StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had excellent performance from a Bridgestone BT 020 on my ST1300. I'm wondering if a 160/70 R17 profile BT 020 can be fitted to a Vstrom 650 rear rim in place of the 150/70 R17 OEM tire?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It will fit. I had a 160 Michelin Pilot Road on for a while. I didn't like it. It felt vague when leaned over. The wider profile gets pinched and the contact patch moves to a less desirable angle.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I was running a 170/60R17 ME880 on the rear of my WEE and that was not a problem at all. It handled fine and those tires wear real slow. Not sure how good they are when wet, I took it easer in the rain. I was running a Tourance in the front.

EDIT: Note that this tire is a little larger in diameter and changes gearing by about 4%. Together with a 15T front sprocket it dropped the RPM's by 10% making it a more pleasant mile eater for riding out west. On the other hand takeoff from a stop requires a bit more clutch, like almost starting of in 2nd. But quite manageable even fully loaded with gear for a long trip. I was very satisfied with this setup for long distance touring. For local riding I would swap the rear wheel, my second wheel had Turace on it.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I was running a 170/60R17 ME880 on the rear of my WEE and that was not a problem at all. It handled fine and those tires wear real slow. Not sure how good they are when wet, I took it easer in the rain. I was running a Tourance in the front.
I've read in numerous postings that the Metzler 170/60R17 ME880 was a popular tire swap with V-strom high mileage riders. I may give them a try on mine. I ran 130s on my 1982 Honda GL500I Silverwing for years. They handle very well and are very good in the rain. I still rode conservatively in the rain because you never know when you will run across a streak of oil or transmission fluid under the rain.

·
Registered
22,275 Posts
darksiders are using 205/50-17s and 205/55-17s on stock v-strom wheel....... is a 170 pinched, to a degree, I spose

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just found out that Pirelli makes an Angel GT for OEM fitment to the V 650. That's all the tire I need.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Car tires don?t have the profile problems pinched bike tires do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts