StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the addition of a 16 tooth countershaft sprocket, now 16-47 gearing my speedo is dead on. I verified with my Garmin GPS. I used my trip odometer and gps to measure the accuracy of my odometer. 100 miles on the Garmin was measured by my bike as 95 miles, 5 % lower than true. Adjusting for the mileage error I'm geting about 43 mpg mixed freeway and city streets and only 32 mpg at 85mph / 6K rpm on the freeway. I found this to be quite dissapointing, I get 9 mpg better on my 900 lb Victory Cross Country Tour. I did have my metal side cases on so I'm sure I could add a few mpg's without their wind drag. Next I will run through a tank of fuel without the side cases and now more than 75 mph and see what results I get.

I also have Shinko 804's on my bike, I wonder if these have more rolling resistance than street tires. If they do I wouldn't expect a significant amount.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,213 Posts
43 mpg seems low for around town. Probably near 10 mpg low. Are you checking the mileage manually? Cause if using the bikes mpg readout you won't get anywhere near real figures in my experience.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I have never heard of anybody getting a fuel saving when going up a tooth on the countershaft sprocket on a 650 if that is what you were looking for.

On my Wee I got a fuel saving when I "dropped" one tooth from the front.

The Wee does not have enough HP to comfortably pull through the air so a greater throttle opening can be required to maintain speed, adding 1000rpm helps with that.

I have never owned a Glee so can't really make judgement on that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
kzryder9: I did a double cross country tour in the past year, and found my Wee was really affected by both my saddlebags/extra weight, and high speeds. I can get nearly 70 mpg indicated at home (imperial gallons) which is probably about 51 mpg actual, US gallons. With the bags and gear, doing 90 mph on I-90, I got as low as 40 mpg indicated per imperial gallon. (more like 30 mpg US gallons)

I think the wind resistance is as bad as speeds above 70 mph.

·
Registered
501 Posts
On a New England trip, I got a high of 63 mpg on the slower two-lane parts, but dropped to 41 mpg when in the 80 mph range on an interstate heading home - '15 650XT with the black box OEM bags (no top bow but a drybag). I'm running a 15:48 gear set, so a little higher rpms in all speeds but a little bit better for the woods.

·
Registered
139 Posts
43 mpg seems low for around town. Probably near 10 mpg low. Are you checking the mileage manually? Cause if using the bikes mpg readout you won't get anywhere near real figures in my experience.

Agree with Terry on doing a bit of math vs. reading it on the instrument panel. I'm running the 16/47 combo on my 013 650, readout lets say is 50mpg.... after several fill up this last year and doing some math the gauge will be 3-4 mpg low on average. I don't bother much anymore just adjust visually from the read-out what I'm prolly getting........:thumbup: I do check on octanes of fuels and from what suppliers that seem to work best in my southwest ride regions, but that'll be another thread to chase.......:green_lol:

Guess I should add @ 60-65 mph I average 55/56 @ 75-80 mph I average 49-50...without side bags, small trunk in place, 20"mastad.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I bumped my 2012 up to a 16 front as I just do fire roads and no single tracks. The difference on launch is barely noticeable but at time on hills I have noticed me downshifting when I really didn't think it would have been necessary before. My speedometer is now spot on but I have not compared the odometer but I think it is off. On an average ride which includes a little fire roads but mostly 2 lane back roads I used to get 55-57mpg. Now I get 48-50 according to the bike and 51-52 according to me. I am fine with that. This is with a Givi V46 trunk but no bags. I did a 3,000 mile plus trip with bags and trunk and I was putting 200+ miles on a tank without any worry. No idea on mileage as I was in Canada and I never converted the liters to gallons. Max I have run a tank since the conversion without bags is 250 miles. I did 275 miles before the conversion. If you figure in the odometer change with the gearing that 275 becomes 257 so very close though I can't say the same amount of fuel was left.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts