StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed the front wheel on their VStrom to a 17"?

I do not ride off road at all, and I would like to have better tire choices than are available for the 19" wheel. I am not looking to make my bike into a Motard, so don't give me the blues about that.

I am just wondering what the pros and cons of changing to a 17" would be, as well as finding a 17" wheel that would fit. I assume the SV is running 17's, so that might be an option.

So, if anyone has already done this, I would like to have more info on what is involved.

Wayne

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Sell the bike and buy one of the 6-8 bikes that come with a 17" that are an "Up-Right" riding position like the Versys.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not interested in a Versys or any of the other bikes. Would just like to have better tires for road use. If this mod is not possible or is cost prohibitive, then I will just keep using DS tires and deal with it. There is a reason that street bikes do not have block tread, off road, or DS tires and I think my bike would handle better for the way that I ride if it had better, street oriented tires.

Just trying to find out if anyone had done this before.

Wayne

·
Registered
39 Posts
It has been done

SV650 front wheels from the same year will fit the DL650. I am unsure what was done to address the speedo difference. There was talk of just using the SV speedo drive, not sure if that would work. You will need to keep your original rotors as the SV have smaller diameter rotors. So yes it has been done, can be done and will change the ride of your bike.

·
Registered
875 Posts
If you've seen the bike with a 17 front, it looks bizarre.

There are a couple good street tires available for the 19 inch wee front. The reality is you are going to hit the limits of brakes and suspension on the wee before you hit the limits of the tires currently available, so why bother.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Just happened to think also that dropping the front an inch is going to change the loading geometry. You might want to consider dropping the rear an inch to compensate.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
eye surgeon, you are probably right about the suspension unless that gets upgraded as well, but block tread tires do not inspire confidence (at least to me they don't) in high speed turns.
It seems as though there should still be a market for top of the line 19" street tires, but I guess the manufacturers don't see it that way. I have several old 2-stroke street bikes that all have 19's on the front and I am running Bridgestone BT45's on them, but they are much lighter bikes.

My Wee still has the original Trailwings on it and I have a set of Battlewings to put on it when these are worn out. I'll see how they work and then decide what I will do.

Wayne

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
There are a number of 100 and 110/19 street tires out there. Conti just came out with Road Attack 2s for example. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/0/0/Motorcycle-Tire-Finder/Tires.aspx#&&Back=5-3-6-1-0-0-0 lists tire that will fit our front rims.
Good call, Mr. Wolf. I stumbled on the 19" Road Attack when I was looking for the Trail Attack. I have several thousand miles on it now, and it's night and day compared to the T-Wing. Great grip, turns like nobody's business, and it's treadlife is quite good.

Good luck on the 17" deal, I've considered it too, but the issues seem to outweigh the benefit. Give the Road Attack a try, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I'll have to agree that it is more trouble than it's worth. I'll give the Road Attacks a try one the BW's are used up.

Wayne

·
Registered
875 Posts
Also, you can still buy a set of Pilot Roads on ebay.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't see why more riders here don't give the metzler Z6 roadtechs a try, I'm on my 3rd set and got 10K out of the last 2 sets, there classified as a "sport touring" tire, there fantastic and with my front end lowered and my superbrace I couldn't ask for a better canyon carver tire.

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
Imho, the battlewings suit the bike perfectly. My wee's cornering ability is not limited by the tyres, but by its lean angle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good call, Mr. Wolf. I stumbled on the 19" Road Attack when I was looking for the Trail Attack. I have several thousand miles on it now, and it's night and day compared to the T-Wing. Great grip, turns like nobody's business, and it's treadlife is quite good.

Good luck on the 17" deal, I've considered it too, but the issues seem to outweigh the benefit. Give the Road Attack a try, you won't be disappointed.
1+ on the Conti Road Attacks. I put them on my '08 DL1000 yesterday. Amazing how much difference in the handling. It wants to stay where I put it in the corners now vs having to make mid turn adjustments like the TW's.

:thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts