StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
September 27th - 30th.

I'll be leaving Flagstaff the morning of the 27th to ride up to Montrose, CO.

Montrose will be the base for the weekend. I have plenty of open floor to sleep on and a few beds in Montrose. Anyone is welcome to stay at the house. Feel free to find a hotel if you'd prefer. I may be able to get discounts if anyone is interested in that route.

Thursday's intention will be to get to Montrose and relax.

Friday and Saturday I have a few different ideas for enjoyable routes to take in the Fall colors.

One of them is: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...XCAeKiFA_hzFNl4tQZ-QXBQ&oq=mon&mra=ls&t=m&z=9

Another is taking the 90 out of Montrose to Naturita and looping back to Montrose on the 145/62. I haven't taken this route but I'd really love to check it out. I'm not sure of the road conditions other than they're dirt.

There are tons of options. I've taken Last Dollar road that shoots up over the mountains between Ridgway and Telluride on the Strom without issues. Dirt road, amazing scenery...

Sunday would be heading home. The route I'd like to take will be through Ouray and Silverton to Durango and then through Cortez.

Depending on how the rides go, how early we leave, I thought riding down to the Ouray Hot Springs would be fun one evening.

Anyone who's interested JOIN UP!!!!

It doesn't matter where you're coming from, meet up in Montrose on the 27th and we can go from there!!!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Looks like fun...it's making me home sick!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Extra post because I noticed that jdubyap and I both had 97 posts. Now I win, noob.
This could get ugly.... :mod2_2guns:

Postpone your prior commitment... Fall in the San Juans can't be beat!

Looks like fun...it's making me home sick!
It's only a few hours away.. Come on down! (or over).. :confused:

:thumbup:

·
Registered
326 Posts
fall colours

fyi:

the stretch of US-550 between montrose & ouray has a high concentration of deer/elk accidents, after the sun begins to set...

ride w/ extreme care, please

sw

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fyi:

the stretch of US-550 between montrose & ouray has a high concentration of deer/elk accidents, after the sun begins to set...

ride w/ extreme care, please

sw
I can certainly vouch for that! I ride through this stretch a few times a month, ALWAYS after dark.

The fencing and road constrution they've done in the last few years has helped A LOT. Keeping your eyes open and slowing down does wonders as well....:thumbup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Oh man!!!!

I might be in, but I'm probably out. This looks awesome though. Hopefully I can make it next year.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh man!!!!

I might be in, but I'm probably out. This looks awesome though. Hopefully I can make it next year.
If anything changes or you feel like getting out of town for just the evening, stop by!

I do plan on making it a yearly ride for sure!

·
Registered
900 Posts
My wife wants to go to Scotland and maybe visit Rome as well. She puts off the fall vacation (aniversary) so I can go archery hunting. Sooooooo Fall colors ride, or divorce, fall colors ride, or divorse, fall colors ride, or divorse,:confused: divorse = living under a bridge on I-25 for the rest of my life. Guess I'll miss this one.:bom_bigcry::bom_bigcry:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My wife wants to go to Scotland and maybe visit Rome as well. She puts off the fall vacation (aniversary) so I can go archery hunting. Sooooooo Fall colors ride, or divorce, fall colors ride, or divorse, fall colors ride, or divorse,:confused: divorse = living under a bridge on I-25 for the rest of my life. Guess I'll miss this one.:bom_bigcry::bom_bigcry:
Ahhhhhhh living under a bridge isn't that bad....... solid shelter, govt. upkeep, comforting tire hum, interesting neighbors. :thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just spent the last 3 days camping about half-way between Lake City and Creede. I was suprised to see the colors starting to turn. While riding back home over Slumgullion yesterday, I saw lot more red and orange up there than 3 days before. It seems to be starting sooner this year. I'm going up and exploring above Ouray tomorrow (9-4) I'll see what it's like up there.
Anyway, I hope you have a good time around there. I'll keep watching this thread. Maybe I could meet you for ride.
Take care, Mike

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Coming down from Kenosha Pass on 285 to Denver. That one just stuck in my head for whatever reason. Beautiful colors.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just spent the last 3 days camping about half-way between Lake City and Creede. I was suprised to see the colors starting to turn. While riding back home over Slumgullion yesterday, I saw lot more red and orange up there than 3 days before. It seems to be starting sooner this year. I'm going up and exploring above Ouray tomorrow (9-4) I'll see what it's like up there.
Anyway, I hope you have a good time around there. I'll keep watching this thread. Maybe I could meet you for ride.
Take care, Mike
I was touring from Ouray to Ridgway and around to Telluride and down towards Dolores over the weekend. I did see a few trees trying to change, but not much. There's going to be cooler temps towards the end of this week in the Southwest, may speed up the changing process..

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any takers?

Two weeks to go!!!!!!!

Anyone else joining the ride?

:thumbup:

·
Registered
326 Posts
pic location

Where was this picture taken?
the picture was taken on the STONY PASS ROAD between CREEDE & HOWARDSVILLE

that pass is very popular w/ the DS crowd

the scenery was as pretty & even prettier than the picture, all across the state, on & off pavement

you guys are going to need a lot of ammo for your cameras

& don't forget extra batteries

shiny side up

sw

1 - 20 of 26 Posts