StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of having knobby off-road tires put on my stock rims and getting allow rims w/ performance street tires.
any thoughts?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
keithrj said:
I'm thinking of having knobby off-road tires put on my stock rims and getting allow rims w/ performance street tires.
any thoughts?
If you find a set of rims let me know. I would like to do the same thing.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will do, i'm gonna hit up the dealer tomorrow and see what they have to say on the subject. most likely anything they have their will be expensive and not as good as something i can get on-line.
i can find plenty of sites to get the rubber (i'm probably gonna go with pirellis for street and dirt, they make a really nice sand-terrain that would be good here in FL)
the only problem is i cant seem to find any sites selling rims, which concerns me....i may wind up gettin the rubber online, bringing it to the dealership and having them put it on their rims.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, was also wondering (if anyone knows) how sticky the stock tires are? i'm afraid to lean too much on them for fear of sliding.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would be worried about running true knobbies on either size Strom due to the weight of the bikes. Seems like those bikes would make short work of the knobs and be very unstable. But I guess if you were ONLY riding in dirt it would maybe be OK. Stock tires are considered by most but not all to be slippery. I am running Bridgestone BT-020 tires which are totally street oriented and about the best street tire you can get for the Strom. They are also probably the stickiest street tire available to fit the Strom but sport bike street tires such as the Michelin Pilot Power are tons better than the BT-020s but not offered to fit a 19 inch front rim.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, from the few prices i could find about rims...looks like i'd be better off putting pure-street tires on the strom and getting a used dual sport 250 or somethin for off-roading.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey knock yourself out if you can pull this off...but to me the big thing would be the pain of having to change from one set to the other all the time...lets see..its a nice day out i want to do a highway run....so lets take both wheels and the chain off? by the time i was done with that i would be too pooped to ride!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a thought, but maybe the SV wheels would fit the Strom, I'd imagine that a bracket for the front caliper would have to be fabbed, but it's worth taking a look. The 17's should work better on the street than the stock 19 incher up front.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I put sticky road rubber on my stock rims, then put some knobbies on a set of tubed/spoked rims... then put a dr350 on the knobbies, and it works great.

·
Registered
178 Posts
keithrj said:
ok, was also wondering (if anyone knows) how sticky the stock tires are? i'm afraid to lean too much on them for fear of sliding.
An impossible question to answer, a tires grip has a huge number of variables; roadway surface asphalt, concrete, chip seal dirt or gravel, inflation pressure front and rear, tire wear, speed, amount of lean, power applied to the road; on the throttle, neutral or trailing throttle, braking circumstances, suspension set up, and many others not to mention the experience of the rider.

An experienced rider can easily ride the tire to edges, but often there is no need to lean it that far, a shift in riders position will get the same amount of turning ability with using less the edge of tire.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BradM said:
keithrj said:
An impossible question to answer, a tires grip has a huge number of variables; roadway surface asphalt, concrete, chip seal dirt or gravel, inflation pressure front and rear, tire wear, speed, amount of lean, power applied to the road; on the throttle, neutral or trailing throttle, braking circumstances, suspension set up, and many others not to mention the experience of the rider.

An experienced rider can easily ride the tire to edges, but often there is no need to lean it that far, a shift in riders position will get the same amount of turning ability with using less the edge of tire.
Anyone know if those will fit the Strom?

·
Registered
360 Posts
The stock tires aren't the best on the street (esp. cold) but they'll behave well enough if you don't grab handfulls of throttle in a turn. I rode them through some pretty tight stuff in the Blue Ridge Mountains and never felt that they were giving up. When I was done, I had worn off any trace of chicken strips and touched a peg feeler down. I don't like riding at 90% on public roads so I'm pretty sure there was traction to spare.

Given that, they did start to get a little squirrelly in the rain after 6k miles.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Continetal TKC- 80's knobbies are what fit the VS. Weight is not a issue they come stock on the very heavy GS1150 Adventure. For sure they will wear out quickly over a road tire.

·
Registered
640 Posts
any thoughts?
I've been thinking about doing a similar thing; getting a set of basket rims that will fit my strom for more dirt oriented tires and keeping the stock rims for more street type tires. Anybody know of any good basket rims that will fit a strom?

·
Registered
725 Posts
If you want a good dirt tire, there are two choices that are popular on the big adventure-tourers. There's the Metzeler Karoo, which is a pure dirt tire. It will only last about 1K on the street, but they're the best when it comes to off-roading. The other choice is the aforementioned Continental TKC80. They are a dual purpose dirt/street tire, but more dirt than street. From what I've seen, this is probably the most popular dirt tire for the 'Strom. I hear riders getting about 5-6K out of them in mixed use. I also understand that both tires feel squirmy on the road (Karoo more so than the TKC's), especially in the rain.

I've thought of getting a second set of dirt wheels, myself. I'd put a different sprocket on the street wheel also, drop the RPM's a bit at cruise. In any case, I want to get some TKC80's and just swap them on my rims whenever I plan on doing a lot of off-roading. I can spoon them on myself, it's not that hard really and I can have both wheels done and remounted in about an hour, maybe less. But that doesn't mean it isn't a pain in the ass. :) That's why I know in practice I wouldn't do the switch very often.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts