StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm setting up to do a trip of 2000 miles over 5 days from SW Montana to SF Bay area and back and have a few questions that the forum may be able to answer.
Do you lube your chain in the middle of the day or just once at night when you stop?
Do you crank your rear shock preload to max when you load the bike for camping?
Do you raise the air pressure in the back tire for the extra weight?
How much fuel milage does a person lose with 30 cal ammo can panniers, running at 75mph indicated?
Does anyone know of good camping spots between Jackpot and Wells, Nevada?
Do cans of "Fix-a-Flat" work?

Thank you for any help or ideas!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
hints

I like to lube the chain at the end of the day, less mess and the lube will get a chance to soak the chain.
Experiment with the load adjustments, I was spoiled by my BMW, it had load leveling rear shocks!
Look into a proper roadside tire kit. Who ever does your tires will like it if you stay away from the canned stuff, messy to deal with.
Google KOA along your route, or camp grounds.
At 75 indicated your closer to going around 68MPH, depending on the rest of your farkles, I would guess around 48mpg?
I try to keep my food/drink stops seperate from gas stops, it may slow you down, but you'll feel better this way.
Pack wisely, and ride safely!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I could have typed the above reply. Word for word. I do exactly the samethings.

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
1. I've invested in a scottoiler
2. with stock shock, I had no more preload to crank :yikes:
3. yes, I lernt the hard way on my SV, long highway miles with a heavy load then ending in twisties with a heavy load = accelerated tire wear, I wore a set of tires out in 8 days (down to cords edge to edge) and ended up stranded 2 days waiting for tires 800 miles from home
I'd run rear at max inflation, front a couple psi under
4. can't tell ya, I have a Vee
5. cant tell ya that either, never been there yet
6. small air pump and plugs work better and don't require any more effort and also don't compromise the integrity of the tire like fix a flat chemicals do, an air pump also gives you the ability to air down for local hooliganism and then back up for lower wear with all yer gear & highway

first time I went on a trip, I brought waaaay tooo much stuff, pack light
minimal cloths, and quarters for laundry. if you plan on buying souvineer tshirts on the trip, then make that a plan and don't pack any extras

fwiw, pack at least a partial roll of TP in a ziplock bag

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1st Long Run

Thank you guys!!
These do help.
I'm not getting anywhere close to 48MPG running 75 indicated while commuting with just a top box. I suspect that it is all connected to the right wrist.
Thanks on the fix-a-flat, I didn't realize that it made a mess of the tire. TP is a good point as well.
It's a two lane road through Neveda, I'll bet I can find a place to hole up for the night.

k6 Wee
Madstad bracket and Adventure shield
SW Motech crashbars, skid plate and pannier brackets
Oxford heated grips (these are great)
headlight modulator

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
If you have never done a long ride before I'd strongly recommend you leave yourself some more time. 400 miles in a day is not a terribly long day, but 5 of them in a row is.

Also keep water on hand at all times. Every time you stop drink something. It's very easy to get dehydrated and you will know it by the end of the day.

Make absolutely certain that everything you wear is very comfortable. Something that is just annoying on a 100 mile jaunt is torture at the end of 2000 miles.

Make absolutely certain that everything you pack will stay where you put it. Don't assume it will, pack your bike, get out and ride it and make certain.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Lots of public land in that area, probably much the same as Montana. Find a dirt road, tuck yourself in and it's yours. I do like to be out of site when I can, and of course avoid Indian Reservations. I camped about 10 miles east of Wells off I80 once, a nice dirt road that went into the pinyons. Though there was a train in the middle of the night.

I carry fix a flat in addition to regular tubeless tire repair stuff including a small compressor. Fix a flat does make a mess in the tire but it gives you the option if you are not in a nice place/rain/dark. I have had a can fail. A few weeks ago I ran into a young BMW rider (a student I think judging by the almost bald tires) whose buddy was in the woods at their camp with a flat and I was happy to give him my fix a flat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1st Long Run

It has been 30 years since I last did a long motorcycle trip on my old BMW R60US. However I do 4 days spring and fall on a horseback cattle drive every year (but I don't have to be 100% sober for that trip)

Thanks for the help and ideas:thumbup:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Do you lube your chain in the middle of the day or just once at night when you stop?
End of the day, if the chain is lucky :green_lol: best to do it while the chain is warm, or so I hear. Usually I forgot until the morning. Or the next morning.

Set it for the proper sag, just as without luggage. But realistically, yes. I put mine all the way up for 180# rider + 80lbs luggage.

A bit. Maybe 38psi cold instead of 36.

How much fuel milage does a person lose with 30 cal ammo can panniers, running at 75mph indicated?
Lose? Dunno. You'll probably see a bit shy of 50mpg if you're really cruising at 75 indicated. I rarely went that slowly fully loaded, so I saw much less mileage :) Worst I saw was 33mpg cruising at 80mph GPS with frequent blasts to 90-100. :furious:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Slime?

"Slime" tire sealant claims not to prevent future professional repair. It's supposed to be water soluble so that it can be washed out of a tire. It's some sort of "goo" that transports rubber fibers, "congealing agents" and particles to a leak site and it's the particles and fibers that actually seal the leak, not the green "goo" itself. The "goo" stays liquid so it can be washed out. At least that's what they say...

I carry it (and a very small 12v air pump), but so far haven't needed to use it. Reviews are mixed of course, but even if it's not perfect at least it might enable me to ride to the next town and get the flat fixed properly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm setting up to do a trip of 2000 miles over 5 days from SW Montana to SF Bay area and back and have a few questions that the forum may be able to answer.

Thank you for any help or ideas!!!
This is my report 6 days 2500 miles
V-Strom Owners Site UK • View topic - The Longest day on the 18th June

preload on full. 16th front sprocket. run the bike @ 5.5k on the rev's gave very good mpg. make sure your tyre's & brake pads are good for the milleage. try a pre run pack your bike ready then reduce by half because you wont need it. If you find you do need something on route then buy it. until then you dont need it. best get one of these.
Stop and Go International - Tire Repair and Inflation Products then enjoy yourself.

Mine a DL650 GT 2010reg

·
Registered
532 Posts
My answers, have a good trip

ANS - Once at night when chain is warm as soon as you are parked, give lube time to soak in, dont move bike for 15min... lube more often in wet weather.

ANS - Yes but dont forget to check the front fork settings too, also use tank bags to distribute some weight forward and & keep heavy items low.

ANS - Yes at least 4psi

ANS - The condition of air filter+plugs, mountains, headwinds, and your right wrist will all effect mpg, you will know your own bikes figures after a day or two, carry a small container of fuel until you know, then donate it to a ma & pa garage for people who run out of fuel.

ANS - not always a good fix esp on a loaded bike, a tyre plug kit for tubless tyres is small, cheap, easy, light and more reliable.

I always fing the best places when I just look around while on tour it also stops you having to meet deadlines and riding beyond your fatigue (which will differ day to day).

store some hard boiled sugar lollies to help concentration if needed, but only use them for the last part of a long ride.

Hope you enjoy your adventure

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Once a day is plenty.
Yes.
Yes, 40-41psi.
Depends on a lot of things, but 44-47mpg is about what I average at those speeds. (With saddlebags and trunk)
I'm sure someone does. :)
Not very well. Get a "sticky string" kit and a compact compressor, or compact bicycle pump.

·
Registered
51 Posts
For what it's worth, I drove from the south bay to Missoula last month. From Wells to Jackpot, there didn't seem to be much in terms of developed campgrounds other than one picnic area next to a river a few miles south of Jackpot. You could probably stealth camp...
Other points worth mentioning are that the winds on I-80 east of Reno can be dodgey in the afternoon so plan accordingly. Also there is substantial road construction on I-80 just west of Truckee with a lot of uneven shoulders. If your schedule allows, consider going through south lake Tahoe and taking highway 50 to Sacramento. Just a thought...
-Kevin

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just did 3000km in 6 days.

with my Vee, 52L top case, 36L sidecases, 1" lowering, 0 preload. 41psi rear, 39 front.

while doing primary and secondary road (90 km/h limits), I managed 5L/100km (47 mpg)

On transcanadien highway, (110 km/h limit, 120-125km/h pace) or with spirited drivings on scenic roads, I was at 6L/100km (39mpg)

One of my sidecase was packed with my usual cloths for 5 days. The other one had everything I needed in case of rain (water-resistant coats, pants, boots and gloves). In my top case, I had tire repair kit, sunglasses, spare gloves, towels and small bottles of drywash and rain-x. I had room to put my helmets, glove and GPS in the topcase when stopping for a while.

I'd bring exactly the same stuff, as well as a tire-inflating device, probably a small one with CO2 cartridge.

I had a camelon oiler for the chain. 10s setting with original hipertech 190w synthetic lube. I watched the level of lube in the tube once.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
From Walmart "slime" brand little air compressor and plug kit.

I lube chain in evening

3rd day I would be in a NICE motel

run higher pressure like 38 and 41

wear ear plugs and carry microfiber for shield

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. I'm counting down hours till I leave. Thanks for the construction report, that will help.

I'll provide a full report on my return.

MontanaStrom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts