StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a cheap way to talk to my passenger or another bike. I was thinking of buying a 19.99 set of 2 way radios. Range isnt an issue. I saw some of those throat microphones, the ones that sit on your adams apple and they also have a descret ear peice. Supposably there are no exterior noise problems with then, according to the box :). Anyone ever done this? Does it work? I looked through the forum and found lots of info on communication deviced but nothing on the cheap. Any ideas?

Grey

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife and I tried a hands free type kit in the FRS two way radios we bought at Wal-Mart. All we got was wind noise. These hands free devices were voice activated and the box said that wind noise would not affect them--guess that's not at 50-70 MPH.

·
Registered
369 Posts
GreyDR said:
I saw some of those throat microphones, the ones that sit on your adams apple and they also have a descret ear peice. Supposably there are no exterior noise problems with then, according to the box :). Anyone ever done this? Does it work
One of my buddies used this type of a mike with his FRS radio. We heard nothing but gurgled sounds whenever he tried to say anything. They DONT WORK!

Wingman

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thats what I was afraid of....I guess you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
369 Posts
GreyDR said:
Well thats what I was afraid of....I guess you get what you pay for.
Exactly! You can go cheap or you can go good but not both. MY personal experience with FRS is not great. I switched to a CB and will never switch to FRS again. Not cheap, but well worth the money in my book.

Wingman

·
Registered
552 Posts
Talking to others? Forget cheap....just one word to remember:

Autocom

No more needs said.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No need to go with a radio. You should be looking at intercoms. Keep in mind that cheap set ups with cheap mics never work at speed. You have to have some kind of noise canceling mic.

·
Administrator
13,736 Posts
I don't have any sort of communications on my bike.

I have wondered, though, how bad the "Motocomm" units that hook up to FRS are when used for Bike to Bike Communication.

The units are available locally near me and are farily inexpensive. Have any of you used them? Are they total crap or are the half way decent? The price certainly is cheap enough. Do people on bikes use FRS for communicating? Is there a common frequency or channel that is used?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
75 Posts
Check out this site. http://www.collett.mb.ca/

I have the platinum and it works well. Two of my riding buddies have them and like the product. You have an effective range of about 1km, the vox works well up to about 180kms/h. For riding in a group within a few hundred meters I don't know what would work better. The only negitive I have about the product is the speakers sound a bit tinny when listening to music. I hook my MP3 up to it.

Darryl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts