StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a couple of searches, but could not find the answer. I know a 16T front sprocket (with rubber damper) from a different Suzuki fits on the DL650; at least I've seen it talked about. Can someone provide bike/year and maybe even Suzuki part number if you have it?

I put aftermarket 16T on my bike, and it's a bit noisier, so I want to try the one with the rubber damper.

Thanks, Jason

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
27510-20A10 from the GSXR600.

·
Registered
25 Posts
16T

Put a 16Tooth on my wee and this thing has woke up on the highway. As they sauy you notice it on the bottom end and starting off a little....I will go back to the 15 T for mountain road riding or cayon riding...But this trip to florida 16 T all the way..ridefast99:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
600 Posts
FWIW I've been using a 15/45 setup which is about 2/3's of the way to the 16 front/47 rear. I like it.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
For "about 2/3's of the way", a 16/48 would also do.

The 16 should be rather kinder to the chain than a 15-toother : but I don't know whether the extra life would be super-impressively more. Ought to be something, though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What is the most widely used set up on these bikes? My chain is just about shot and I am thinking of changing the gearing while I am doing the chain. Thanks

·
Vendor
5,008 Posts
SV Racing Parts Chain and Sprockets Combination

Hi, The most widely used Chain and Sprockets Combination on our DL650 bikes is the 15 - 47t 525 Sprockets Combination by far,

The next most common combination ordered is the 16 - 47t Combination,

After that is the 15 - 45t Sprocket Combination,

All these 525 Chain combinations are in stock and ready to ship right away,

BTW: The challenge in going to 16 - 48t is that the 48t rear sprocket in steel is not all that readily available as the demand for 48t steel sprockets is not great,

Let me know if I can help you out at all,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
25 Posts
What are the main advantages and disadvantages of going to the 16 tooth front? Just wanting to hear what others think about the change. Also, what style chain do most of you use? Oring, xring, or standard? I am mainly a vintage bike guy and just use standard chains on them.

·
Vendor
5,008 Posts
SV Racing Parts, Chain and Sprockets Combinations

Hi, The most commonly used Chain is the X-Ring today, it is more efficient at retaining the lubrication,

The reason for going to the 16t front sprocket for some is to have a bit taller gearing, The idea is that with it the gearing is a bit taller and will provide lower RPM for cruising and commuting,

The Stock Gearing is 15 - 47 so the 16 has the net effect of make the gearing the equal of 15 - 44 which is also the same as stock gearing on an SV650s model,

Both are easy to ride,

I have been stocking and shipping these chain and sprocket combinations for my fellow Stromtroopers for a number of years now,

Let me know if I can help you out,

Blair

·
Registered
22,333 Posts
What are the main advantages and disadvantages of going to the 16 tooth front?
really depends on yer riding style and where ya ride, I ran a 16t on my SV mostly cause I ride a lot of gravel, the slight drop in torque to the rear wheel helps with traction, the disadvantage is said to be slower acceleration, but I didn't find that to be the case, when my riding buddy would be in 4th with a 15t, I would still be in 3rd, less shifting is one of the advantages and also not searching for the elusive 7th gear

Just wanting to hear what others think about the change. Also, what style chain do most of you use? Oring, xring, or standard? I am mainly a vintage bike guy and just use standard chains on them.
I've never found an advantage to go beyond a oem quality o-ring, I wear sprockets first, the one time I did try a standard chain thinkin I could cause I run a scottoiler, it was a failure, the standard chain that cost half as much only lasted 1/3 as long

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I'm thinking of going the other way - lower gearing.

Is there any advantage vis-a-vis chain life in keeping the stock front sprocket and going up two or three teeth on the rear sprocket?

Disadvantages?

Fitment issues, availability?

·
Registered
22,333 Posts
I'm thinking of going the other way - lower gearing.

Is there any advantage vis-a-vis chain life in keeping the stock front sprocket and going up two or three teeth on the rear sprocket?

Disadvantages?

Fitment issues, availability?
slight increase in tire wear cause of the increase in torque ?

to me gearing is all about getting you in the right rpm range for your routine riding and getting the performance you want

the only fitment issue with adding teeth is that add too many and you gotta lengthen the chain, not a big deal with a new 120 link chain yer only gonna cut shorter, if you already have the chain cut to length it might mean buying a new chain or cutting it to add a couple links

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Vendor
5,008 Posts
Hi, The biggest issue with going up in the rear from the DL650 47t Sprocket is availability, Pretty much none existant in steel over 48 and they are hard to find,

In hard anodized aluminum I can custom order any size rear and get it to you at the regular Chain and Sprocket Combination prices,

I get asked for the big rears all the time,

The easiest route is to go to the 14 front if you want lower gearing and keep it all in steel,

Let me know if I can help you out,

Blair

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
slight increase in tire wear cause of the increase in torque ?
I could live with that.

to me gearing is all about getting you in the right rpm range for your routine riding and getting the performance you want
Dirt_Dad put one on his wife's 650 and said it made it more fun in tight backroads, which would be my goal.

I get asked for the big rears all the time,
.......and who doesn't?

I figured that I'd have seen more posts by now about going up on the rear, if it was a more viable option.

Thanks.

·
Registered
22,333 Posts
Originally Posted by randyo

I could live with that.

Dirt_Dad put one on his wife's 650 and said it made it more fun in tight backroads, which would be my goal.

s.
if I lived in yer area, I'd prolly want shorter gearng as well, based on my trips to your area, the backroads of NNE are not as tight and have more surface imperfections, frost does its damage (ya, I've seen a little on the higher elevations of the Cherohala, but nothing lke here) our mountains are more often rolling hills

I do remember the first couple trips to the dragon on my SV were when I was still stock 15t a run was 2nd gear no shifting , and when I went back with 16t, I had to downshit to 1st in a few curves , but around here I find myself having to shift less, cause I ususally never made it past 3rd, when I had the 15t, I was in 4th more often but with less power on tap

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Originally Posted by randyo

if I lived in yer area, I'd prolly want shorter gearng as well, based on my trips to your area, the backroads of NNE are not as tight and have more surface imperfections, frost does its damage (ya, I've seen a little on the higher elevations of the Cherohala, but nothing lke here) our mountains are more often rolling hills

I do remember the first couple trips to the dragon on my SV were when I was still stock 15t a run was 2nd gear no shifting , and when I went back with 16t, I had to downshit to 1st in a few curves , but around here I find myself having to shift less, cause I ususally never made it past 3rd, when I had the 15t, I was in 4th more often but with less power on tap
I had a 16T for a while and couln't wait to get rid of it, just for the reasons you outlined so well.

Thanks for saving me the typing.

There are plenty of spots where I'd like a little extra grunt in second gear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts