StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a used XT and the PO gave me a fork brace (no clue what brand) that was uninstalled. Figured it was simply a matter of "didn't get around to it" but when I went to put it on, there was no way it was gonna fit. I've got one on my '09 so I'm definitely convinced I'd like to install a brace. So, looking at the front fender on the XT, it appears as if the fender has two mounting points--high clearance and regular--and it's the molded fender bosses that are obstructing the brace fitment. If I moved the fender to mount in the upper holes, meaning the fender would be in the "regular" height and not in the high clearance height, it's possible the brace might fit. Is it possible to mount a brace to the new XTs? Is there a brace that's specifically made for this model?

Thx--Bubba

·
Registered
67 Posts
Recently bought a used XT and the PO gave me a fork brace (no clue what brand) that was uninstalled. Figured it was simply a matter of "didn't get around to it" but when I went to put it on, there was no way it was gonna fit. I've got one on my '09 so I'm definitely convinced I'd like to install a brace. So, looking at the front fender on the XT, it appears as if the fender has two mounting points--high clearance and regular--and it's the molded fender bosses that are obstructing the brace fitment. If I moved the fender to mount in the upper holes, meaning the fender would be in the "regular" height and not in the high clearance height, it's possible the brace might fit. Is it possible to mount a brace to the new XTs? Is there a brace that's specifically made for this model?

Thx--Bubba
Check out Adventuretech

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Post a pic of the brace. I have an old style brace and after raising my fender had to flip the brace around facing the other way to make it fit. The new brace that Adventuretech makes is a different design and should fit with a raised fender.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Post a pic of the brace. I have an old style brace and after raising my fender had to flip the brace around facing the other way to make it fit. The new brace that Adventuretech makes is a different design and should fit with a raised fender.
OK. Finally getting back around to this thread. I did contact the PO and he stated the brace was from AdventureTech. I'm guessing the fender on the XT has two mounting points on the fender bosses--one for normal clearance and one for mud clearance riding off-road. I ran into this exact problem with my '09 Wee riding in sloppy, muddy conditions on a road that had been half dressed with crushed limestone. Wore right thru the plastic!

I'm guessing if I move the fender to the upper holes on the fender bosses, I'll have enough space for the brace, but obviously lose clearance between the fender and tire.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Ok, there is a raised portion of the fender, right in the middle that prevents the fender from it's max height(hits the brace). I took a heat gun to my fender, then pressed the brace into the soft plastic making a dimple/pocket there so it all fits together with no issues. I have a 2015, you results might vary.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have a 2018 650XT. I bought the ADVTech brace, and the ADV tech fender raiser. I had to cut a slot in the fender to be able to fit the brace. It looks fine and no one would probably notice unless I pointed it out to them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 2018 650XT. I bought the ADVTech brace, and the ADV tech fender raiser. I had to cut a slot in the fender to be able to fit the brace. It looks fine and no one would probably notice unless I pointed it out to them.
Did you install these at the same time? I've got a 2017 XT which I assume would have the same issue. I'd very much like to avoid hacking into my fender haha.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure what that is in the circle, but it is not there on my 17 XT
That's a molded boss in the fender for mounting the fender (where it attaches to the forks). I think the PO must have used a raised mounting kit to move the fender up an inch or so. The bike has knobbies (Shinko 804/805s) and it's obvious it has been ridden off-road. Haven't yet decided whether to put it back to stock and install the brace....or leave as is. :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts