StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking to do a stock to 16 tooth front sprocket conversion because I spend so much time on the freeway at higher speeds (75-85). I know the process as outlined by someone else on this site but they required the use of an air impact wrench that I do not have. Is there a way to switch the sprocket out without using one? And if not is there anyone in the LA area that could help me out one day with the switch? And barring that, where can I rent one?

Also, does the different sprocket mess with the odometer readings? That is....will it rack up miles at a disproportional rate to that which they are actually increasing by?

Thanks!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
If you are in the right forum, your '04-'11 Wee has the speedo/odo sensor on the front wheel so the speedo/odo won't be affected. Bend the lockwasher flat and use a long breaker bar or a pipe over the handle for leverage. Some people use the rear brake to lock the wheel in place but I put a 2x4 over the swingarm an through the spokes. Be careful of the rear brake hose or anything else that may run over the swingarm. Heat can help if the nut is stubborn. A 32mm or 1-1/4" socket works. The manual calls for red Loctite and 105lb-ft of torque. I question the need for Loctite with the bent tab lockwasher there and would not use 105lb-ft. The DL1000 has much more power, uses the same nut, and calls for 88lb-ft.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi,

I'm looking to do a stock to 16 tooth front sprocket conversion because I spend so much time on the freeway at higher speeds (75-85). I know the process as outlined by someone else on this site but they required the use of an air impact wrench that I do not have. Is there a way to switch the sprocket out without using one? And if not is there anyone in the LA area that could help me out one day with the switch? And barring that, where can I rent one?

Also, does the different sprocket mess with the odometer readings? That is....will it rack up miles at a disproportional rate to that which they are actually increasing by?

Thanks!
An air impact wrench makes simple work of getting the nut off, but if you don't have access to one, there are a few other ways. Make sure you have a big breaker bar. You'll never do it with just a regular ratchet.

Its probably best not to do it against the transmission, so leave it in N. What you can do is stick something like a piece of wood or a metal rod between the rear wheel and swingarm to keep it from turning or have someone sit on the bike and hold the rear brake.

Since its the 650, no it does not affect the speedo since its read off the front wheel. You'll enjoy the 16t sprocket. Its a nice change for the highway.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm in Orange County and have an impact wrench and torque wrench if you need help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in Orange County and have an impact wrench and torque wrench if you need help.
Any chance I could drive down and meet you one weekend day for half an hour or so for the swap? I'd really appreciate the help :thumbup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Any chance I could drive down and meet you one weekend day for half an hour or so for the swap? I'd really appreciate the help :thumbup:
No problem at all. I'm riding both days this weekend so I won't be around, but we can figure out another weekend. I'm also available in the evenings after work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No problem at all. I'm riding both days this weekend so I won't be around, but we can figure out another weekend. I'm also available in the evenings after work.

That would work great. I'm in the middle of midterms at two different colleges so I'd probably be free around early to mid April at which point I'll send you a PM and figure out a date. Thanks so much! :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts