StromTrooper banner

'18 DL1000 Test Drive

5K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  jokermtb 
#1 · (Edited)
I test drove a '18 DL1000 XT today. I'm still trying to gather my thoughts, so I will post more over the next day. That being said, I came away from the test drive looking forward to getting on my '15 DL650.

Positives:
  • Brakes - front brakes were a big improvement. Tons of bite, and took me off guard at first
  • Suspension - front suspension isn't as dive happy, which is needed with upgraded brakes
  • Power - solid increase in power, especially torque starting at 3k rpm
  • Windscreen - OEM windscreen is an improvement over the stock DL650 windsreen, but not as good as the Givi Airflow I have

Negatives:
  • Noisy - I found the engine noisy and unrefined, when compared to the 650. Lots of clakity-clunk going on
  • Clutch - assuming it can be adjusted, this point might be moot, but the clutch left something to be desired. There was a distinct lack of mechanical feedback and little to no transition, more of an on or off feeling
  • Shifting - shifts ok, but not as smooth as the 650
  • Skwirmy - For some reason I found it mildly unstable at 70-80MPH. Could be suspension setup, preload, or the like, not sure. It did not inspire confidence at highway speeds
  • Seat - was harder than my 650, or maybe it just needs some miles
  • Maneuverability/Agility - I did not feel as comfortable tossing the bike around at low speeds like I do with the 650. Again, this could just be a "getting used to it" thing

There's no doubt that many of the upgrades/addons on my bike may have helped skew my perception. My Givi AF, Augustus Deflectors, Fork Brace, all contribute to a positive riding experience. When I handed the keys back to the sales manager I asked if it was possible to put that power and brakes into my bike. And this was before the drive back to work on my 650 which reinforced my initial perceptions.

All that said, it's important to recognize that the DL650 is a really good bike! I was considering swapping it out for the 1000 before the rally, and that test drive sealed it for me. I would rather drive 5000KM on my 650 than that new 1000.

Take it for what its' worth, but that was my first impressions. I may test drive it again over the next 48 hours for a second taste and I'll report back.

Update:
Drove the same bike again today, twice, and some of the points above are no longer relevant. I also have the bike for the weekend due to the dealer replacing the head bearings on my DL650!

Agility: felt just as nimble on the bike this time around as on my 650.
Clutch: A longer test drive resulting in getting used to the clutch. It's more sensitive and requires a more delicate touch. That being said, I found it very light, and easy to use.
Shifting: Notchy shifting did not stand out this time around. To be fair I'm running 20w50 in the 650, so she shifts like creamy butter, even after 4k miles on the oil.
Twitchiness: Still found it twitchy when playing with the bars at highway speed, but when not, it was dead straight.

Overall, I'm impressed by the bike, specifically the brakes and power. The instant torque is addictive. And after a full weekend of it I'm sure I've sealed my fate.

See less See more
#2 ·
One thing that might be mentioned is tires being a differentiator. However, the demo 1000 had the same tire combo I'm running, a pair of Shinko 804/805's. I found that interesting considering the bike only had 2800km on it. Why would it have knobbies with such low mileage...?

#5 ·
If you want to like your 650 even more put 4 pot calipers on it (used from e-bay), Intiminators into the forks and get the shock re-sprung and re-valved. Then ride the DL1000 again and you will be even less inclined to drop all that money into a new depreciation.

#7 ·
Webfors, the clutch in the 1000 is hydraulic, not cable, so there is no clutch adjustment per se. The only adjustment outside of grinding on the clutch master cylinder pushrod is the lever-to-bar distance for comfort and, to a degree, engagement point.
I'll agree that the 1000 engine isnt as smooth as the 650. But to me, it isnt obtrusive at all, more of a characteristic of having 2 good-sized pistons doing their thing as opposed to the smaller 650 units.
The immediate low- and midrange power, to me, more than makes up for that. At 70-80 mph in 6th my 1000 is very smooth. Again, to me. And this is coming from long-term ownership of 4-cylinder engines. My Honda CB750 is buzzy at certain rpms, my ZRX1100 is glass everywhere what with its crankshaft counter-balancer.
As you said, the 650 is a really great bike. I swap between a friend's '14 DL650 and my ''14 DL1000 on rides. Both purchased as new/leftovers Jan '17.
I bought mine for commuting, sport-touring and multi-state rides. And for those purposes it's been ideal in every way. Off-roading and dirt is not in my riding regimen. For me, the seat is comfortable, has plenty of legroom, excellent instrumentation, handling, steering, suspension, and the torque is alway right there right now when wanted.
It's entirely possible that your highway instability is a tire thing. I'm on my 2nd set of Bridgestone BattleWings, and the bike is supremely stable at speed.
The 1000 windscreen is on-0the-fly adjustable for rake, and has 3 positions for height via Allen wrench.
I have the '18 screen on my 1000, far better than the original screen the bike came with.

#9 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that there must be more going on with respect to the skwirmy highway feeling. The bars felt twitchy and there was a lot of it depending on cross winds or turbulence from other cars. I was cruising 70-80 through a downtown stretch with a good amount of traffic. Would my fork brace make that much difference?

I tried the three settings on the windscreen, and it is very good. But it did let some uglier air in than my Givi AF, but definitely a huge upgrade over my old stock screen.

Regarding power, it was addictive no doubt. Lots of power, all the time. But I couldn't enjoy it because the noise, there was no sweet exhaust sound like on my 650. Just mechanical "thrashing". This could be a result of the muffler being up high vs down low. Maybe an aftermarket muffler would drown out the unpleasant noise by adding pleasant noise.. ?

I think I need to drive it again to see if I just had a biased day :grin2:

I really wanted to like it, and I was ready to pull the trigger if I did.

#8 · (Edited)
My .02 having owned a 2012 650 and now owning a 2014 1000:

The suspension on the 1000 is much better. I had Ricors in the 650 and they improved the forks no doubt but they're not in the same league as the 1000. Where it's most noticeable is when the bike is leaned over going over less than smooth pavement. The 1000 is much more compliant and settled feeling vs. the 650s tendency to want to "skip" if that makes sense. The 650 just didn't feel as solid compared to the 1000. Not to mention you can actually exteranlly adjust the 1000s forks.

Front brakes, the 1000 has much better feel at the lever besides more power. My 650 had the OEM brakes so maybe upgrading to a 4 pot caliper, steel lines, bigger master cylinder, fork brace, etc. could get into similar performance but the 1000 is really good to begin with.

Yea the motor on the 1000 is not sewing machine smooth like the 650 but it's much more the motor I want on a bike The way it's tuned for torque makes a more relaxing ride for me. You have to buzz the 650 through the gears to get anywhere near the acceleration the 1000 has just looping along. Want to pass at highway speeds (80ish) just twist the throttle on the 1000, I had to downshift the 650. Not a big deal of course on the 650 it's just a little more frantic.

Clutch on the 1000 takes some getting used to I agree. I moved the engagement point closer to the lever and I can live with it.

Low speed yea the 1000 is a bit more top heavy feeling than the 650. Bigger pistons and stuff moving around. I got used to it pretty quick. I actually prefer the 1000 in the dirt though, more like a big dirt bike than the 650. Funny if you watch the Motorcyclist Big ADV comparison videos they talk about how light and nimble the Vee was compared to the other bikes.

Edit: just noticed the comment about the 1000 feeling squirrely at speed. Make sure that the forks aren't raised. I bought my 1000 used and the owner had pretty much done all the setup recommendations from the WebBikeWorld review. They complained about the bike not wanting to turn in quick so they raised the forks 10mm, that's the way my bike was setup. After riding it for a awhile it felt kind of nervous at speed sometimes. I lowered the forks back into the OEM position and it's nice and solid feeling more so than my 650.

#11 · (Edited)
Great feedback. It sounds like all of the issues I listed are things you simply get used to, assuming there is another explanation for the highway speed "twitchiness" and the stock screen can be replaced with an AF. There is no way I could get used to that "twitchiness". My 650 at the same speeds is smooth and steady. It must be a preload or tire pressure setting. I'll check these before my next test drive.

So it sounds like if I can get used to my gripes above, the power, suspension and brakes really start to shine.

I have watched several ADV comparisons, and you're right. The DL1000 always surprises the reviewers with how smooth, agile and comfortable it is. Those other bikes must be rough brutes :grin2:

#12 ·
Web, try a regular DL1000 instead of an XT of you can.
The noise you hear is something I dont hear on my DL1000. Unless youre just more used to your quieter, less vibratory 650. It took me a week or so to get used to the power characteristics of the big VTwin over my ZRX. One thing for sure--I NEVER get the hand/finger tingles on extended rides on the DL1000 as I used to with a couple of Fours Ive had and others Ive ridden.
As always, it all depends on your preferences, your riding style, and what floats YOUR particular float. I really like the 650. I just happen to prefer the 1000 for its additional power and content.
Long distance and swapping bikes, I noticed the 1000 tachs 1000 rpm lower than the 650 at 70 mph+. Much more relaxed at 80+ mph. Downshifting to pass on the 1000 is purely optional. It's a torquer, not a revver. Doesnt need to be. But it's power characteristics, sound, extra weight, may not appeal to you.
Purchase for YOU, no one else.

#16 ·
Hi V-Tom , agree that the DL650 is a very good bike .

I'm waiting for cornering abs to be added like its bigger sibling .

Don't know if that will happen or not .

And Webfors when I had my suspension upgraded the biggest improvement was the loss of dive in the front suspension , its like a different bike now .

As for front brakes , yes they're pretty weak but adding EBC HH pads helped heaps and I put in a braided Galfer line kit .

Actually I don't use the brakes a heap , let engine braking do its thing where I can

Reactions: Webfors
#23 ·
They are both nice bikes. I've got friends with 650s and I ride a 1000. Biggest difference for me is size.

Mine, not the bikes. I'm 6 ft, a generous 230 pounds and I'm just more comfortable with the greater horsepower, especially while carrying my panniers, top box and wife. My much lighter friend currently has a 1000 and he's switching to the 650 to save on insurance and fuel. I honestly don't think he will notice much difference on the lighter bike considering his size.

I test rode the 2018 1000 two weeks ago with no intention of trading in my 2006 but one ride and one hellofva offer from the dealer and I'm pulling the trigger.

#24 · (Edited)
I've only owned a 1000 but thought i would add my thoughts on some of the comments. I didnt have the ability to test ride, so my first ride was a 50 mile trip home after owning a ZX9 for 17 years or so. Other than the initial parking lot squirm leaving, i was used to it right away.

Clutch - I came from a hydraulic clutch, and it felt the same for me. I guess i didnt notice any difference, and my feathering ability was no problem
Noise - i guess i wish it was louder, But i feel its smooth. I also noticed the closer i got to 2000 miles it seemed to smooth out further. Maybe its just me.
Squirmy - The only time it gets squirmy for me at high speed is in traffic, usually a TT, or heavy wind. This is with an Airflow and top case as well. This year i have been commuting on the highway more, so i feel i am just getting used to it. I dont feel unsafe, just a nuisance until i get in some good airflow.
Windscreen - I actually bought the "18" windscreen for my 16, and didnt do squat for me.

#26 ·
Erock Quote:Windscreen - "I actually bought the "18" windscreen for my 16, and didnt do squat for me."

Sorry the '18 screen didnt work out for you.
My original oem Suzi screen on my '14 1000 was horrific in terms if wind noise at highway speeds. I found a new Suzi Adventure screen for $50 on E-bay, looked great, was 2" wider and taller, but about a 20% improvement at best. The '18 screen is about 95% there, and I can easily live with that. But...
The '18 Suzuki Accessories Catalog shows "Touring Windscreen". It looks similar to the Adventure screen but has a moveable "wing" at the top edge.
If I find myself with additional $$ and no place to put it, I may give that one a try.
But I'm OK with what I have on the bike now,

#28 ·
EBC Double H pads ordered all around. Should be here tomorrow and installed in time before the I leave for the rally.

Now I'll need that Intiminator to address the fork dive. That should help with my DL1000 brake/fork envy. Seems like a big job though...

#29 ·
Web, just my opinion, but it's a shame that Suzi equips their 1000 with what they consider premium features and treats the 650, as good as it is with their bargain stuff.
I could easily see a 650-800 model with USD forks, radial mount calipers, smaller and lighter. In short, a 3/4-7/8 DL1000.
I guess price was the major factor here.
But it's interesting...many buy the 650 and spend all kinds of $$ to get the kinds of improvements the 1000 came with.

#30 ·
And it wouldn't even add that much to the price of the bike.

The reality is, outside of the brake pads coming, the majority of what I've done to my 650 would need to be replicated on the 1000 (luggage, extenders, stands, heated grips, EB circuits and relays, screen, etc).

#32 ·
Web, I believe this is just a respectful difference of opinion in one way.
It depends on your riding style and regimen and your personal preferences, desires, and expectations of the basic motorcycle itself, not the accessories,
In my case, my DL1000 came with the oem accessory side cases by mistake(as in FREE!). To that I added Suzuki Accessory/Bags Connection ringlock tank, Suzuki England rear rack bag, Lower Cowl, Hand Guards, Center Stand, and matching Top Case(for when I need even more luggage capacity), and the afore-mentioned windscreen.
But the comfort, ergonomics, POWER and its delivery, steering, suspension, and braking of the motorcycle itself won me over. I didnt have to reinvent or re-engineer the wheel for me to enjoy every minute on the bike.
I'm not interested in heated grips, extra or different lighting, power points,relays, etc for my riding. But again, that's just ME, others have different needs and wants, which is as it should be. Your bike, your money, your decisions.
I had a discussion with my Suzuki sales manager this past Saturday. I asked about sales among the brands he carries. It's a large mega-dealer with all the Big 4 Japanese brands, plus KTM, Harley, and Indian. He told me that Suzuki really doesnt sell all that much at his shop, and that the Vstrom is their biggest Suzuki seller. How hard would it be to expand the Vstrom line between the 2 current cc classes and come up with a mid-sizer with the best features of both, lighter, smaller, and perhaps less expensive than the largest?
Similar to how auto manufacturers are dumping sedan and coupe models in favor of SUVs and CUVs with all manner of sizes and trims.
The manager even allowed that of the GSX-R line, only the 750 sells because that is the last remaining 750 sportbike.

#33 ·
As promised I test drove the same DL1000 again today, twice, back to back with two test drives of a '18 Tenere. The DL1000 felt very light, agile, loads of power and the brakes were excellent. On this test drive it did indeed feel like a more powerful version of the DL650, with a little more raw engine noise. I felt MUCH more at home on it than the Tenere, which I'm going to need some time to process and possibly ride again to provide a full analysis. Great bike, really comfortable, loads of power, loads of electronics, but not nearly as agile as the strom. Where the Strom leads *you* into the corner and happily invites falling into any curve, the Tenere needs to be pulled into the corner and not nearly as willing a participant.

The good news? They sent me home with the DL1000 for the weekend because they are replacing the steering head bearings on my DL650 and it wasn't going to be ready before the end of day.

Now that's a good warranty and dealer!

#37 ·
I can say my new 2018 1000xt has been great to ride on the toll roads,/hwys at speed.

Had great power when needed in all ranges. Low and mid range torque fantastic, hi end torque really good too.

Just passed 300mi, on it.

I waffled between the 650 and 1K too, but went with the 1K, and to me, was a better choice for the added power and weight for hwy running.

Yet, is still nimble on local riding.

Just my two cents.

In the old days I rode a Suzuki 500 Titan a couple years, a '73 I think.
Until someone hit me in a parking lot. ☹

#38 ·
I've got a 2006 vstrom 650, and when I sat on the new 1000, I was really surprised that it felt like a much smaller bike than my 650. I really liked how compact it was, yet the riding cockpit was just as roomy as my old 650. Some wizardry at work here! Suzuki was definitely playing to the Vstrom gang when they made this latest version - It will definitely be on my short list, if and when I decide to part with my wonderful single-plugger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.