StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last bike I rode long term was a GS650G Katana, and a GSX-R1100, about twenty+ years ago. Recently I came across a 2003 DL1000 in yellow. The bike had been covered, but sat outside for the last two years. Looking for some help getting this old girl back into shape. She has 18900 miles, and was a local commute of only a couple of miles, 2-3, and an occasional long run. Bike has not been started, but turns over now the clutch switch has been replaced. Before she is fired up, want an oil and filter change, and spark plugs checked, with a squirt of oil on top of pistons and turned over.

Any other suggestions on what to look for. I can think of a few more, but will let others suggest, maybe this will be helpful to others finding a bike in a similar condition.

Thanks

Bryn

P.S. Seen a few Mid TN riders on this site, look forward to meeting up some time.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have the same bike as you and bought under almost same conditions. I would add change coolant out mine was original old owner didn't change and it officially would not cool the bike this year. Also drain the gas tank and put fresh in get the hose all the way to the bottom and get it all out then put high octane in to run the first couple of tanks after that it doesn't matter. A mechanic told me that the additives in gas can eat the fuel pump barring seals and then the fuel pump will seize I guess gas doesn't turn to varnish anymore but when it condenses the additives get stronger. Not real sure about the science but I have replaced at least 5 pumps from cars that had sat and then a few months after driving them the fuel pump goes dead. If you have to take the fuel pump out bypassing the filter is a good idea check around its not as hard as it looks. Also Battery might be bad, but no matter what keep the idle up, mine sits at 1300 rpm anything less than 1250 and she seems to die when running around town. the low idle isn't enough to keep the battery charged and the bike from just dieing at lights.

Also she'll be happiest running at 4500 rpm but anything above 3000 will be good.

Good luck and Glad to have you :hurray:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm not a big "wrencher" but I have exactly the same bike (with about 32k miles) and you will enjoy it. It is the best color scheme on the Strom IMO; I get all kinds of comments about how the yellow, black and silver all goes so well together. You need to have the clutch fluid checked; it has a tendency to get very dirty and the clutch quits working.

You didn't ask but I had lots of issues with wind buffeting until I finally found a windscreen (the short Cee Bailey) to solve for me. Also, I replaced the stock mirrors with the Tuonos which not only look better but help with buffeting. I don't like the "clunky" sounds the clutch makes but it operates just fine.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Hey, me too!

You have the same bike as mine. I just passed 90K kms and it still just flies!

Usually, when I get a new bike, I routinely change -all- the fluids, check all the brake pads, etc.

At least then I know what kind of shape she's in...

Oh, and if you're doing plugs, get the iridium ones, they last lots longer than regular plugs.

Yellow is the fastest colour...

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
Yellow is the fastest colour...
Based on what? Are you remembering, "Red means STOP; Green means GO; Yellow means GO VERY FAST?"

That wasn't really yellow, it was amber...

Red is the fastest colour for a Vee. :thumbup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I have downloaded a service manual for the DL1000 K2 I believe. The service maintenance schedule suggests doing a lot of things, either at the mileage or time line. Examples would be, 4 year replacement of brake and clutch lines, radiator hose. Changing fluids is a given, and brake pads.

Do you think replacing lines and hose should be done?

Also the best place to buy parts?

Thanks

Bryn

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yellow is most definitely the "go fast" color! you can get brake, chain and sprockets from Blair at SV racing parts. (site sponsor). Great service fair price. from the mileage you posted I would take a look at the drive chain setup. if you need to replace it consider uping the rear to a 43 tooth, this will give it a bit more snap and put 6th into a better cruise range. it will wreak havoc on your already inaccurate speedo, but there is a fix for that too. fresh gas and changing all the fluids would be a good start. get it running and give it a go. Also the first valve check is important and from your mileage it looks like you might be over. check with the PO and see if it's been done. if not have it done.
Parts:
Ronayers.com Ron Ayers Motorsports
Honda Kawasaki Polaris Suzuki Yamaha Motorcycles ATVS Scooters Utility Vehicles
a couple of good choices

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
4,182 Posts
Check inside the gas tank for rust. That's always my pet peeve with bikes left to rot outside.

I looked at a fairly new Honda Magna with low miles once that was rusted in the tank. It's not cheap to switch out a tank generally.

WD-40 does wonders to loosen things up that have been sitting a while. Like the kick stand. Also works fantastic at cleaning oil/grease off the rear rim.

Fuel injectors can clog from old gas. That Ethanol stuff is especially bad as it apparently attracts moisture.

I like Yellow myself. Looks fantastic with a black seat and a few extra black bits.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I keep honey bees, and thought the bike would look good with a honey bee face on the tank, similar to the WWII fighter aircraft.

Waiting for the clutch switch to come in, fluids are being changed, and I'm thinking of some upgrades I would like to do.

Crash Bar
Tail light with modulator
Maybe an additional tail light LED bar
In the future, maybe a caliper upgrade

Ride and enjoy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts