StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to re-thread one of the spark plug holes on my Shadow. I've got a tap & die set, but nothing as large as 18mm. Is there a local shop in Northern Virginia where I might find one? $16 seems to the online price, but I'd really like to find one sooner.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
You can get a spark plug thread tap at just about any auto parts store.

Sometimes, not always, a threaded insert is a better answer than a tap.

If you run the piston to TDC and take a long, thin, strip of rag and stuff into the cylinder you can then proceed without a huge worry relative to 'filings' laying around in the combustion chamber.

PS make sure that your pull the rag out when you're done...

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think the rag trick would be even more effective if it were slathered with grease before inserting it into the cylinder. A shop vac with a small nozzle held by an assistant would probably help with the cuttings too.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can get a spark plug thread tap at just about any auto parts store.
I wasn't even thinking it could be found at an auto parts store. Panic mode had set in. My sad luck that this plug hole is in a deep well, so I might just have to live with the filings.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Grease up a thread chaser. It's used with a spark plug tool so a deep well is not a problem. A tap has a tapered end and might "want" to cut new threads.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
If you use a tool that is not specific for spark plug holes, be sure it has the same thread pitch as the spark plug threads...same number of millimeters per thread.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it's fixed in a way. I was able to find an OEM spark plug tool at the dealership and cranked the hell out of it until it was in. I'm able to back it out and inspect the threads on the new plug and they don't look damaged, just slightly ground. I also got a thread chaser just in case, but I wasn't needed. Good tool to have though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts