StromTrooper banner

2004 DL650 Idle Engine Chatter

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  notacop 
#1 ·
Video: https://youtu.be/2cs9x__iuC0

The bike starts up fine but causes a distinct, non-rhythmic noise at idle and even more so when given throttle. If shifted into gear it will shut off as the clutch is released (even if given throttle). It sounds like it's at the front of the engine and may be a loose chain slapping against its housing. Any ideas?

#3 ·
Definitely not normal and sounds really bad, like something is bouncing around inside the top-end but hard to diagnose via YT. If you aren't mechanically inclined I would pay a mechanic to come out and take a listen. I'd also minimize starts until you figure out what it is and if it is causing damage every time you start it up. Its not clear from your description but if the motor DIES (not shutoff) under any load then my guess is the something serious has gone wrong with the top-end, i.e., valves, chain, cams, etc.

#5 ·
@notacop No the bike is not new, and it's only ~30k miles in. Assuming you're referring to the cam chain, I'll have to give it another look, but it didn't seem like there was excessive slop. I have the service manual but I don't recall, is there a way to view the entirety of the chain without dropping the engine?
@dmfdmf Thanks, how do you distinguish between "dying" and "shutting off"?
@Motor7 Good idea. I'll give it a shot.

#6 ·
Thanks, how do you distinguish between "dying" and "shutting off"?
Dying would mean its still trying to run but can't handle any load as you release the clutch, shutting off would mean it dies instantly as if you flipped the kill switch. Not sure what it all means but it is a clue.

#7 ·
Other thoughts....

Starter staying engaged?

Stator grenaded?

Clutch grenaded?

It's hard to narrow down the location of the noise from your video. One of those cheap Harbor freight stethoscopes might help isolate the location. At this point I am not sure if running it is going to make much difference because if it is the top or bottom end(valves or crank) it's going to need a re-build or a engine swap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.