StromTrooper banner

16-tooth sprocket--what's the deal?

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  GrayStrom 
#1 ·
Next chain, I plan on going to the 16 tooth front. I want to hear from others who have done it. Do you like it? Does it do what you were expecting? Any disadvantages? Thanks.

loblo

#2 ·
I went to a 16 tooth front a couple of months ago and have been pleased with the results. It feels more "Relaxed" on the interstate in that RPM is down about 500 from the 15 tooth. I get a bit better gas mileage on the interstate, maybe 3 or 4 mpg. There is a slight reduction in low-end torque that I expected to be more of a problem, but it's hardly even noticeable.

All in all I'd do it again.

#3 ·
ok here we go...
Advantages:very slightily better gas mileage on open roads but you feel that the motor is going now more relaxed on the high speeds or above 60 miles or 100 km.
disadvantages:When you are climping a mountain with tight turns and twisties and you are two up riding maybe you want keep the rpm a bitter higher because then you feel the motor getting tired more quickly.
It all depents where you live...on open and flat roads or on mountain areas....

#6 ·
I'm assuming, as are others who've answered, that your ride is a DL650; if you have a DL1000 it's a whole 'nuther answer. Like tmcgee says, it's not everyone's cup o' tea. I love the change, but most of my riding is on back-country highways where I like the more relaxed feeling. If you want to see my write-up (including installation instructions) look here:
16T conversion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.