Strom Trooper banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Starting every day and only riding 1-1.5 miles might not be long enough to charge the battery sufficiently after starting current draw. You should ride it for an hour or so and recheck.
^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've taken it out twice for 15-20 minute rides. Each time, the volt meter starts off reading good voltage (14V+), but after a few miles, the volt meter will be reading 12.3-12.6 volts. RPM will be 4K-5K.

I'm a little hesitant to keep riding with voltage being low. Seems like this could lead to premature stator failure?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you Gert. The issue described in that thread do appear identical to mine.
I'll post there to see what may have been found.
I'll measure voltage away from the battery, as well as posting in that thread to see if the problem was located yet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So far the only engine warm up relationship to this problem that I can find other than the stator being bad is the cooling fan motor circuit. The red wire from the VR supplies power to the IGN switch which feeds fuses 4,5 and 6. Fuse 6 is the fan power. Just for grins pull fuse 6 and run the bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I took some of your advice Hilo Haole. I didn't pull the fuse, but I did disconnect everything to the battery (accessory plug, GPS, etc). I had the multimeter going right to the battery. Let the bike idle at 4K-5K rpm. Watched the volt meter. It was mostly at around 14.4V. Suddenly, voltage dropped to 12.8V. I looked at the fan and it had just turned on and was spinning. When the fan shut off, voltage started to climb.

Maybe this much voltage drop is normal? I'm curious. I'm going to do the same thing with a couple of other bikes in the garage.

Now to check AC voltage coming from the stator, now that the bike is hot.

Mahalo for the suggestion Hilo.

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Took a while, but finally figured out why the bike wasn't charging correctly, after the new stator, battery, and regulator. The magnet that was attached to the stator, when I pulled the cover off, was put in backwards. Of course, the JB Weld was set up good. Finally got the magnet out and oriented correctly.

Bike has been charging properly now for over 200 miles.

Thank you to all who helped with advice and suggestions. Now to figure out where this new oil leak is coming from... Made sure to use a new gasket when replacing the stator cover.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,331 Posts
Glad you got it fixed.

It would be easy to get the magnets mixed up, unfortunately. That's why I meticulously marked and wrote numbers on the magnets with silver Sharpie - and took lots of photos - when I did mine.

FWIW I did eventually do the waterpump rebuild mentioned in that linked thread.

However, I don't think a failing waterpump would be primarily noticeable by the fan running more often. I think you'd notice the heat-o-meter consistently running hot, first. At least I would. Since I ride with earplugs constantly, I'm not gonna hear the fan necessarily. If I'm constantly hitting 4 bars of heat, even in very hot weather, something's wrong.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts