StromTrooper banner

2004 DL650 stalled 100 feet after a fill up at gas station

2088 Views 35 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  STCorndog
The bike had been sitting due to multiple injuries (not motorcycle related) and surgeries I endured over a many year period. I had it serviced and it was running like new. I moved to a new state (1500 miles from that great mechanic) and it was running great, went to fill it up as I was low, fired it up and barely got 100 feet from the gas station when it just stalled out. Tried repeatedly to start it again and it will not run. It turns over but wouldn't start. Luckily I was less than 1/2 mile from home so I just sucked it up and pushed it back.
Tried a few more times to start it to the point of needing to charge the battery and it just won't run. Sounds like it's about to fire up each time but just won't. As I had it fully serviced, fuel exchanged and did a few hundred miles riding with zero issues I'm stumped. Is it possible that the last fill up was bad or it stirred up something in the tank? I've read as much as I can on other posts here but would like some input before I take it apart just in case I don't need to.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
1,167 Posts
Will it catch if you give it a tiny bit of throttle while cranking?

Sounds like either a fuel flow restriction or bad/contaminated fuel. The filter can flow marginally for a while and then clog up. Seen this happen on bikes that sit for a long time, especially outside. If the drain hole in the tank ring is clogged, suspect water in the fuel as well. How was the bike stored?

· Registered
1,210 Posts
If the bike sat for years with a half filled tank it is possible that it rusted from water in the air. Once you started to use it and filled it with gas then enough rust broke free to plug the inlet filter of the fuel pump. You are probably going to have to drain or siphon the tank and inspect it and the fuel pump.

Reactions: Brockie

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I most definitely didn't put diesel in but that point is noted....tank was flushed, filter replaced and injectors cleaned literally a few hundred miles of driving before this happened

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will it catch if you give it a tiny bit of throttle while cranking?

Sounds like either a fuel flow restriction or bad/contaminated fuel. The filter can flow marginally for a while and then clog up. Seen this happen on bikes that sit for a long time, especially outside. If the drain hole in the tank ring is clogged, suspect water in the fuel as well. How was the bike stored?
No, it might "fart" a bit if I give it some throttle but it won't fire up. Tank was flushed with new filter put in and injectors cleaned literally a few hundred miles earlier. It was stored inside a work shop and is now inside my garage at my house since I moved

· Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,932 Posts
I most definitely didn't put diesel in but that point is noted....tank was flushed, filter replaced and injectors cleaned literally a few hundred miles of driving before this happened
I am going to suggest that a fuel line hose connection has come loose inside the tank. Very common issue....and this recent after a service adds to my suspicion.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the bike sat for years with a half filled tank it is possible that it rusted from water in the air. Once you started to use it and filled it with gas then enough rust broke free to plug the inlet filter of the fuel pump. You are probably going to have to drain or siphon the tank and inspect it and the fuel pump.
Ok, I guess this weekend is booked for this to determine wtf is up. Part of my frustration is that although I love this bike it is not user friendly to work on. Fuel filter shouldn't be inside the tank like this nor the fuel pump from my perspective. I'll attempt to filter out the tank (currently full) and inspect to see if any rust chunks/sediments of any kind come out. Then make sure new fuel pump is free of debris and doing what it's supposed to... should I repeatedly flush tank once off the bike as well? I have another bike (HD FXDL) that's actually easier to work on but not as fun as the DL650 to ride.
It's just odd that it was serviced after sitting and worked fine and I drove it hundreds of miles with zero issues until the last fill up.

· Administrator
15,282 Posts
If it ran fine to the gas station and stopped running after the gas you have to think about the fill up. Here in Canada first thing I would suspect is water in the gas. It could have already been in the tank or in the gas you pumped. There are additives you can put in the tank to dry things out. Cheap to check and the additives are pretty cheap as well.

..Tom

· Administrator
15,282 Posts
No, it might "fart" a bit if I give it some throttle but it won't fire up. Tank was flushed with new filter put in and injectors cleaned literally a few hundred miles earlier. It was stored inside a work shop and is now inside my garage at my house since I moved
Ohh didn't see the post I quoted above. I'd still think of water first but if not you really have to look at all the things that might have been touched with the cleaning and make sure it is put together all right (like the Hose RealShelby mentions.)

..Tom

· Registered
548 Posts
It's just odd that it was serviced after sitting and worked fine and I drove it hundreds of miles with zero issues until the last fill up.
Sheepishly I'll tell you something that I went through, with a similar non-start issue. I bumped the kill switch just enough for it to be killing the ignition but not enough to visually see the switch was shifted. Check yours.

Also, before I would be tearing into the tank, shoot some starter fluid into the air intake when cranking the starter (after you confirmed you didn't bump the kill switch). If it starts with the ether, that will signal a fuel flow issue. If it still doesn't start that would signal to me a loss of electrical spark to the plugs. Spraying in the starter fluid is just a quick test to help narrow down the rabbit trails you have to check.

· Registered
919 Posts
I have had a non-start issue and was told to hold throttle open. It took a couple tries, but eventually fired and ran fine afterwards.

I feel your pain though, having to disassemble mine this weekend. Not user friendly to work on as you said.

Good luck.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it ran fine to the gas station and stopped running after the gas you have to think about the fill up. Here in Canada first thing I would suspect is water in the gas. It could have already been in the tank or in the gas you pumped. There are additives you can put in the tank to dry things out. Cheap to check and the additives are pretty cheap as well.

..Tom
any particular additive you would suggest? Tearing it apart to do all the other great suggestions is something I'd like to do once all other options have been pursued. I've used Seafoam on other vehicles over the years but haven't tried it on fuel injected motorcycles before. I've read about Heet or just rubbing alcohol to remove water but was hoping to hear from someone here whether that's worth a shot or not

· Administrator
15,282 Posts
any particular additive you would suggest? Tearing it apart to do all the other great suggestions is something I'd like to do once all other options have been pursued. I've used Seafoam on other vehicles over the years but haven't tried it on fuel injected motorcycles before. I've read about Heet or just rubbing alcohol to remove water but was hoping to hear from someone here whether that's worth a shot or not
Up here Gas Line antifreeze is common. There are also additives described as "Dry Gas" or "Water Remover" or similar descriptions.

I think Seafoam is a whole different level and not likely what you would need.

..Tom

· Premium Member
1,710 Posts
You need 3 things for an engine to run, Gas, Spark and Air.
Do the flow test
pull a plug and ground the body, make sure your getting spark.
Spray some starting fluid into the intake, If it starts then you know it's a fuel problem.
Make sure critters haven't filled your air intake with nests.

· Registered
6,163 Posts
I would do a fuel flow test, do it a few times and have a good look at the fuel you collect during the test, it sounds like water.

It could also be a blocked filter or a bad pressure regulator.

The flow test is quick and easy and can tell you a lot.

Charge the battery, a slow cranking speed will make starting that much harder and could affect the flow test.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would do a fuel flow test, do it a few times and have a good look at the fuel you collect during the test, it sounds like water.

It could also be a blocked filter or a bad pressure regulator.

The flow test is quick and easy and can tell you a lot.

Charge the battery, a slow cranking speed will make starting that much harder and could affect the flow test.
battery fully charged, I did some digging online and many sites suggested Heet or Isopropyl Alcohol. I found videos which showed how it works vs water in a tank. It seems logical so I tried that. Worst case scenario I'll take the tank off and drain it. Fuel pump is working, spark is working so it must be water or some blockage. Just frustrating as it was completely taken apart and serviced not long ago. I appreciate all the suggestions and comments. Sometimes it just takes an outside perspective to help me unblock my mind as to what it could be. As fate would have it I had 91% Isopropyl Alcohol on hand so I put about 10oz in my tank as that was all the room left after the fill up. Inside the tank smells like gas and I do know the difference as someone earlier had suggested that I may have put diesel (I have a Sprinter Van diesel as well) and a working nose and eyes. Hopefully this gets me somewhere or the disassembly will happen this weekend.

· Registered
1,167 Posts
Open the throttle while cranking and once it catches keep it around 2500-3k rpm. It'll probably puff and complain. Be ready to open it even further if it starts to bog down.

Might be a good idea to jumper it to a car battery as it could take a some cranking to get it started initially. Keep a fire extinguisher handy as well.

· Registered
5,543 Posts
I used to live in NZ with cold and damp winters, condensation in the tank was a real problem. When the weather warmed I used to dump a liter of methylated spirits in it then ride until empty. That used to deal with the water in fuel problem.

Don't just use E10 - that's likely pre-saturated with water and won't achieve much.

You don't want to leave that sitting in the tank though, you need to burn through that tankful immediately.

Catch is that bike had a 20l tank and got even better millage than a DL. I used to visit my parents, (240km away)

Throw a capful of fuel injection cleaner in as well, that'll help decrud the pickup screen.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I used to live in NZ with cold and damp winters, condensation in the tank was a real problem. When the weather warmed I used to dump a liter of methylated spirits in it then ride until empty. That used to deal with the water in fuel problem.

Don't just use E10 - that's likely pre-saturated with water and won't achieve much.

You don't want to leave that sitting in the tank though, you need to burn through that tankful immediately.

Catch is that bike had a 20l tank and got even better millage than a DL. I used to visit my parents, (240km away)

Throw a capful of fuel injection cleaner in as well, that'll help decrud the pickup screen.
I put isopropyl alcohol in and should that not at least get it running a bit then I'll grab some injector cleaner tomorrow. If that still doesn't get me running then the painful disassembly and flush process will have to happen. I never got fantastic mileage on my DL650 but I also rarely drive it gently. Oddly I do get better mileage with Harley with an engine twice the displacement which makes no sense but is true nevertheless

1 - 20 of 36 Posts