StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have recently put on a 16 43 525 setup an took her out for a ride and well it flat out impressed me:hurray: . besides that my speedo is way off now but ill handle that later. i got my parts from Blair Layton out of Washington. he promptly sent the parts out an i received them in just a few days. USA made parts is what he deals with keeping the work here in the us. great guy to deal with honest and reliable, he also gives a great deal for stromtrooper members. his email is [email protected]:thumbup:

·
Registered
858 Posts
care to elaborate?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I miss the stock gearing.....

My first wee was killed by a cage, and it's replacement has a 16 tooth front, have not wanted to count rear, and I despise it. I routinely load mine up with groceries, and it is a real pain moving slowly anywhere. More agravating is the fact my 05 KLR will idle all around flat ground-no throttle. I even spend a fair amount of time on the slab with the wee-got the KLR for the deep boonies(though I take the wee on any dirt road) I guess if one is only going to do mostly 4 lane........

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
16:43 is a setup to lower the gear ratio on a Vee that has 17:41 stock gearing, not to raise a Wee that has 15:47 stock gearing.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,422 Posts
16:43 is a setup to lower the gear ratio on a Vee that has 17:41 stock gearing, not to raise a Wee that has 15:47 stock gearing.
Big difference in gearing between the two bikes. I am running the 16/43 combo on my Vee. MUCH better operation commuting, MUCH better takeoff on a hill with a passenger. Always seems to have the right gear. Before 1st gear seemed high in traffic or making tight u turns. Now in heavy traffic I can run 2nd gear at times. 3rd gear is now my favorite gear in the twisties! Did not give up much in 6th gear. If I done a LOT of highway riding I might go back to the 17t front sprocket. Can't say I lost any fuel mileage with the 16/43 ( damn thing didn't have any to lose anyway!).

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
My first wee was killed by a cage, and it's replacement has a 16 tooth front, have not wanted to count rear, and I despise it.
You don't have to put up with it and it's easily fixed on the cheap. Slap on a front 15 or 14 and it'll be like a new bike.

I forgot to add, reference to "higher" and "lower" gear ratios has always confused me. I assume that when there's a reduction, the wider ratio is refered to as "lower", so any further increase in reduction will result in even lower ratios, even though the actual ratio between sprockets is increasing. Is this right?

If the above is correct, then if you swapped places with the sprockets, with the larger on the front and smaller on the back, any increase in ratio would be refered to just the opposite, as in the wider the ratio, the higher it would be. ????

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Yeah, a 16t front (stock rear) made a world of difference to my Vee. Drop the clutch at idle and it just moves away - no slipping or anything required. Drags my lardy (250#) butt up/down our hills here like a champ.

And, 6th gear is actually useful for something, now. If you're just a slab rider, the stock gearing would be okay, I guess.

The speedo is even further off (about 16% I think) now than it was before, but I go by my GPS, anyway.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
More 16/43 converts. I like the bike much better this way. :yesnod:

·
Registered
751 Posts
i have 16/42 and found it a huge improvement as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So if the 16/43 is good, is a 16/44 or 45 even better? Haven't heard of more than maybe 1 running the 16/45 combo. At 23K I need a new chain and sprockets as the ones on the bike are shot.

Stock sucks, and I would rather not buy 4 different sprockets to get where I am trying to go. Blair has great prices, but they still aren't free!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if you are going to be doing alot of commuting and worried about fuel economy then you might consider something alittle different, my speedo was off stock but with the 16 43 when it says 80 im doing 64 65 according to gps, i give it alittle lee way. handles much better with the wife on board rides like your by yourself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If I wanted fuel economy, I would ride a Rebel 250 or the like. I'm looking for fun that I wouldn't dream of having on my Harley, and at 6' tall and 250lbs, the stock gearing sucks.

What is your RPM's in 6th at 60 mph with the 16/43? I'm hoping to get 6th to where 5th is now with the stock gearing. Ideally it would put 60mph n 6th at 4-4.2k rpm. Currently I cruise along the highway in 5th as 60 mph speed limits and traffic prevent keeping the bike in 6th for any real commute. 1st is entirely too high for slow stuff, and I find myself either wanting a gear between 1st and 2nd, or 2nd and 3rd. It just never seems to be in that 4-5k rpm sweet spot. Top speed is not really a goal of mine.

Anyone know of a gear calculator that works with Vista, or better yet, an online version?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks Greywolf, google had failed me looking for this.

·
$tromtrooper [belated]
120 Posts
What is your RPM's in 6th at 60 mph with the 16/43? I'm hoping to get 6th to where 5th is now with the stock gearing. Ideally it would put 60mph n 6th at 4-4.2k rpm.
I have the 16/45 #530 set-up from Blair on my K7 Vee with sidecar. If you want 60 mph @ 4000 in 6th gear, this will get you there. Thats what it does for me anyway.

Steve

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
I have the 16/45 #530 set-up from Blair on my K7 Vee with sidecar. If you want 60 mph @ 4000 in 6th gear, this will get you there. Thats what it does for me anyway.

Steve
What is your riding style? Are you always connected to the side cart? I'm wondering how that setup is if you really hammer the throttle a lot.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts