StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there change the front sprocket out for a 16t? I've got the new sprocket on but can't get the chain on it because of the larger diameter of the sprocket (and the clutch assembly that blocks the sprocket)...

ImageUploadedByMO Free1384730393.967287.jpg

·
Registered
116 Posts
It'll go, just takes some finessing, cursing and you have to hold your face just right.

Try loosening the chain as much as possible, force the chain into that area and forward as far as possible, then work the sprocket in to the chain and on to the shaft. It's difficult, and you don't have any extra clearance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give that a shot tomorrow after my blood pressure returns to a safe level, thank you!

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Even the 15T was a challenge. I loosened the adjuster as far as I could, pushed the rear wheel forward and slipped the chain off the rear sprocket (The effort required to do that convinced me that the chain and rear sprocket were in fine shape).

That gave me enough 'wiggle' that I could get the chain over the front sprocket and slide the two back in without the chain trying to tilt everything sideways.

Pete

·
Registered
187 Posts
JPilot, when you BP returns the the safe levels and you attempt this again let us all know how it went. More photos would be very useful and entertaining.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Chain went on successfully last night. I wound up removing the chain from the rear sprocket completely, as someone suggested, and shoving it up in the front sprocket cavity then putting the front sprocket on. Worked like a champ!

No more pics to entertain, sorry. I'll hopefully follow up with "how great the modification is to ride @ highway speeds".

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Welcome to last year!

First I've heard of chain problems...:confused:

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I love my 16T, but cornering in second lugs a little. The taller first gear doesn't bother me.
+1 :thumbup:

I ride 2-up quite a bit, and I have had no issues with taller gearing. Didn't regret the swap even riding in the Ouachita mountains in AR/OK recently, packed for a weekend trip with my wife.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts