StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I sold my Wee last month and am looking at a Vee. It is a 2002 with 30100 miles on. It looks very good. I can get it for $4900. For you $4900 should be a lot but here in sunny South Africa we are ripped a new one by our dealers. So for us this is quite a good price. The price is not the issue though.......... Bike has full service history at Suzuki stealer-ships. The 29800 miles (48000km) major service was done.

Is a 2002 too old? :confused: What must I be looking for?

Here are some photos as it was posted on the Wild Dog Adventure Forum. :thumbup:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=95561.0;attach=188266;image

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=95561.0;attach=188267;image

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=95561.0;attach=188268;image

Suzuki DL1000

·
Registered
728 Posts
30,000 miles is not too much, have a trusted mechanic check it out for you. As for the price, I have no idea if it is a fair price in your location.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,403 Posts
The miles are certainly not a problem. That is a lot of money in the US for that bike, but we are lucky here in that respect. The '02 has a little less electrical output but otherwise is the same as the '03. If you think it is a good deal, you are the only one that matters!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Electrical output is not a concern. We only need to power a GPS of maybe charge a cell phone. No need for electric warmers. :mod_biggrin:

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Experts agree the 2002 Vee is a mighty fine motorcycle...

Anyhoo, the only possibly age-related issues I've run into are the radiator hoses, as well as the hoses leading to the thermostat and the o-ring on those fittings. 78,000 miles on mine, and going strong. :thumbup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hope a 2002 is not too old. I just bought a '02 with 79,000 miles. I have already put 500 miles on it and no problems so far.

·
Registered
231 Posts
bought mine with 43000klms 3 years ago 71200 on it now and im just starting to talk to real shelby about the clutch mod but other than that best bike per buck by far i paid 6200.00 with a few mods ....still very happy..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have decided to byte the bullet and go for a much newer (and much more expensive!) Vee.

Am looking at a 2009 DL1000 with 17450km (10842 miles) on it. This bike was never dropped and looks brand new.

I get with it:

Givi Crash-Bars
Givi Topbox
Givi 21lt panniers and 42lt panniers
Stealth Titanium Silencers

All for $10 144.00 or R80 000.00.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Congratulations, enjoy your new ride and send pictures.

·
Forum Admin
11,174 Posts
Ek dink daai 2002 was so bietjie duur boet. Maar ek vergeet hoe julle daar sukkel met die mênse se pryse...
Voorspoed met die nuwe bike. Ry versigtig en passop die taxis. :thumbup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dankie, like jou avatar. :thumbup:

Ek bly uit die taxi's se pad uit deur maar so veel as moontlik grondpad te ry, baie lekkerder.

Ek sal die bike seker volgende week kry. Dan gaan ek dalk Botswana, Zimbabwe, en Zamie toe gaan. Gaan Kariba, ruines, en Victoria valle toe onder andere. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Net die ding om 'n nuwe bike te toets.......

Is jy op die Wilddog forum?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've told many friends, the dl1000 is the only bike I've had that I would rush out to buy again if I won the lotto. My '02 is still going strong after 80,000kms, and if they bring back the 1000, it will be my next bike as well. Personally, I wouldn't think twice about buying an '02 as long as your mechanic has looked it over.

·
Registered
22 Posts
never too old

bought mine this spring 03 with 30000 on the clock . I have checked valve clearance, adjusted throttle bodies , installed new rear wheel bearings and cushions, installed a Real Shelby clutch basket and a few other farkles checked swing arm bearings and steering column bearings and front wheel bearings runs like a champ drive safe have fun:thumbup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought my 03, 3 years ago and it runs great... Only thing I have replaced was the regulator, and oil :)

Bought side cases and I love her even more ..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts