StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for anyone who has added Rox Risers to their V2, I assume you swapped out brake and clutch lines with +2 right?

I see Adventuretech sells a reasonably priced package with +2 stainless steel Galfer front, rear brake lines and replacement clutch cable for $196.

I was wondering if the throttle cables need to be replaced as well? They seem pretty tight in their current configuration, or do they just need to be loosened on the bike side to extend them a little more?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Not sure of your location but I have used this guy on ebay before with excellent results and very cost effective.

HARLEY DAVIDSON CUSTOM STAINLESS S. BRAIDED BRAKE LINE | eBay

Hit any of his BIN auctions he will then send you pictures of the banjo fitting and ask what length hose and how you want the fittings oriented. I had mine in less than a week and were exactly what I asked for and working great for several years now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not sure of your location but I have used this guy on ebay before with excellent results and very cost effective.

Hit any of his BIN auctions he will then send you pictures of the banjo fitting and ask what length hose and how you want the fittings oriented. I had mine in less than a week and were exactly what I asked for and working great for several years now.
This option looks like the route I would take if wanting new lines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Good find, thank you.

I was looking at the schematic for the brake lines, and it appears this isn't as simple as it would seem. I thought the brakes would have been a simple line from the reservoir down to the front wheel like on the older Vee, but it has this deflection in the middle and a lot of extra hose, what is all that for? Is that part of ABS system?

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
G'day Bugzy,

Items 5 & 9 do indeed run to & from the ABS unit.

The problem we found is the junction block attached to the right hand side of the frame where the hose from the reservoir joins the metal pipe to the ABS as its not a banjo type of connection.

We bought new hoses and had them lengthened.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so the claim about stainless steel front brake lines for the V2 is a little misleading, unless you are willing to disable your ABS for it.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious, a puzzling setup. I was kind of hoping to eliminate the U shaped bend around the fender at the bottom, but it seems that is not so easy to do.

The line that goes to the ABS unit screws into the bottom of the junction block?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Bugsy, I too am baffled as to find and install a longer right brake line hose after installing comfort bars. The juntion block attached to the frame is the hang-up as the hose is crimped to this block. I guess what is needed is a line from the reservoir all the way to the abs unit?

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Ok, so the claim about stainless steel front brake lines for the V2 is a little misleading, unless you are willing to disable your ABS for it.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious, a puzzling setup. I was kind of hoping to eliminate the U shaped bend around the fender at the bottom, but it seems that is not so easy to do.

The line that goes to the ABS unit screws into the bottom of the junction block?
Yes that is correct. :yesnod:

Bugsy, I too am baffled as to find and install a longer right brake line hose after installing comfort bars. The juntion block attached to the frame is the hang-up as the hose is crimped to this block. I guess what is needed is a line from the reservoir all the way to the abs unit?
No, the brake shop we had ours extension done removed the original hose from the junction block and attached the new longer line to it as in the picture. :thumbup:

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The kit that Adventuretech sells apparently has the full kit, a +2 SS line from reservoir to junction block, and SS line to ABS unit, then a SS line from ABS to junction block, and one SS line down to front brakes with a crossover to other brake, same as stock, plus you get a +2 SS clutch line, and a rear SS line to complete it. Seems like a decent package.

How hard is it to get to the ABS unit? Does the tank need to come off, and the airbox?, or is it possible to get to it by moving the radiator down a little or something?

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
The kit that Adventuretech sells apparently has the full kit, a +2 SS line from reservoir to junction block, and SS line to ABS unit, then a SS line from ABS to junction block, and two SS lines down to front brakes, plus you get a +2 SS clutch line, and a rear SS line to complete it. Seems like a decent package.

How hard is it to get to the ABS unit? Does the tank need to come off, and the airbox?, or is it possible to get to it by moving the radiator down a little or something?
The kit does sound interesting, I will have to look into it a bit more when I get the time. :yesnod:

The ABS unit is under the rubber flap at the back of the tank , I would think you will need to remove at least the tank & possibly the air box to make the job easier. :yesnod:

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't seem to decide if I want to go with Rick's SS set, or just take that top line in and have it extended. It seems silly to replace parts that are not broken or even worn, and this bike is only a few years old. It will be fine with its current hoses another 10 years most likely, and the SS lines will not be functionally noticeable either, so seems like a lot of money for nothing.

But then it would be nice to have it done, and that +2 Clutch line is needed to raise the bars I think, from looking at it, even though it would likely be a PITA to install.

Hmm, what to do?

I wonder what the stock length is of the Clutch line? has anyone replaced theirs that could supply a measurement?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I added a 6" extension from Heli-bars to the brake line. Looks like a bag of dicks but it works. $30 Nothing else necessary. I used the 1 1/4" risers, not the 2" adjustable.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I can't seem to decide if I want to go with Rick's SS set, or just take that top line in and have it extended. It seems silly to replace parts that are not broken or even worn, and this bike is only a few years old. It will be fine with its current hoses another 10 years most likely, and the SS lines will not be functionally noticeable either, so seems like a lot of money for nothing.

But then it would be nice to have it done, and that +2 Clutch line is needed to raise the bars I think, from looking at it, even though it would likely be a PITA to install.

Hmm, what to do?

I wonder what the stock length is of the Clutch line? has anyone replaced theirs that could supply a measurement?
Hey Bugzy we have not extended our clutch lines and have had the rox risers on for awhile now and there is no sign of stress/wear on the hose.

We did rotate the clamp on the hose on the front of the frame 180 degrees & this seems to have received a lot of the tension.

I will try and get a couple of pics up in the next few days.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Bugzy we have not extended our clutch lines and have had the rox risers on for awhile now and there is no sign of stress/wear on the hose.

We did rotate the clamp on the hose on the front of the frame 180 degrees & this seems to have received a lot of the tension.

I will try and get a couple of pics up in the next few days.

Cheers
Thanks for the info. Maybe I will go that route then and try to get it working with just a short brake line extension. I can't tell from looking at this if these risers will be OK with my stabilizer, so best to keep things inexpensive for now.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
OK Bugzy here are some pic's

Bars in the neutral position

& another showing behind the bars

The Rox Risers from left

& right

Full lock left without tank bag

& with, heated grips controller just hits bag

Full lock right no tank bag

With tank bag, nothing touches

Over head view with tank bag

And the bracket on the left side of the frame holding the clutch hose, we rotated it 180 degrees

These pic's were taken using GotaV2's bike and she has her bars back further than mine so you may have more room if you dont need them back much, my bars do not touch the tank bag.

Hope this helps. :smile2:

Cheers V2man & GotaV2

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
G'day Bugzy,

We bought new hoses and had them lengthened.

Cheers
Thanks for all the pictures.

Did you see how they added the extension on this? did they cut the old clamp off the block and replace it at the bottom first, or somehow reuse it?

I see the new one is black, did they just replace it? is that a common part?

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Thanks for all the pictures.

Did you see how they added the extension on this? did they cut the old clamp off the block and replace it at the bottom first, or somehow reuse it?

I see the new one is black, did they just replace it? is that a common part?
G'day Bugzy,

They reused the block and they painted it.

Not a common part, they were rather confused by it.

Cheers

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
I got the kit so I could install one inch up and back risers (not Rox Risers) but only installed the longer top line that connects to the brake reservoir (plus the clutch line.) I was heading to my tire guy to have new tries installed and let him o it. He didn't need to remove the tank but again only did the top part of the brake line.

I didn't need to change the cable. I don't recall if I did any minor re-routing.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the top part of the brake line off now, it wasn't hard, just need to be sure to disconnect the ABS connection to the block first before you undo the bolt holding the block to the bike. The rest was super easy. Turning the bars fully left exposes everything, so you don't need to take anything else off.

I will take the hose in tomorrow to see if they can lengthen it, there is a brake place right up the street. Hopefully they don't send me on a goose chase like I always seem to end up in doing custom stuff like this. I am going to add 3" to this so I have room to go with the Rox +3 if this cheapo +2 bar riser won't fit over my steering stabilizer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts