StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of purchasing a 2003 DL1000, I test drove it and I noticed when accelerating at low RPM's it seemed the engine ran a little rough , it would smooth out after a second or 2 is this normal. Don't know how to really explain what the engine did almost a bit clunky. Any clarification would be great.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
It's common. The engine runs very lean in that range for emissions reasons. Carefully setting the throttle body sync and throttle position sensor is often enough but remapping the fuel range may be required. Search for Teka, Yosh or Power Commander for ways to do that. Many just keep the revs up and change the sprockets to aid in doing that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice is there anything else I should look for, the bike is very clean with just over 14000 miles.

·
38,104 Posts
That's awfully low mileage for an 8 year old bike. I'd like to see a maintenance record mainly to see regular oil changes. Check the chain for kinked links indicating a need for chain and sprocket replacement. Also check if the 14,500 mile valve clearance check has been done. It's important. Check for leaks. Get a general idea of what kind of care the owner seems to keep for the home area and other possessions. See FAQ: How to test for DL1000 Clutch CHUDDER on how to check for clutch chudder. It's an annoyance rather than a danger. If you have it and want to do something about it, see Clutch Basket Modifications - DL1000/SV1000.
V-Strom Riders International Group is a good technically oriented site.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2003 dl100

When I talked to owner before the test drive he said he does most of the wrenching,but said he took it to a suzuki dealer this spring and had valve adjustment checked and it all looked he showed me the invoice. The reason for the low miles are he has multiple bike's he has just sold a BMW F650 and has a Harley.

·
38,104 Posts
As long as it got an oil change every year, in Autumn if it was put away for the winter, and the fuel tank is free of rust, it appears you have a good find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts