StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just got a 2005 650 and it has rust in the tank. I’ve been watching YouTube videos and talk to several friends of mine and they told me a couple of different ways to clean the tank. So that’s not an issue. But my question is,:|:|when I’m taking the tank off and pulling parts off is there anything that I should replace while I’m doing that?

Issues can I look forward to with the bike has 85,000 miles on it and there’s 13 years old? I plan on giving it a really good once over. If I see some bad I’ll replace it,:|:|but is there anything that you guys recommended I look for ?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hi Sbcook1, I think you should consider doing the fuel filter bypass. Do a Google Custom Search on this site if you are not familiar with the fuel filter bypass process. I would also consider cleaning all your electrical connectors that are accessible while the tank is off and coating them with dielectric grease while you're at it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yep, fuel filter bypass, open and spray all electrical connections, replace spark plugs, replace air cleaner, and valve inspection if needed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
811 Posts
Fuel filter bypass is probably a good idea since you might be changing it out a lot due to the rust.

I recently pulled my tank, cowling and airbox to service the throttle bodies recently on my new-to-me L4 650 with only 4000 miles. I took the opportunity to unplug and treat every electrical connector I could reach with dielectric grease. Since your bike is so old with much higher miles I would treat each connector with some kind of contact cleaner like DeOxit then blow it out with compressed air then treat with dielectric grease. Also inspect the harness for any wear or chaffing and re-tape if needed. This will help you avoid electrical gremlins down the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts