StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am strongly considering going with a 16T sprocket on my '06 Wee. But I have 2 questions for you guys:

1) Do I need to remove (break) the chain to perform the job?

2) I've already installed a corrective speedo face to correct the MPH issue. Will putting on the 16T sprocket throw my MPH off again?

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom.

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
I am strongly considering going with a 16T sprocket on my '06 Wee. But I have 2 questions for you guys:

1) Do I need to remove (break) the chain to perform the job? No. Just loosen up your rear axel, kick the tire forward to get enough slack in the chain to pull it off the front sprocket.

2) I've already installed a corrective speedo face to correct the MPH issue. Will putting on the 16T sprocket throw my MPH off again? Eh...no. The Strom works off a speed sensor on the front wheel. Changing tire sizes throws it off, not your sprocket.

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom.
See above.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a 16T put on a few weeks ago and love it.

Dealer put it on without messing with chain.
Speedo runs off front wheel(I think) so it will still be off.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I move to the 16 tooth sprocket at 22,000 miles (now at 43,000 miles) and then wished I had done it when I first bought my Wee.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I replaced my chain and sprockets this spring, going to the 16T. I like that the bike has longer pulls before needing a shift, and I can cruise at 50 mph in 5th gear at about 4k rpm. It truly makes 6th an overdrive.

However, I am evaluating the mpg performance and thinking about going back to a 15T. I thought the bike might get better mpg--not that I'm complaining. But, with about a 2,000 miles on the new set up, it seems to be getting slightly poorer mpg. I think it's because the engine is under more load dealing with the taller gearing.

Anybody else have this experience?

Brent

·
Rjsurfer
539 Posts
Does the DL1000 run off the front wheel? if it doesn't, speedo will be effected.

Ron W.

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
I replaced my chain and sprockets this spring, going to the 16T. I like that the bike has longer pulls before needing a shift, and I can cruise at 50 mph in 5th gear at about 4k rpm. It truly makes 6th an overdrive.

However, I am evaluating the mpg performance and thinking about going back to a 15T. I thought the bike might get better mpg--not that I'm complaining. But, with about a 2,000 miles on the new set up, it seems to be getting slightly poorer mpg. I think it's because the engine is under more load dealing with the taller gearing.

Anybody else have this experience?

Brent
Give it more time to make a definitive call, especially if you're talking about having added it this spring (isn't it still spring?). Weather and other conditions play a bigger part in your MPG. Let it get into the warmer months and then see how it goes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was thinking to try this out as well. I always feel that the rpm's on my Wee are too high. It is probably just me and my experience in driving cars, I now drive a Nissan Murano - which has a CVT - and I can cruise on the highway going 120 km/hr (75 mph) at slightly above 2000 rpm's.
Very different when one compares with the Wee...
I am thinking to wait until I have to change the chain - I have about 5500 miles on it now.

·
Banned
593 Posts
No need to wait... slide the wheel forward and install the new sprocket. I didn't wait very long, and it was definitely an improvement for me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yo Brent, After 10,000 miles on the stock sprocket I switched to a 16T for about 5,000 miles and thought it was perfect for my SoCal freeway riding. However, after reading some posts on this site, I switched to the 17T and have never changed back -12,000 miles so far. Plenty of power for me (I'm an old guy and no longer need to get anywhere really fast) and "calmer" while cruising at freeway speeds - indicated 80mph is about 5K rpm. However, I did not see any significant change in MPG with any of the sprockets. I still get between 50 and 54 mpg no matter what kind of ride I'm on.

·
Administrator
13,334 Posts
I had a stock front sprocket for the first 10,000km/6,000 miles. For the next 96,000 km/almost 60,000 miles I have used 16 tooth sprockets.

I've recorded my mileage the whole time and never saw any mileage change that I could attribute to the sprocket.

The bike does feel a bit more relaxed at highway speeds, though, so I like it.

..Tom

·
Registered
360 Posts
It runs at about 3,800 RPMs at 55 mph with the 16 tooth sprocket. As others have pointed out the mileage is basically the same. The big difference for me is that I seldom try to shift into '7th' gear now.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Does the DL1000 run off the front wheel? if it doesn't, speedo will be effected.

Ron W.
The 1000 runs off a sensor that looks at a special trigger wheel bolted to the counter sprocket nut keeper, so... right off the output shaft of the engine. Change sprockets, and you change the speedo.

I dropped a tooth in the front on mine to get the revs up, as 65 is just a tad slow for top gear to be happy on the 1000 and going into work at 75-80 was probably not a good idea. While it was fun to be going at an indicated 100mph most of the time, and the torque off the line improved, I realized it didn't slow me down like I had hoped, and took it off.

Mileage did not seem to be all that much impacted, just a few percent.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Installed a 16T front sprocket on my Wee today. I am much happier with the gearing ratio now, with first gear being usable around small roundabouts now and only needing to use five gears riding around town to keep things above 3K. Top gear finally feels like an overdrive. The gearing seems much taller now, almost like when I test rode a DL1000 and I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Interesting comments ... thanks. My last MPG was 61.5--295.5 miles on 4.8 gallons of gas. I'm not complaining about a 300-mile range on the motorcycle. That's what I would normally get with the 15T--60+ MPG.. Those of us who own 2007+ models are getting better mileage. I do like the taller gearing of the 16T, and now find myself cruising in 5th gear instead of 6th.

BTW, I'm putting on a new Tourance on the rear, Monday. It's still got a little tread left on that flat spot, but I think 13,868 miles is sufficient, don't you?

I love this motorcycle.

PS: If you're interested, I've started a year-long documentary project: A Season of Riding, http://www.sojournchronicles.com/2010/05/a-season-of-riding-an-introduction/. It's available on You Tube, also, search for the Sojourn Chronicles channel.

Brent

·
Registered
184 Posts
I understand what everyone is saying about the 16T resolving the high RPM issues but I was curious if switching from stock to the 16T would cause the bike to be more sluggish when twisting the throttle from a dead stand still? Or would it cause th bike to be quicker off the line?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts