StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
instead of fitting a 16t front sprocket what size rear sprocket could give me the same gearing ?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Assuming a 47t rear, then changing to a 16t front would give you
47/16= 2.9375 sprocket ratio. To keep the 15t front and get a similar final ratio you would need 2.9375 X 15 = 44.0625. So a 44t rear sprocket would be essentially identical. Aside from cost and ease of replacement, I am now curious as to whether there it makes any difference between setups which yield the same mechanical ratio.

·
Registered
52 Posts
44 would be about the same. Ratios are below

15-47 stock 3.13
16-47 2.94
15-44 2.93

You might need to shorten your chain.

OOps, I got interupted mid-post. Looks like Shadowman beat me to it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Assuming a 47t rear, then changing to a 16t front would give you
47/16= 2.9375 sprocket ratio. To keep the 15t front and get a similar final ratio you would need 2.9375 X 15 = 44.0625. So a 44t rear sprocket would be essentially identical. Aside from cost and ease of replacement, I am now curious as to whether there it makes any difference between setups which yield the same mechanical ratio.
There will be no difference in performance between the 15-44 and 16-47. I normally change front sprockets on my dirt bikes as they are cheap and easy to swap gearing back and forth if I need to.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the new 2012 wee is a nightmare to swap the front sprocket as the speedo pick-up is on the end of the front sprocket shaft and is held on very tight with a allen screw ..a lot easier to change the rear .

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Better to go up on the rear than down on the front. Front spocket will last longer. Less chain slider wear.

BUT, it may mean you need a chain if you aren't replacing the whole drive system.

This has been argued before in another thread. Most will dissagree with me based on doing the cheapest thing.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Better to go up on the rear than down on the front. Front spocket will last longer. Less chain slider wear.

BUT, it may mean you need a chain if you aren't replacing the whole drive system.

This has been argued before in another thread. Most will dissagree with me based on doing the cheapest thing.
Maybe, but that's not what the OP wants to do... He wants a higher gear ratio, not lower... up one in the front or down 3 in the rear...and by the looks of it, he owns a 2012 Wee... Probably won't need a new chain right now...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Bummer that you can't easily change the front sprocket on the newer Wee's - I love the ease (and low cost) of taking off the front one. Went to a 16T shortly after getting mine and it's a perfect match for my driving style, economy, etc.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
the new 2012 wee is a nightmare to swap the front sprocket as the speedo pick-up is on the end of the front sprocket shaft and is held on very tight with a allen screw ..a lot easier to change the rear .
Thanks !!! Yet another change/difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts