StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Had a Grom for a year to try and not die and decided to get the bike I really wanted in the first place, a bmw 650. Rode one and didn’t like it. Found a 2012 wee 650 w 2400 miles and side cases for $4700. Rode home feeling nervous with all this new power, was parking behind my girlfriend on a decline and the bike tipped too far and I couldn’t stop it. 650 is much heavier than a grom and much taller.

Felt stupid but the guards protected it and now the fear of that ever happening is gone. Then I went home and googled how to lift a bike properly.

I’m enjoying everyone’s post and ordered a givi airflow already. Thinking about lowering links and a new seat.

All the best

Rus Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,407 Posts

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
Congratulations on falling over early in the game and getting the initial agony over with.
I've had many fall overs like that. Always park it in gear and be careful which way the bike is leaning to help avoid fall downs. Mine leans a lot so I try to park it so the slope is to my advantage.
I got the Wee because the prior bike, an 1100RT BMW, was way to heavy. Unless I have all my camping gear on the bike it's not bad to pick up.
If the Grom had fallen over you could have punted that sucker back up, no sweat!

If it's any consolation, I had the Wee fall over at the gas station as I tried to get it on the center stand the first time.
Luckily I hadn't opened the gas cap yet. That's when the bike got it's name...POS!

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Rus.

I think most of us have tipped over or dropped it, some while sitting on the bike, and some several times.
:grin2:

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Congratulations on the initiation. Mine fell inside the closed trailer bringing home, it didn't go all the way down but I did put a scratch in the plastic cover on the muffler.

I recently had my first real drop maneuvering around in a parking lot at night on the Blue Ridge parkway. I was trying to aim the headlight at a site map on the edge of the lot and bang; the bike was laying down.

It was really late, I had been riding since 10 in the morning and there was nobody around for miles; kind of freaked me out. I grabbed that bike off the ground and had it back up and standing and then thought, wow I bet that is going to hurt in the morning. Somehow it didn't.

It isn't the prettiest bike and it's not the fastest one, but it does seem to work well and run well. I've put over 12,000 miles on mine and really enjoy it.

Best.

Reactions: rustafari

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I grabbed that bike off the ground and had it back up and standing and then thought, wow I bet that is going to hurt in the morning. Somehow it didn't.
Isn't it funny how those bursts of strength can seem to come out of nowhere?

I've been lucky that I haven't dropped my 2012 Wee yet, but I specifically got one with the tipover bars to prepare for the eventuality.

My feat of strength came with my '98 Concours a little over a year ago. Long story leading up to it, but the end result was that I stepped off the bike while it was still running and in gear (kind of a high-stress incident). I released the clutch and the bike jerked forward off the side-stand. I suddenly had 700 lbs. of bike toppling my way.

I'd spent the last 2 winters doing plastics repair on the bike, as the result of tipovers and a crash. It was not going down again, if I had anything to say about it. Luckily, I had a curb behind me; I was able to brace against that and use my legs to fight gravity. Even so, it was touch-and-go. But ultimately, I got it back upright and was able to deploy the side-stand again.

I too remember thinking A) I'm going to feel that in the morning, and B) Time to add squats to my morning workouts.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Never dropped my 011 but once while on it.Was on back road by my self at a stop sign coming into a small town. Small hill made seeing over it hard. Eased out and one coming real fast! Brake easy then put right foot down with left on peg. Unseen road work at edge has a foot deep hole that I put the foot in and over I went.Bike moved down into the center of road.Got off and lifted the thing back up in one big lift. At over 70 it did hurt a little and spot in shoulder sore for a month. Glad you are ok and they sure are good bikes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi, My name is Josh, and I drop my bike sometimes...

Since it's so timely, I'll add to the welcome validation, lol.

Here's the temp patching I did today on the turn signal and shift lever after dumping my new-to-me k6 Vee off the side stand in the driveway last night.

My old UJM is so low and stable on the side stand, guess I need to develop a new habit of parking in gear with the Vee.

Welcome!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Bet if I went on the finding your roots show we are kin. :grin2: My dad was a good wrench and while not picking up the tear any thing down and put back together like new stuff sure got his patch and keep going ones. The work he did to other's trucks,tractors was so good and looked good.Our stuff ,if it works to hell with what it looks like!:grin2:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Josh your AA style opening was a hoot and really your work looks better than most of mine. Got my 011 Wee new in March of 012 just for a Alaska trip. While the three others were picking stuff out of mags and shop for the trip I got a large car trunk bag at a yard sale for a rear pack. Zip tied two hand wipe plastic cans with screw on tops from work trash for extra tools and chain oil.Took one of the plastic can off when back but the other is still behind the left box with same zip ties!:grin2:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Josh your AA style opening was a hoot and really your work looks better than most of mine. Got my 011 Wee new in March of 012 just for a Alaska trip. While the three others were picking stuff out of mags and shop for the trip I got a large car trunk bag at a yard sale for a rear pack. Zip tied two hand wipe plastic cans with screw on tops from work trash for extra tools and chain oil.Took one of the plastic can off when back but the other is still behind the left box with same zip ties!:grin2:
"Lord, grant me the serenity to buy the parts I cannot safely fix, gumption to fix the ones I can, and sense enough to know the difference."

Right on, man, I like the diy tour-pods! Yeah, I'll buy a new signal pretty soon, but that shifter peg might last a while - works better than I expected and didn't even need to go to a hardware store. I tend to live at both extremes. I sometimes buy OEM parts (at 2x or more of aftermarket price) and triple-check torque specs, other times I pull fun shenanigans like this or put a Duralast (gasp!) alternator in my wife's car. Depends on the job and the needs of the day, I guess.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dropping the Vstrom - no big deal.

I dropped my first wee strom too stopping on an oddly sloped patch of ground. It was a huge deal to me at the time. Then someone told me there are two types of riders - those who have dropped their bike and those who have not dropped it yet.

I upgraded to a newer we strom and one of the first things I did was lay it down on the lawn on both sides - just to get it over with.

I think we both feel much better now.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've dropped mine 4 times off road. A little splat in the mud, no issue.
Going up a steep rocky grade. Bang, ding, ow. I think that is when I dented the muffler. Picked it up, tried to get out of the mess, bang, ding, ow, again on the otherwise. Ahhh crap. No damage on the one.
Later that day I got tossed into the tun and laid it over against the hill. Turn signal came out if the plastics fairing. A nice plate on the back with a rubber grommet that catches on the plastic. Just popped it back in place.

Did bang up the exhaust. Proving that pretty little plastic piece does not do much.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Wait until you dismount...and forget to put the kickstand down!!!
Did that recently with the V-strom - no damage to the bike but the Barkbuster dented my '94 Miata garage queen. All the body damage to that car has been done in the garage...from falling fluorescent fixtures to bikes and door dings.

...I released the clutch and the bike jerked forward off the side-stand...
Did this same thing with my first bike - a Kawi Vulcan 500. Fortunately just some minor scratches on the engine guards.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Been around

Call my Wee ..my ugly little pack mule..One of the best motorcycles owned of over 30 in over 50 years. If its just for looks and I can't make one it will not be replaced. Missing parts and decals missing just give it along with seven last states dirt a ..I've been around and not a well waxed and cleaned poser look.:grin2:
I spent more time cleaning one wheel on my Harley chopper in a year than cleaning the road salt off my Wee since 012. A bike that looks right dirty! Ain't it great? >:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Welcome Rus and Josh,

My name is Michael and I'm also a Stromdrooper.

Seriously, welcome to the club: Stromtrooper, bike dropper, human race.

I'm on my second Wee. Parked and dropped the first one 3 times and this one once, after owning it for about two months. Most of the damage was to my fragile ego. I did berak my brake lever this last time and scratch the crash bar. Duct tape and a straightened L-bracket for support are doing the job until I put on the new brake lever.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.