StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I did a little searching and have not found any aftermarket 2 into 1 pipes. So I plan to tackle it soon. I am not fond of the one thread I say of the pipe cut of and using the cross over to feed the rear into the front exiting the right side. I think the cross over is just too restrictive. So I plan to use extra pipe to tie it together.

Think if I could find a maker then it would be well worth the expense to just buy it. I will keep an eye on this thread and hopefully someone has a source.

·
Registered
522 Posts
May I ask, "what's the point"?

The one thing it would help is low end grunt, but the Vee has an ample amount of that. If it is about weight, then buy a set of aftermarket cans and you'll save plenty. If it is about being different, then I'm all for it!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
Registered
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
522 Posts
Gotcha. I didn't even consider space issues.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I like the idea of a 2 into 1 conversion for the extra storage space. It would be nice to purchase something that just bolts on instead of modifing something to fit!

·
Registered
662 Posts
I like the idea of a 2 into 1 conversion for the extra storage space. It would be nice to purchase something that just bolts on instead of modifing something to fit!
Actually, Suzuki makes a kit for that! You can order it by the part number at your dealer:

DL650 :cornut:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Actually, Suzuki makes a kit for that! You can order it by the part number at your dealer:

Very Funny... But I like something with more HP and torque. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
i've read a coupla threads on the issue and would like to do the same. i ran the idea passed a buddy who is mechanically capable of doing such a thing and showed him one of the threads that still had pics. his response was that it was done wrong and that he had a better idea. not sure how different his idea could be, but i'll be sure to let you all know...

i suppose we would've started on mine but he lives in a different country and so do his tools. sometime next year, the strom will be in his hometown as i begin a south american adventure, and we are going to tackle it then.

as far as i know, there is no kit available for whatever reason. in fact, other than slip-ons, there are no kits at all for the V. i guess no manufacturer thought it was worth producing.

as for weight savings, if you remove one can and the piping that goes to it, you will save a heck of lot more than just swapping to slip-ons.

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
Then again

From a pure horsepower perspective, disregarding noise limitations, a 2-pipe 2-can exhaust with no crossover would most likely provide the best chance of maximizing power, given the unequal firing intervals. But it would be very difficult to meet any kind of reasonable noise limitation with this configuration without huge mufflers. At the very least, any serious fabricator would need access to a dyno to adjust length and diameter of the pipes to maximize peak power. The end result might well be a good deal less fun to ride that the OEM exhaust, and a good deal noisier. And with a combined rider and bike weight in the neighborhood of 700 lbs, I doubt knocking off 30 lbs of exhaust system weight is going to make much difference.

·
Registered
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mr. Randyo,

Are yopu talking about this thread from HandyHiker:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-specific/26115-2-into-1-header-1k-lots-pics-long-post.html

Sadly, the photos are gone.
ya, that's one of em, links to the photos are down

my bike is in shop at dealer getting my WP suspension installed and 60k service

because they had the exaust off to install the shock, I got to get a good look at it

I wonder if making a single exaust is as simple as cutting the left side off at the crossover pipe and welding a patch

is it necessary to open up the right side for better air flow ?

on a side note... Suzuki welds the stock exaust clamps with a tack and considers the exaust system one part, no separate clamps in the fiche..... wtf? had to get aftermarket clamps & gaskets to reassemble the exaust

my original idea of single exaust was to free up some space to mount my scottoiler and get it out from under my seat, also been thinking I could mount an air tank to store air for an air horn & fill tires, small compressor would be mounted under seat where my scottoiler resides now

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I am sure if you got a free flowing can for the right and blocked off the left you'ld be golden.

I don't know what but there would be some change in the torque curve and perhaps greater and less than stock.

Dennis Kirk and others sell exhaust cans and tubes that can be just welded on.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Randyo,

this week while the v was gittin new shoes put on, i had a clear view of the junction of the two pipes. from what i remember, one of the guys that did this mod simply ground off the left pipe and welded a cap on the junction--ugly, but you can't see it.

the shop doing my tire change is a custom shop with lots of experience. i asked the head mechanic what he thought about loping off one can/pipe, and he said the only "possible" problem might be airflow from whichever cylinder usually exits out the left, because the air would have to make a sharp turn to exit the right pipe.

since my area of expertise is not physics or flow dynamics or what ever the specialty would be, i have no clue. what i do know is that the few who have done the mod and reported on it, claim the bike runs smoother and better. the caveat is that they all used after market pipes that were straight through and flowed better than stock to begin with. i have deduced (for what ever that may be worth) that the aftermarket pipe is a sorta requirement if doing this mod.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts

To bad it only comes in a toddler size.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Randy an auto muffler shop may be able to help as they would have a mandrel tube bender and would be able to weld it up. I am sure they could come up with a better flowing bend as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts