Strom Trooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,

I had been looking for a while at this class of bike. I wanted the same or more legroom as my Trophy, at least as much torque and power, and less weight/less top heavy than the Trophy. I short listed to the Honda Varadero 1000, the V-Strom and the Tiger 955i. The Varadero got booted as soon as I saw the weight. The V-Strom was all but booted because of the wonky clutch basket problem. The Tiger was it. I had 2 to choose from. I thought the first one would be it, but then the seller sent me some close pictures I asked for, and I wanted something that was better cosmetically. Before I could follow up on the second Tiger, I saw the ad for this 2002 V-Strom - newly posted. The seller has been around cars, bikes and motorsports for many years. This bike was in near new condition - better than new, in fact. Here are the improvements he did:

Superbrace
SV Racing caliper brackets & TL1000 4-piston calipers
Stainless steel brake lines
Stainless steel clutch line to install
Werks clutch basket
Headlight modulator
Windstrom windshield
Racetech 0.85kg springs and Gold emulators
Elka 5-way rear shock with 600lb spring
Power Commander III
K&N air filter
AntiGravity Lithium Ion battery
Tank bra
Frame sliders
Rear wheel spacer mod
Paddock stand spindles

HOW could I say no? So, I flew 2000 kms, bought it, and rode it home - in 2 days.

The seller said he had a guy do the map and made it a great bike from the way it was when new. It pulls GREAT above 4000 RPM, but lower revs not so much. I'm going to try a couple of maps I found here to see if that helps. I've learned I must stick with maps that are specific to the 2002-2003, so will try a Monkey Gas(?) map and, maybe a BigB map. People talk about a Cheff OMG map, but I think that's for a newer bike.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I am STOKED! And, life is about making and telling stories. :wink2:

Cheers,
Glenn

Attachments

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,082 Posts
That sure brings back memories of my yellow 2003! Already has some really good parts on it ( I make the WERKS clutch baskets). Didn't see anything about a voltmeter? If not, get you one. They are really important. There is one thing that I would do to that bike if I had just bought it. Order you a gasket and pull the magneto cover. Inspect the rotor magnets. Very common for these to be bunched up, with one or two large gaps. ALL gaps should be equal! There is a cheap fix for this, know as the JB Weld Fix. Otherwise play with the maps and if you want more response at lower rpms consider pulling the secondary throttle plates. These are ECM controlled and limit throttle openings under certain conditions.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sure brings back memories of my yellow 2003! Already has some really good parts on it ( I make the WERKS clutch baskets). Didn't see anything about a voltmeter? If not, get you one. They are really important. There is one thing that I would do to that bike if I had just bought it. Order you a gasket and pull the magneto cover. Inspect the rotor magnets. Very common for these to be bunched up, with one or two large gaps. ALL gaps should be equal! There is a cheap fix for this, know as the JB Weld Fix. Otherwise play with the maps and if you want more response at lower rpms consider pulling the secondary throttle plates. These are ECM controlled and limit throttle openings under certain conditions.
Awesome! Thank you! Your clutch basket was THE real reason that I bought this bike. I was looking at DVM last night. Actually, I have a 3-way unit on my Trophy (stop that! my Trophy, not me!) consisting of the 12V outlet, dual USB and DVM. I will probably separate the 3 and put the 12V outlet on the left inner fairing panel and the dual USB and DVM on the right side panel.

Excellent tip about the magnets. I had read about this and who knows, maybe it is contributing to a bit of lower RPM vibration. Actually, no, I don't think so because she is smooth and strong from 3500-4000 and all the way up. Seems to me a magnet imbalance would be more noticeable at higher revs. Still, I will do as you suggest and pull the cover.

She has had the Throttle Body Sync in the past year so I think I will have a go at the map before removing the secondaries - unless it is undoubtedly better without on whatever map I end up using.

Anyway thanks, especially for your Werks basket. YOU made a difference!

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice! Well farkled, too, I might add.

If you do pull the magneto cover, I'm curious if anything will be amiss. I've read here that there may be no known magnet migrations on 2002s, as they use a different rotor. I just bought a 2002 as well, but mine needs a bit more help than yours. Mine has a voltage minder LED, but I plan on replacing it with an actual gauge so I can keep an eye on it a bit more closely. Just in case...

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,082 Posts
Nice! Well farkled, too, I might add.

If you do pull the magneto cover, I'm curious if anything will be amiss. I've read here that there may be no known magnet migrations on 2002s, as they use a different rotor. I just bought a 2002 as well, but mine needs a bit more help than yours. Mine has a voltage minder LED, but I plan on replacing it with an actual gauge so I can keep an eye on it a bit more closely. Just in case...

Good point! I didn't pay enough attention. The 2002 does have a different magnet setup, and to my knowledge there have been no magnet issues. The 2003 went to the later style rotor and slightly higher output stator.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I had an 02 1000 many years ago. A PCIII map made it SO much better!! Before that, it had a nasty, unpredictable hiccup when pulling from stops that nearly made me drop it when pulling away in turns. Never did it again after the map. Good luck with your ride!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! Yes, I really think I lucked out when I found this one. Yes, also, thanks for pointing out the different stator and maybe no magnet issues. I knew it had a lower output than '03 and up. I do plan on installing LED headlight bulbs to make capacity for my driving lights when the time comes.

I drove it to Motor Vehicle Registration today (no plate since I bought it - even for the 2000 km ride home!) and it DOES run well. In fact the only bit that really bothers me is between maybe 2000-3000 RPM. Between 3000-3500 I really need to downshift to accelerate, but that is still a pretty small inconvenient range. Below or above that - hang on tight! I will still try a couple of maps for the fun of it. I got about 300 kms on about 16-17 litres of fuel on average on the ride home at, on average, 130 real km/h (GPS speedometer). BTW, that was about 145-150 indicated - optimistic bike speedometer.

The Windstrom windshield is AWESOME. I took the wing off the top for cleaning and to adjust it a bit higher so rode without it today. Wow, shocking how much difference there is without it. No reall buffeting, but really LOUD wind noise. Putting that back on tout suite!

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great bike! I have 3 VStroms. My 02 is in Europe with 110,000 miles on it. Nicknamed "Yellow Donkey".

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Awesome. I have an IBA ride under my belt, too. Congratulations. I'm hoping mine will be in Europe this time next year, too.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thanks guys! Yes, I really think I lucked out when I found this one. Yes, also, thanks for pointing out the different stator and maybe no magnet issues. I knew it had a lower output than '03 and up. I do plan on installing LED headlight bulbs to make capacity for my driving lights when the time comes.

I drove it to Motor Vehicle Registration today (no plate since I bought it - even for the 2000 km ride home!) and it DOES run well. In fact the only bit that really bothers me is between maybe 2000-3000 RPM. Between 3000-3500 I really need to downshift to accelerate, but that is still a pretty small inconvenient range. Below or above that - hang on tight! I will still try a couple of maps for the fun of it. I got about 300 kms on about 16-17 litres of fuel on average on the ride home at, on average, 130 real km/h (GPS speedometer). BTW, that was about 145-150 indicated - optimistic bike speedometer.

The Windstrom windshield is AWESOME. I took the wing off the top for cleaning and to adjust it a bit higher so rode without it today. Wow, shocking how much difference there is without it. No reall buffeting, but really LOUD wind noise. Putting that back on tout suite!

Cheers,
Glenn
At the next service, when the oil is out anyway, pull the rotor cover. 2002s have a four-magnet rotor, 2003s have a six magnet rotor. All the problems reported so far have been with the six-magnet rotor. So if you see a four-magnet rotor, you can sleep tight. But at the same time, you may want to inspect the stator. On my 2002 the rotor was OK but I did see some light blackening of the stator. The volts and ohms checks all pass and the charging system is perfectly fine, but I'm keeping an eye on it anyway.

Furthermore, this is a two-cylinder engine that like to rev. You can just about cruise along at a little over 2500 RPM, but for any kind of spirited and smooth performance you will need to shift down so that you have a minimum of about 4000 RPM. That's entirely normal and you should not be bothered by it.

16-17 liters for 300km at highway speeds sounds about normal. That's what I'm getting too.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At the next service, when the oil is out anyway, pull the rotor cover. 2002s have a four-magnet rotor, 2003s have a six magnet rotor. All the problems reported so far have been with the six-magnet rotor. So if you see a four-magnet rotor, you can sleep tight. But at the same time, you may want to inspect the stator. On my 2002 the rotor was OK but I did see some light blackening of the stator. The volts and ohms checks all pass and the charging system is perfectly fine, but I'm keeping an eye on it anyway.

Furthermore, this is a two-cylinder engine that like to rev. You can just about cruise along at a little over 2500 RPM, but for any kind of spirited and smooth performance you will need to shift down so that you have a minimum of about 4000 RPM. That's entirely normal and you should not be bothered by it.

16-17 liters for 300km at highway speeds sounds about normal. That's what I'm getting too.
Thank you for the reassurance and 4 magnet vs 6 magnet setup, AMS Backpacker. Excellent. I'll get a stator cover gasket for when the time comes. I will probably try a map or two just from curiosity, but will save the existing map in case it feels better than the others.

I have had V8's, a V6, inline 5's, inline 4's, V4's, a triple and a single, but never a V-Twin so, I don't really know how they are supposed to feel. 2000-3500 does feel awkward when rolling on so, for now, I'll downshift there.

Cheers,
Glenn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts