StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what folks experience has been with this mod. My '14 1000 seems to have pretty long legs (I rarely use 6th gear) and a little more acceleration never hurts. I'm also thinking it might help off road so I don't have to lug it so much in second gear. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
There is a huge thread in here about the subject. Just look for it.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yep still in love.

Reactions: Lrobby99

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
I tried this and was surprised how much nicer the bike felt. I haven't tried 12 hours on highway yet though.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I removed mine yesterday and went back to stock. If you ride like me (120kph quite regularly) you will find it puts you in the VERY fuel thirsty zone of your DL1000. I now have an Arrow header and I'd like to think the extra grunt it adds will mitigate the loss of grunt from going back to 17 tooth.

That being said it is very cheap, and worth buying for sure. Takes about 30min to swap between the two, and is a good excuse to clean around the sprocket.

Reactions: Bugzy

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Some love it, some, not so much. Only way to know if it's for you is try it and see. I like it, but wish I had a switch where I could go to 17t gearing on the highway. Change out is easier if you have an impact wrench to loosen the sprocket nut. Torque to around 83 lb-ft and use thread lock (red is recommended).

Reactions: blues hurler

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I removed mine yesterday and went back to stock. If you ride like me (120kph quite regularly) you will find it puts you in the VERY fuel thirsty zone of your DL1000. I now have an Arrow header and I'd like to think the extra grunt it adds will mitigate the loss of grunt from going back to 17 tooth.

That being said it is very cheap, and worth buying for sure. Takes about 30min to swap between the two, and is a good excuse to clean around the sprocket.
After living with the 16t for a while, did it feel like a loss of power or acceleration when you went back? Or does just a little more throttle compensate? (Assuming you've had a chance to ride it.) I've considered going back just to see what it is like, since I like stock for the highway, but then, I haven't really done that much highway so far.

·
Registered
275 Posts
After living with the 16t for a while, did it feel like a loss of power or acceleration when you went back? Or does just a little more throttle compensate? (Assuming you've had a chance to ride it.) I've considered going back just to see what it is like, since I like stock for the highway, but then, I haven't really done that much highway so far.
Haven't been able to ride yet as it is very much winter here. From what I remember of the 17t it was too tall, and the 16t was too short (always wanting to rev above 4,300 rpm on the highway). I think I will like the 17t more as the other mods I have done will make up some torque (intake, header, exhaust) while maintaining the stock gearing. Who knows lol.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
The biggest benefit comes when the going gets real slow like in traffic or in the dirt.

On level ground the bike will happily pull me away from a standing start at 1500rpm's, I can then let it drop back to idle and it will pull me around at 11kph with no throttle input required.

The gear ratios are closer together so finding the right gear for the situation is easier.

The down side is you will gain about 300rpm's at higher speeds.

Until I dropped to a 16 I never used 6th gear so I have not noticed any extra fuel consumption.

Reactions: blues hurler

·
Registered
529 Posts
Not a fan. I went back to 17T. Raises cruising speed on highway, and more buzzy at 70 mph. More fuel consumption.
The biggest complaint is that I had to turn traction control off. Light was blinking like a Christmas tree when accelerating, even on TC1.
The motor is so torquey already. Full torque at 4,000 rpm, I felt it was totally unnecessary.
Suzuki nailed it with the stock gearing IMHO.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Not a fan. I went back to 17T. Raises cruising speed on highway, and more buzzy at 70 mph. More fuel consumption.
The biggest complaint is that I had to turn traction control off. Light was blinking like a Christmas tree when accelerating, even on TC1.
The motor is so torquey already. Full torque at 4,000 rpm, I felt it was totally unnecessary.
Suzuki nailed it with the stock gearing IMHO.
I've never really understood how supposedly identical production bikes could all behave so differently. (I only got my TC light to blink once with the 16t, and that was when trying on wet pavement.) Until recently when I got my GSX-S1000.... There are conflicting reports about abrupt throttle response on the Gixxus. It has been discovered one of the primary reasons is a finicky adjustment of the Throttle Position Sensor. The TPS is very touchy when tightening the adjusting screw and hard to do without changing it a little, and folks have found that a change of only .1 volt can make quite a noticeable difference. So minute differences in the TPS adjustment can make a big difference in the response of the bike. I suspect there are other adjustments that are made manually at the factory that can all have some variation and therefore each bike will behave a little differently.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I am a fan and I seek out steep, nasty gravelly bumpy roads. The 16T works well for where and how I ride. Highway mileage does suffer. The TC light blinks a little on TC1 when I throttle hard out of a corner on pavement with Mitas E-07 rear tire, but otherwise little if any blinking.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I am a fan and I seek out steep, nasty gravelly bumpy roads. The 16T works well for where and how I ride. Highway mileage does suffer. The TC light blinks a little on TC1 when I throttle hard out of a corner on pavement with Mitas E-07 rear tire, but otherwise little if any blinking.

16 tooth doesn't help that. Bike works great with 17t. Check out the class 4 jeep trails it has done.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I see they all have there brake lights on, with a 16t you would not require brakes.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What Rolex said (great name, BTW). I really don't use 6th very much in my riding, but I think it'll pay off when i'm off pavement. Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
16 tooth doesn't help that. Bike works great with 17t. Check out the class 4 jeep trails it has done.
Holy crap! It's not often I see anything that bad! But when I do, I usually have 100lbs of camping gear on the back...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just went to 16/43. Love it! Bike was hard to ride off the pavement with stock gearing. At 100km/h sitting at 4000 rpm now. 2010 DL1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts