StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: The subject heading is off. I meant to say 16t!

Changed the front sprocket from 15 to 16 teeth over the holidays and went for the first test drive today due to the exceptionally balmy 32F weather. It definitely feels taller, needs a tad more clutch to take off fast out of first gear. I am sure I’ll get used to it, but first impression is that the bike loses a bit of its peppiness. Only had it briefly up to 65mph so cannot make any claims about increased comfort while cruising, which is my main aim.

One slight disappointment: I had been reading here on the forum how it also fixes the speedo running fast, but this is not the case for the 2017+ 650, apparently. The speed is still indicating 7-8% high, unchanged, so this model V-Strom seems to measure at the wheel not the gearbox. I did not pay attention to which subforum I was on when I read this, apparently.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,210 Posts
Changed the front sprocket from 16 to 17 teeth over the holidays and went for the first test drive today due to the exceptionally balmy 32F weather. It definitely feels taller, needs a tad more clutch to take off fast out of first gear. I am sure I’ll get used to it, but first impression is that the bike loses a bit of its peppiness. Only had it briefly up to 65mph so cannot make any claims about increased comfort while cruising, which is my main aim.

One slight disappointment: I had been reading here on the forum how it also fixes the speedo running fast, but this is not the case for the 2017+ 650, apparently. The speed is still indicating 7-8% high, unchanged, so this model V-Strom seems to measure at the wheel not the gearbox. I did not pay attention to which subforum I was on when I read this, apparently.
Don't know about the 2017+, but the 2012-2016 will have a near perfect speedometer reading with a 16 tooth. The 17t makes the speedometer read slow in those bikes. I too tried the 17t, but pretty quickly went back to the 16 as the 17 just seemed to be too tall for even highway riding.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are definite changes in construction between the models. I didn’t have to move any clutch cable to get to the sprocket nut, for example, contrary to videos I had seen.
I’ll give it a few hundred miles but I may switch back as well. It should be easy now that the factory threadlocker-from-Hell is gone.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I would think the 17 will get it's reading from the front ABS sensor like the V2 1000.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kfh000, thank you for pointing this out. I don’t know what I was thinking when I wrote 17t. Yes, stock is 15T, and what I added was a 16T! Doesn’t seem like I can edit the subject heading in my original post otherwise I would. Sorry to all about the confusion.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I changed from 15T to 16T. Dropped RPM in 6th by exactly 250. Didn't have the bike long enough to see if there's any change in MPG, but I suspect not. The lower RPMs are probably offset by the additional HP required to push the higher gearing.
DEFINITELY notice a difference is pulling out from a stop in 1st.
Overall, probably worth it just for the lower RPM and long term less wear on everything.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Does your bike still have the speed sending unit at the front wheel? If not it may be the same as the V2 that apparently uses the ABS sensors to measure the speed. That would explain why there is no change.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Yep, RM ATV says the speed is taken from the front wheel. Mechanical it looks like.

54600-05D00 BOX ASSY, SPEEDOMETER GEAR $90.75 $72.60

Probably have to get a larger front wheel 21" to get the speedo accurate. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts