StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fearing a lashing for not locating a previous thread on this sprocket change I will brave my attempt.
1. I assume the '12 Dl650a uses the same sprocket as previous v-stroms. Has anyone installed an after market sprocket (solid steel) and noticed greater vibration at various speeds?
2. Have read that some other Suzuki sport bike sprockets with the OEM rubber damping construction will also fit our V- Storms. Is this a fact? Which one as the desired 16 teeth? Thanks

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
rubber

there are lots of threads all over the web about the rubber on the front sprocket - it seems to make no difference in reality - it was theoretically added to reduce noise

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
It reduced the noise quite a bit in practice as well.

It was an easy swap on the earlier DL's, not so easy on the new. There's a lot more "stuff" in the way now.

Pete

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can't speak for the 2012, but on a 2008, I tried a aftermarket 16 tooth sprocket, the one I had was noisy and caused vibration, gave it to a friend who also experienced the same problems, we each went with the Suzuki and no more problems, this was 2 sprockets ago, for me, Suzuki is the only way to go.

·
Registered
86 Posts
beware the 2012 model has the speedo pick-up attatched to the end of the sprocket shaft & is really difficult to get off ...you,d be better off going down to a smaller sprocket on the back like i did ..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sprocket change

So,, One poster above said no vibration increase and another said there is an increase.

How about the second question?- No.2 Have read that some OTHER Suzuki sport bike sprockets with the OEM rubber damping construction will also fit our V- Storms. Is this a fact? Which one as the desired 16 teeth?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't understand, what difference does the pick-up on the counter-shaft have to do with changing sprockets?

As I see it, you should replace your chain and both sprockets whenever you change any single component.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I don't understand, what difference does the pick-up on the counter-shaft have to do with changing sprockets?
The speedo sensor has to come off before the sprocket can be removed. Sometimes, people with Vees have had difficulty getting it off or have damaged the sensor by trying to remove the sprocket without removing the sensor. The Glee has the same situation. The Wee has the sensor on the front axle so it is not involved in a sprocket change.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I replaced a stock rubber damped sprocket with a Renthal sprocket and noticed no change in the noise level.

From the Suzuki sprocket listed above, it appears that a stock GSX-R600 countershaft sprocket is 16 tooth and fits our stroms. That's easy to remember.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I replaced a stock rubber damped sprocket with a Renthal sprocket and noticed no change in the noise level.

From the Suzuki sprocket listed above, it appears that a stock GSX-R600 countershaft sprocket is 16 tooth and fits our stroms. That's easy to remember.
+1

That's the sprocket I used because it looked so much better than those that appear to be stamped out of a sheet of steel.

Rick

·
Registered
635 Posts
This was a thread from over the summer about going to the 16T.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/76576-16-tooth-countershaft-fixes-speedometer.html

I put a cheap aftermarket 16t (Vortex) on and it made a lot of noise. So I went with the factory 16t for the GSXR that had the rubber dampening and it was a lot quieter, but still a little bit noisier than the OEM.

I've been very pleased with the results overall.

I love that the speedometer is now accurate and the highway gearing is more relaxed.

You do loose a bit of lower end acceleration, but not much.

Getting the speedometer sending unit off is nothing, just a small Allen bolt. The main big nut holding the sprocket on is a beast. Allow for lots of patience, heat and leverage, or an impact wrench.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts