StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. There are two bikes I've found. Both nice. Let's say they are both $3600.

Bike #1:
2011 650
- Steel side and top bags
- Crash bars
- Skid plate
- 16,000 miles

Bike #2:
2005 1000
- Steel side and top bags
- Crash bars
- Skid plate
- Two Brothers pipes
- Fuel tuner and dyno'd
- Adjustable windshield bracket
- 33,000 miles

I intend to do some dirt road riding, but nothing too crazy. In all honesty, it will wind up being mostly a freeway bike. I may be inclined to explore some fire roads at a light pace, though.

Bike #2 seems the obvious choice, despite the higher mileage and age. Am I missing something? Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heh. "Gee" is the 1k. 1000. Grand. Gee. :)

6 years newer and half the miles kinda led me to think the same. But the Two Brothers, Power Commander, and 1000 cc kinda tip the scales...

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Most of us call it Vee, and I assumed that you had it in mind. now when I'm sure what we are talking about there is longer list for #1 as a WAY better choice. ABS vs none. Wee - much easier to ride and control on road specially in the traffic and even more on dirt roads. Better on gas. easier on tires. Much more farkles available on used market. Two Brothers are way to noisy. That's opinion of guy who used to own VEE twice (first 2 V Stroms out of 10) 5xWee and presently on Wee2 #3. As I said to me - I wouldn't even looked on this Vee if the price is the same. No way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most of us call it Vee, and I assumed that you had it in mind. now when I'm sure what we are talking about there is longer list for #1 as a WAY better choice. ABS vs none. Wee - much easier to ride and control on road specially in the traffic and even more on dirt roads. Better on gas. easier on tires. Much more farkles available on used market. Two Brothers are way to noisy. That's opinion of guy who used to own VEE twice (first 2 V Stroms out of 10) 5xWee and presently on Wee2 #3. As I said to me - I wouldn't even looked on this Vee if the price is the same. No way.
You sure have been through a lot of V-Stroms! And you're in Canada, with that short riding season! I lived in Mississauga, once upon a time. Near Erin Mills Town Center and Credit Valley Hospital. :)

Thanks for your input, man. Despite the fact that some people find it obnoxious, I actually love the TB exhaust sound! A bike like this could definitely use ABS, though!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Short but intense riding season. I manage to average 27-30000 km a year and that's the main reason I'm changing V Stroms every season. Interesting. I live 5 min. from Erin Mills Town Center (at the corner of Winston Churchill & Thomas Street if it rings the bell). Hey as long as it makes you happy end satisfies your need for power more then Wee enjoy it. Congratulation on your new to you Gee/ Vee. Nice rig. Welcome back and ride safe!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Short but intense riding season. I manage to average 27-30000 km a year and that's the main reason I'm changing V Stroms every season. Interesting. I live 5 min. from Erin Mills Town Center (at the corner of Winston Churchill & Thomas Street if it rings the bell). Hey as long as it makes you happy end satisfies your need for power more then Wee enjoy it. Congratulation on your new to you Gee/ Vee. Nice rig. Welcome back and ride safe!
Thanks, man! Next time you're on the way to California, give a shout!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I changed the title to what it looks like you wanted to do. Gee is sometimes used here as a nickname for the 2012-2016 DL650 because it uses a variant of the Gladius engine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Real men ride the 1000. That said, the one you posted is way over priced.
Ah, yes. I like bigger motors too.

I did buy the 1000. http://www.stromtrooper.com/stromtroopers-new-member-introductions/395554-re-intro-la-guy-new-vee.html

Ya, I agree that the asking price was a little high for the year. All the standard maintenance/repair items were just updated, though, and the gear on it is all brand new and worth a pretty penny. Managed to score a pretty good price, too. :grin2:

Of course, preference is subjective, but I got the right bike for me. Especially since there wound up being a pretty significant price disparity. Haha.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts