indicator.

Anyway, I've been hearing a constant buzz every time I'm riding. At first I thought it was a normal "V-strom Thing" but after the red light I know I need to bring it in to the dealer.
So, any thoughts on what this could be? I've read a little on the fuel injections being recalled or something? I'm thinking it's that, or something close to the fuel injection.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
There were no recalls on Wees, though there should have been a recall on the stators, at least from 2008 and up. Assuming your dealer has a Suzuki Diagnostic System tool, they'll be able to read the stored code and see the cause of the FI. Stroms are noisy beasts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There were no recalls on Wees, though there should have been a recall on the stators, at least from 2008 and up. Assuming your dealer has a Suzuki Diagnostic System tool, they'll be able to read the stored code and see the cause of the FI. Stroms are noisy beasts.
So is the buzzing normal? And then there's just something wrong elsewhere?

·
38,047 Posts
I can't tell if your noise is normal. Most reported noises are but some may not be. It's even hard to tell from a recording. Being on site with a mechanic's stethoscope is the best way to check a noise. My bike had a buzz that drove me nuts turn out to be a safety screw on my Garmin GPS mount. If the GPS was not in the mount, the loose screw would buzz. If the GPS was in the mount, the screw would be tightened and it wouldn't buzz. Having something that causes a noise and an FI would be very unusual.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't tell if your noise is normal. Most reported noises are but some may not be. It's even hard to tell from a recording. Being on site with a mechanic's stethoscope is the best way to check a noise. My bike had a buzz that drove me nuts turn out to be a safety screw on my Garmin GPS mount. If the GPS was not in the mount, the loose screw would buzz. If the GPS was in the mount, the screw would be tightened and it wouldn't buzz. Having something that causes a noise and an FI would be very unusual.
I get it. Some things just can't be explained without actually seeing it, hearing it, etc...
I'll set up a time this week to get it in. All I can say is that it sounds like the fuel injection constantly running, only not as loud as when you turn the key to "ON". Maybe softer only because the engine noise drowns out the buzz.

Thanks Greywolf...yet again!!! :wink2:

·
38,047 Posts
You may be talking about fuel pump noise. It is always running but is louder after turning on the key before it reaches proper pressure.

·
Registered
14,235 Posts
With ear plugs a lot of the normal noise isn't bothersome. I love the way it sings when i ride the bike.
Lots of bikes ridden without earplugs scare the crap out of you. My 800ST and the G650GS are among those.

·
Registered
501 Posts
You have to start a "diagnosis tree". Does the buzzing follow engine RPM? Does buzzing follow motorcycle speed on highway? When you say "constant", do you mean it isn't affected by either engine rpm or highway speed?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have to start a "diagnosis tree". Does the buzzing follow engine RPM? Does buzzing follow motorcycle speed on highway? When you say "constant", do you mean it isn't affected by either engine rpm or highway speed?
It's a constant buzzing. When I rev the engine it doesn't get any louder or softer. Just seems to stay at a constant level.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Possibly not related, BUT :) there was a nuisance vibration that I could not tie to anything, be it speed be it RPMs.
Turned out to be a spacer in between GIVI crash bars, in front of the engine....

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
It may be your fuel pump after all. You have full acceleration at full throttle in higher gear and under load (ideally climbing a hill in 4th or 5th) going well above 5000 rpm? If there is any hesitation at high rpm's do a fuel pump flow test before you let the dealer take the bike apart.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It may be your fuel pump after all. You have full acceleration at full throttle in higher gear and under load (ideally climbing a hill in 4th or 5th) going well above 5000 rpm? If there is any hesitation at high rpm's do a fuel pump flow test before you let the dealer take the bike apart.
My throttle seems to work OK. When I juice it, it moves pretty quickly (something I am fond of on this particular motorcycle!).

But I'll take her out again either tomorrow night or Wednesday. :wink2:

·
Registered
501 Posts
It's a constant buzzing. When I rev the engine it doesn't get any louder or softer. Just seems to stay at a constant level.
So, are you saying that as your highway speed goes faster or slower the buzzing is constant too? If it isn't engine related, it would seem to have something to do with tires, drive sprockets, chain, or even "wind speed" vibrating something, and therefore, change with with the speedometer (highway speed).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, are you saying that as your highway speed goes faster or slower the buzzing is constant too? If it isn't engine related, it would seem to have something to do with tires, drive sprockets, chain, or even "wind speed" vibrating something, and therefore, change with with the speedometer (highway speed).
Yes, the buzzing is constant. After the initial buzz from turning the key to "ON", when the engine idles, rides and until I shut the engine "OFF", it is a constant buzz. I can hear it when I am stopped and when my motorcycle is in motion.

·
38,047 Posts
I'm thinking fuel pump.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm thinking fuel pump.
That's what I was thinking...or something close.

I took the seat off and the buzzing is loudest right under the gas tank, lower part where the screwdriver is pointed. I put my ear lower but I can definitely tell it's not into the engine.

·
Registered
14,235 Posts
"lower part where the screwdriver is pointed."

Ah, the poor man's stethoscope. Lordy have i listened for a zillions bad bearings with a screwdriver. Kudos!
The boss finally bought some stethoscopes and we better off!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rode the CTX all week but I jumped on the V-strom this morning. She started right up but still buzzing. I went over to the Suzuki dealership, talked with three of the shop guys. They walked me to the back of the shop as they had another V-strom 650 sitting in the back. They started that one up...SAME BUZZING!!!
The guys came out to look at my bike, did a once-over and started mine up. Said that is normal. The one guy said the buzzing should be quieter with a full tank of gas and get's louder as the fuel level goes down. Don't know anything about that but knowing the other V-strom they had had the same noise made me feel better.
She rode like a champ all day today, on highways and 2-laners. She has pep and there's no blips or bogging.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Seems your problem is a non problem. Still do the fuel flow test, its simple and tells you if the pump runs freely or if the filter is compromising flow.

Other than that just ride it. If the filter should clog up, its gradual and you will get home just with only part throttle, not full throttle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts