StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to install heated grips. On my '15 650 I used an Eastern Beaver adaptor cable to plug into an OEM circuit specifically for heated grips.

Does the same apply to the '18 DL1000?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Yes I believe it does. I use the Oxford heated grips and they shut off when the battery reaches a certain level. They plug right into the battery, works really well.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I just installed the Oxford Heaterz on my new to me 2014 DL1000, and went right to the battery with the terminals. I tested the auto off feature in the garage, works fine. General consensus here is that works well, and has not failed or left anyone stranded with a dead battery.
On my 2012 DL650, I wired the grips to the accessory plug behind the radiator with an Eastern Beaver connection, but they didn't have the auto off feature.

·
Registered
31 Posts
To the op - I just used an EB adaptor to power my GPS with the factory heated grip connector. It was hard to find, if you have the tank off you can see it from above @ 11 oclock inside the frame behind the radiator. You can fish it out without removing anything, just barely from the left bottom, as it is heavily taped. Test with a meter to identify the 12v side after you plug in the adapter.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
If you have trouble picking up a switched power supply to operate a relay or a EB power supply the horn is a easy place to get it.

Just a piggyback terminal on the power side of the horn.

The horn operates by having switched positive power to one side and the button gives it the earth required to make noise.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The newer Oxfords actually recognise when the engine is not running and shut down on a timer rather than when voltage drops.
After a few minutes they go into standby then shut down a few minutes later.
This allows short stops such as for fuel without having to reset them.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
It is the voltage drop that tells the controller the bike has stopped, then the timer takes over.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Mine would be about 5 years old I think ??? and they have that feature.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I found two available connectors. One was the infamous one behind the radiator that was a pita to fish out. The other is inside the front front fairing and is nothing like I've seen before. The EB HG adaptor did not work on either of these. Their "Accessory Adaptor" worked for the one behind the radiator.

Is there a definitive diagram showing which connector is for what, and rated at what output?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone have a picture of the HGA connector on a '18 1000xt? I could not find it anywhere.

According to EB it should be the same cable for the '18 as per my communications via email. The one listed here:

OTHER

I could not find any connector on the bike that would fit that cable.

For the record, I had the tank off, radiator loosened and moved forward, and had a decent view. No luck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm thinking there is something new/changed on this '18 xt that no one has documented yet.

I found this connector inside the right front fairing that I have not found any mention of yet... this is perfectly placed and staged waiting to be used... unless it's some sort of sensor that it highlighting my ignorance.

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
Air temp sensor?
Exactly what I am thinking. The gauge of wiring is also very thin. Best to leave that one alone and plugged in.
Webfors, the plug behind the radiator is where I put my money for the accessory plug. It’s where it is on the 650’s. Can you upload a picture of that connector?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To close the loop on this thread, I ended up wiring to the battery. Works great and I tested the power save feature. Works great.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For those that are hesitant to wire the Oxford touring grips directly to the battery, don't. Now that I've ridden it this way for a couple of weeks, in cold weather, I wouldn't wire it any other way. It's great for short stops where you turn the bike off briefly, do something, then jump back on. The grips are still nice and warm. Nice not to have to reset the grips every single time I have a quick stop.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Heated grip connector is here:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts