StromTrooper banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title says I headed out this past weekend for a short trip down into MO. My bike was bought New Years Eve and was one of the 2011's with free bags. It had about 1500 mi on it when leaving and most of this were short trips. I was with several BMW bikes 1150-1200 adventure bikes for the most part. When on the interstates they were running 75mph-80mph (on the GPS) 6000RPM+. After a overnight stay at the motel and removing my bags we then spent a day of riding in very twisty, state lettered roads where I was continuously shifting from 4th-5th-6th gear up and down and hitting 7000-7500RPM and the little wee just pulled like a Stromtrooper ....... I was more than pleased with the bikes handling and power and had no problems riding with the faster guys on big BMW's. These guys are a very hard riding group running posted 35mph curves 70-80mph. Even with this spirited riding I was able to get 45mpg and on the way home on the highway my last tank was 50mpg. Arriving home Sunday I had rode 760mi and consumed NO OIL... The oil was right where it was in the sight glass when leaving for the trip. This bike just continues to amaze me how well it pulls in all the gears and passing even loaded up for a trip with all bags full most of the time just pull out and gas it in 6th no need to down shift. This is my 2nd 650 Wee and for some reason this bike runs much stronger & less vibration. I know the guys with the new Glee's talk about this but my last year late year production 2011 does the same thing.

To add a little icing to the cake over a few beers the last night the group was discussing a member of the group going on a tour to the Isle Of Man coming up later this month. The question came up on what kind of bike he had for this trip. Oh he said I rented a V-Strom..... upon which several of them said " well that is a good choice as Doug has proven here this weekend it is a helluva bike" .... YES YES ...... 1 for the Stromtroopers...

To sum it all up I am very happy :thumbup: with the performance, fuel mileage and no oil consumption while riding this bike like it was stolen ....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Nice job telling the story of your ride.

I notice some derisive comments toward BMW bikers in various venues but for the most part I think MOST bikers of any type are pretty good folks.

I can back that up by the fact that two different BMWers at my work who both own at least two different BMWs have been very generous and supportive toward me and they like my VSTROM. One gave me a brand new $250+ (retail) First Gear armored riding jacket (" I never used it because I won a mesh jacket right after I bought it and I was really buying it as a spring/fall jacket - which my mesh with liner works fine for" )and loaned me some books on riding and touring and the other has provided me with a wealth of tips and info.

J

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
On occasions I have found some people riding BMW bikes to be a little standoffish but just as many I have found to be very friendly. Given a little time, I have found even the standoffish ones to be a nice group. It just takes a bit of "getting to know you" time. I think we are kind of known as the Labrador Retiver of the motorcycle world. We are always (most of us) ready to talk about motorcycles and some people are a little shy of us at first.

I am glad you like your Wee, I know I love mine. The is the smallest "regular motorcyle" I have owned in a long time (not counting my scooters). I was surprised at how well it pulls and handles. Pleased as punch with my Wee.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your comments and support of my post. I guess I am 1- 0f-Them so too speak when it comes to BMW riders. As my signature line reads I am a member of the Springfield Milers BMW Club who are infamous and widely known as being hell raisers and hard riders. However the Milers club is open to all brands we are around 100 strong and there is no back biting or Big ME little you in our club. As for me I just don't want to afford the $20K plus price for the BMW bikes all the maintenance cost anymore. I have owned countless BMW's in the past. I tell them I just ride these cheap Suzuki's and trade every couple of years.. It's our secret just how good these Suzuki's are huh :hurray:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts