StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I just returned from a 4 day trip that involved far too much highway time. The engine just feels too frantic at a indicated 75mph. So the solution must be here in Stromtrooper.

Somewhere in this forum is a post about replacing the front sprocket with a 16 tooth count. I looked and could not find the all important post with the OE part number for the sprocket. I do want to retain the rubber damper and genuine quality part. I recall it might be a Gixxer sprocket? Sooo... can anybody confirm part number and bike application? Greywolf, I suspect you supplied the correct OE number. Additionally do I need a replacement nut and washer? Left hand or right hand threads and torque specs.

Thanks in advance.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
27510-20A10
That is the correct part from a GSX-R600. The nut can be reused indefinitely unless marred. The toothed washer can be reused about three times if carefully straightened and re-bent in a different place. 09167-25028 is the washer number. The book says 105lb-ft but use 83ft-lb, the spec for exactly the same nut on the DL1000. The spec is for blue Loctite too.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
16/43 works great on the Vee. Not sure how it would play out on the Wee. :beatnik:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fabulous. On my way to the Stealer now to order it.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Greetings,

I just returned from a 4 day trip that involved far too much highway time. The engine just feels too frantic at a indicated 75mph. So the solution must be here in Stromtrooper.

Somewhere in this forum is a post about replacing the front sprocket with a 16 tooth count. I looked and could not find the all important post with the OE part number for the sprocket. I do want to retain the rubber damper and genuine quality part. I recall it might be a Gixxer sprocket? Sooo... can anybody confirm part number and bike application? Greywolf, I suspect you supplied the correct OE number. Additionally do I need a replacement nut and washer? Left hand or right hand threads and torque specs.

Thanks in advance.
I take it you've seen this.....

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/82134-14t-front-sprocket.html

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I read the 14 tooth post. My needs would be the 16 tooth sprocket. I want to reduce the hurried feel of the engine. For the off road adventures I would go on it would be just dirt roads, no monster single tracks and dirt hill climbs.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Frantic?

When I'm at 75 indicated my bike is at 5k RPM. It's still at the bottom of the revs.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will take the accurate speedo reading. As it is right now I rely on my GPS for accurate numbers. FYI Speedo indicated 75MPH translates into 71MPH on the GPS.

Thank you all of your help and information.:hurray:

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have a brand new one that I won't be using that I'll sell to you. 16 tooth Suzuki part still in the plastic bag With the rubber damper.
Doug
801-471-4211

·
Registered
66 Posts
Frantic?

When I'm at 75 indicated my bike is at 5k RPM. It's still at the bottom of the revs.
As a reference point, with the speed correction, I'm running 5700 rpm @ 75 mph.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a brand new one that I won't be using that I'll sell to you. 16 tooth Suzuki part still in the plastic bag With the rubber damper.
Doug
801-471-4211
I'm interested if the other guy doesn't get back to you

J @ 603-770-4152

·
Registered
66 Posts
that's almost the perfect RPMs to pass with.
It's a little 'grating' for steady travel though. I'd much rather drop it in 5th to pass than feel like I need to shift to a non-existent 7th gear :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DMNordin, I already put my money down. Wish I had known sooner, rat farts!
By frantic I mean buzzy. I am by habit always wanting to click up to a 7th gear to get the engine spinning at a more relaxed pace. And yes I would rather row the shifter and drop a gear to accelerate "briskly".
This makes me think about the old but functional Honda Trail 110 with the dual range transmission.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I guess I'll leave mine alone. I really would like a lower 1st for off road but I also would like higher gearing for the superslab for economy. However, I don't find the engine to sound "hurried, frantic or particularly buzzy" at a true 80 MPH. I guess the factory gearing is the compromise. If I lived in Hawaii or E.Tennessee, W. NC, etc., I would go for the lower gearing and just gear back up for trips. Unfortunately, here in S.Fl. there is hundreds of straight, flat superslab miles to get to any nice riding areas. I can't wait until I get my teleporter working.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I too would like a higher ratio for sixth gear. However, I ride my bike off road and would not want a higher first gear.

DMNordin, I already put my money down. Wish I had known sooner, rat farts!
By frantic I mean buzzy. I am by habit always wanting to click up to a 7th gear to get the engine spinning at a more relaxed pace. And yes I would rather row the shifter and drop a gear to accelerate "briskly".
This makes me think about the old but functional Honda Trail 110 with the dual range transmission.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I too would like a higher ratio for sixth gear. However, I ride my bike off road and would not want a higher first gear.
Too bad we can't buy a replacement 6th gear only...or can we?

·
Registered
14 Posts
That is the correct part from a GSX-R600. The nut can be reused indefinitely unless marred. The toothed washer can be reused about three times if carefully straightened and re-bent in a different place. 09167-25028 is the washer number. The book says 105lb-ft but use 83ft-lb, the spec for exactly the same nut on the DL1000. The spec is for blue Loctite too.

Will this also work on a 2014 too?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts