StromTrooper banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just have a question about a 2004 DL1000 that I am looking into to buy but want to make sure it checks out ok. It has 9000 miles and in great shape, but the owner says he had to have the master brake cylinder replaced fairly recent and it was a $700 repair. He said he did not know why it went out, maybe corrosion.

This bike is the right price for me and comes with many farkles, so I really want it to work. Could someone let me know if this repair is something to worry about? Is this normal for a V-Strom with less than 10,000 miles? Should I not consider buying it?

Thanks for any help!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Chances are the specified maintenance procedure to replace the brake fluid every two years was not followed. I would rather have a bike with 100,000 miles in eight years with a good maintenance history than one that was rarely ridden and neglected.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Joey, will you do some of the work on it, or will you send all to a shop? If it needs some work such as replacement of other brake parts due to sitting too long, factor that into the price. All the fluids will require replacement, except what he's had done recently. There might be some hidden deterioration, and you probably won't want to trust tires & valve stems more than about six years old.

If it was otherwise the right bike for me, I'd consider buying it as a minor renovation project.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joey, will you do some of the work on it, or will you send all to a shop? If it needs some work such as replacement of other brake parts due to sitting too long, factor that into the price. All the fluids will require replacement, except what he's had done recently. There might be some hidden deterioration, and you probably won't want to trust tires & valve stems more than about six years old.

If it was otherwise the right bike for me, I'd consider buying it as a minor renovation project.
No, I actually do not want a project bike at all!:) I just sold one and now I want a smooth running V Strom that will have no problems for a while...at least Im hoping. If you're saying that this might be a "project bike, then I probably will pass on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts