StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the Strom is supposed to be an adventure tourer and I absolutely love my Wee-Strom. Thing is, I almost never venture off the pavement. I guess my touring is more sport than adventure. What I really want is a middleweight sport tourer and if I can fit a 17" front wheel I might just have the perfect ride for me. Don't know that it would handle that much better but there sure would be a better selection of tires. I read on the VSRI board that a fellow did fit a front wheel from a 2003 SV650 and was wondering if wheels from other Zuks (there are lots of them on ebay) might fit the Wee. If you look at the Suzuki web site, all the wheels look very much alike. Any of you fellows done any research on the subject?

Thanks,

Clyde :-D

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Speedometer Concerns

I know that the Strom is supposed to be an adventure tourer and I absolutely love my Wee-Strom. Thing is, I almost never venture off the pavement. I guess my touring is more sport than adventure. What I really want is a middleweight sport tourer and if I can fit a 17" front wheel I might just have the perfect ride for me. Don't know that it would handle that much better but there sure would be a better selection of tires. I read on the VSRI board that a fellow did fit a front wheel from a 2003 SV650 and was wondering if wheels from other Zuks (there are lots of them on ebay) might fit the Wee. If you look at the Suzuki web site, all the wheels look very much alike. Any of you fellows done any research on the subject?

Thanks,

No, but I would think it would throw your speedometer off on the Wee.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, but I would think it would throw your speedometer off on the Wee.
Even with the 19" wheel, the speedometer only gives you a vague idea of your actual speed.:mrgreen: Got to get a bike speedo or GPS if you want to know how fast you are going.:D I have both.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts

Thanks,

All the 03+ SV650 wheels are the same, so any of those will work. They're a little pricey though because all the racers want an extra set for rains, so that drives up the cost.
I don't know of another bike that uses the same wheel.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Covered

Even with the 19" wheel, the speedometer only gives you a vague idea of your actual speed.:mrgreen: Got to get a bike speedo or GPS if you want to know how fast you are going.:D I have both.
Sound like you're covered, then.

Just one thing. You know that speedometer problem you see described on this forum that people buy corrected speedometer faces for ?

I've actually had cars parallel me on the expressway with their window down to tell me their speed, and I've always been at the same exact speed as they are. This is at highway speed, too.

I just don't understand why some have this problem and other's don't. :confused:

Oh well, glad you've got this problem covered.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My riding is similar to yours but I don't see the need to change to a 17". Many of the tires offered for the 19" front have plenty of grip. You can grind the pegs all day with most of the 90/10 dual sport tires. The pure street tires for the Strom are even better. Money for the 17" conversion would be better spent on suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looking at the 17" wheel conversion. but only if I can pick up the wheel for cheap. I'm talking under $100 cheap.
If I find one for $100, I will junp on it.:mrgreen: I know the 03 or newer SV650 wheel will work... I was hoping to find that other Zuke wheels would work also.
Clyde:cool:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the 19" wheel is one of the biggest advantages the strom and other dualsport type bikes have over sportbikes , no it doesn't turn in as fast, BUT it has more contact patch and can turn in at higher speeds
The advantage, that I can see, of the 17" wheel is the much wider availability of street tires.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sound like you're covered, then.

Just one thing. You know that speedometer problem you see described on this forum that people buy corrected speedometer faces for ?

I've actually had cars parallel me on the expressway with their window down to tell me their speed, and I've always been at the same exact speed as they are. This is at highway speed, too.

I just don't understand why some have this problem and other's don't. :confused:

Oh well, glad you've got this problem covered.
The speedometer on my Wee is off by about 7% which isn't too bad. The Speedo on my ST1300 is off over 9%. At an indicated 80 MPH, I am only moving along at 72. I understand that a speedo shouldn't read low but you would think they could get closer than that!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
226 Posts
The speedo drive is not off the front wheel, it's read off the counter shaft. Front wheel size is not an issue for the speedo accuracy (or inaccuracy as the Wee is concerned).

You'll lose a bit of front ground clearance, look out for that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The speedo drive is not off the front wheel, it's read off the counter shaft. Front wheel size is not an issue for the speedo accuracy (or inaccuracy as the Wee is concerned).

You'll lose a bit of front ground clearance, look out for that.
I believe the speedo drive is off the front wheel on the Wee and off the countershaft on the Vee.;)

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I believe the speedo drive is off the front wheel on the Wee and off the countershaft on the Vee.;)
BINGO ! The Wee is Wheel driven & the Vee Is Countershaft driven Speedometers respectivly.
So a Fromt wheel that is 2"in diameter smaller whould be requiring a different Drive unit ( Possibly from an SV650???) :???:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ya learn something new every day. I haven't had my wheels off yet. I just assumed it was like nearly every other bike out there.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Whem I bought my Strom I had visions of bounding through off-road trails and the like! After I crashed, those visions changed, to visions of not bounding through off-road trails and the like. Now I have visions of carving through the great roads we have here in CO. I have a 2002 XR650R that I can ride off-road and it is far more predictable than the 600 lb V-Strom. Since I didn't plan to do a lot of off-roading I have thought of locating a 17" front wheel as well. After some riding took place with a friend of mine I changed my mind again. He rides a 2004 CBR600RR and he have hit the road together about a half a dozen times now. I have found that my Vee can stay right with him in a lot of the tight sections and only when the road opens up a little he will start to pull away. That coupled with the fact that I have a friend with a GS1100BMW and will more than likely go on some fire roads with him made me rethink what I wanted. The Vee, with the TWs, will hang with a sport bike pretty well. It will also hang with a hard core adv bike too. You know what this tells me, we have a kick ass bike guys!! Don't change sh!t, and ride the h*ll out of it, it is an awsome machine!! HAPPY STROMMING!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dude! your strom weighs 600 pounds? you been feeding it doughnuts? LOL!
Chan,

My Wee weighs 600 lbs with me on it!!!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Why change the wheel? Just raise the forks by 1/2 inch.

The speedo runs off the front sprocket. You can fix it by getting a Speedohealer. It is pretty easy to install. I have one which cut the error rate to under 5% even after I changed my sprocket.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts