StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the VStrom world only buying this one few months back.. I like it enough, but have had the clutch basket issue but have had it in the shop and is improved but I find this bike somewhat unstable at about 70 mph and up.. The wind from following in tractor trailers is not much fun and cross winds worse.. The winds seem to destabilize the bike is not confidence inspiring.. I am more used to sport bikes styles having a Ninja 750 prior and Suzuki GS750ES.. I like the riding position on this VStrom but handling a higher speeds seems sketchy..I do ride with and without full Givi bags, but think it is the tall nature of this bike but would hope that the bike should still be manageable at those speeds at those speeds.. Thoughts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Raising the rear or lowering the front 10-15mm lowers the angle of attack into the air stream and helps front end aerodynamic lift. A fork brace helps the handlebar to front wheel connection from feeling vague. Staying relaxed and holding the grips lightly will keep wind gusts from introducing unwanted steering inputs. Still, it's a taller bike with a more upright seating position so wind will have more influence than with a sport bike.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
its a long shot

but check your steering head bearings for slop

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Going to a stiffer front spring will do wonders for your bike. It is one of the best farkles I have done to mine. It helps but does not completely eliminate the assault from tractor trailers. Like GW said, raise the fork tubes in the clamps about 15mm (which will lower the front end). When approaching a T/T remain confident. Relax your arms but squeeze the tank with our knees until you are out of the turbulence.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Gizzmo77: I second all of the above. The factory front and rear of the DL1000 is sprung for lighter riders so if your larger say 200lbs + or carry a lot of gear and are aggressive from time to time it tends to wallow, push wide at the exit of a turn and will scrape the center stand and or foot peg when fully leaned over on uneven tarmac. You probably already know this but tires and tire pressure can also worsen the issue. I'm really happy with my 2012 DL1000 with an Elka 4-way shock and Sonic constant rate front springs (both sprung for my weight) with proper viscosity fork oil. The fork brace really helps stability in cross winds and twistys,bumpy or dirt roads . Yes the DL1000 not perfect and isn't a sport bike but properly set up you can humble a lot of them and be comfortable while doing so. Then theirs always the dirt roads you can ride when you feel like it, all the above changes help stability with that as well. Have fun, Jim in Ojai ca

·
Registered
702 Posts
The bulk of it was said by the grey one

... a taller bike with a more upright seating position so wind will have more influence than with a sport bike."

My ZX9 is far more stable in cross winds than the wee. Ride "Loose". If you do it right, most of the time the tires will stay near the original path, while the upper part is moving around. Still, there will be times when you may need most of your lane. Think of it as challenging, not scary. :grin2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure if this is a repeat or not, I sent reply earlier via my phone but dont see it, so : First, thank you for your responses and suggestions all; 1) I am 200+ lbs, 201 this am ha..working on reducing that but maybe i shouldnt,ha.., and I will try to adjust the suspension, and look into the fork brace; are they easy to install? also my bike came with two wish bones I believe for rear suspension.. have not looked into them yet..suggestions on those..also, handling is ok and no sloppiness with front end, the bike just feels light in the wind even with my wife and I and bags..

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
wind

your DLK1000 has the same wind profile as m DL650

wind is no big deal for me (compared to my Ninja 250)

so what is not right with your bike or your riding approach?
you do need to relax your grip

and the bearings etc need to be at least "ok"

don't discount the bike - do find the problem

good luck

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
The addition of an Adventure Tech fork brace eliminated all of the squirrelly handling in cross winds or gusts from passing semis for me.

Now don't get me wrong, if the wind is blowing hurricane force from the side, you're still leaning way over into it, but the instability is greatly reduced.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
My Vee has been lowered and has a fork brace. Scary as all getout in a gusty crosswind. I try to not get too hard on the bars, but that's hard when you think you are going to die. I just slow down some and that helps a lot. Flattening out on the bike helps too. Sticking your knee out on the windy side helps too. What the others said helps too. In a steady crosswind, I just rip by the TTs. In gusty stuff, I just go slower.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Poor air pressure in the tires will make the bike squirly too, high and low pressure can cause handling issues. For me 38 psi in the rear is pushing it running solo, the rear gets unselted with higher pressures, 36/36 psi is good with no luggage. With a moderate luggage load in my hard bags I run 36/38. Fully loaded two up or with camping gear I run 38/40. Just going to 42 psi in the rear can really change the bike's feel. But I'm running upgraded springs so my sag is set right. I ran 42 psi in the rear when I was heavy with two up loads and luggage, after a while I went down to 40 psi and its much better. I got my FJR tire pressures in my head, the Strom didn't like that 42 psi.

Crank up the preloads, max out the forks. The adventuretech fork brace does wonders when riding aggressively while loaded. Made the bike more responsive, more precise corner carving. Upgrading the soft fork springs makes a huge difference. I'm 250 pounds and really like my 1.0 front and 13.8 rear springs, but almost always run alloy panniers and a 52 givi top case. So that adds around 45 pounds even when I'm not carring much more than my usual junk that stays on the bike 24/7. Weight adds up quick especially when you have tools, air compressor, luggage racks, engine guards, skid plate.... good spring rate choice makes it all work though.

Upright ADV style bikes are not rock steady at 80 mph plus, they do dance around some on the interstates. Not as bad as a KLR or something like that, but it ain't no smooth missile like a FJR1300 either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts