StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That about par? Never seen any visible sign of oil burn (via exhaust); and, the plugs looked clean last time I checked.

·
Registered
875 Posts
My 09 burns some oil mysteriously on occasion also. Others have reported the same thing.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
That about par? Never seen any visible sign of oil burn (via exhaust); and, the plugs looked clean last time I checked.
How did you determine it was down 200ml?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm curious what others report. Mine did something like that riding 2000 miles out in Wyoming/ S. Dakota last year.

I chalked it up to running 75-80 many times on open roads. Thinking limiting speed to 55-60 would reduce that.

dave

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Conjecture is running over 70-75mph for extended periods vaporizes some oil past the breather element.

·
Administrator
17,518 Posts
Can't say that I ever noticed my 1000 using oil, I reckon I need to ask DONSTROM how it still runs?:mrgreen:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How did you determine it was down 200ml?
added oil to get it back to the full line. looked at the bottle, which now has 800ml of oil in it. Thus, 200 went into the case.

of course, these bikes are tricky. One day it's above the line. The next it's well below....later it's at the line. Sometimes it's hard to tell if you're low, correct or over-filled.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
added oil to get it back to the full line. looked at the bottle, which now has 800ml of oil in it. Thus, 200 went into the case.

of course, these bikes are tricky. One day it's above the line. The next it's well below....later it's at the line. Sometimes it's hard to tell if you're low, correct or over-filled.
Bingo! The only way to be sure is to empty it. Then fill it with a measured amount. If it looks low on the gauge after a long hard ride, and you want to check how much it is down, then you have to drain and measure it as you did before. The difference is approximately what you lost.:yesnod: Too many variables. The site glass for me is a go, no go, gauge. If I see oil through it, good to go, no oil visible,:jawdrop: must check further.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
My Vee will use a bit on long trips.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Perfectly normal. Lots of people would be ecstatic if that's all the oil their bike burned on a 1,500 mile trip.

For Pete's sake, don't putt along at 60 mph because you're afraid you might burn a few teaspoons of oil.

All vehicles burn a little oil. Anything under a quart every 1,000 miles is no cause for concern.

Also, if the vehicle has been primarily used around town and on shorter trips, all the accumulated water and blowby gunk in the oil will burn off on a long trip, making it look like the oil level dropped suddenly. Again, perfectly normal and no cause for alarm.

·
Registered
254 Posts
"All vehicles burn a little oil" - true but how much is too much ?

All vehicles also suffer from petrol dilution in the oil. This is where petrol seeps into the oil. Motorcycles are worse than cars for this.

Your oil level can even seem to be going up when you ride mostly around town, however when you go on a several hour trip the engine temperature goes up and the petrol evaporates off and shows a sudden drop in oil level.

Petrol dilution is major reason you want to change your oil reguarly rather than carbon or metal fragment buildup

PS This is not my option but that of a friend who is a lab tech for Caltex, but what would he know.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
200ml of oil used isn't much, and as the guys are saying it may not have been all actual oil that's been used, just the condensation/petrol contaminants etc burning off plus a little oil. And your measurement of the amount used could well be inaccurate as you say. Evaporation of some oil is normal as has been said on long trips at speed as the oil is used to cool the underside of the piston crowns which are super heated at speed. On a 2,000 mile trip with semi syn in the engine I used 150 ml of oil. That was when loaded with gear and a passenger averaging 90mph for much of the way on long long deserted European roads. I've since switched to fully syn oil and so far it's barely used a drop on these trips, at least not measurable amounts. That may be a good way to go for you too.

·
Registered
522 Posts
All vehicles burn a little oil. Anything under a quart every 1,000 miles is no cause for concern.
I'll bet there is a bunch of '01 bandit 1200 owners that would beg to differ with that statement. That was a big issue a few years back and Suzuki payed to have a lot of them fixed.

I know I would be furious if my bike used that much oil.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I'll bet there is a bunch of '01 bandit 1200 owners that would beg to differ with that statement. That was a big issue a few years back and Suzuki payed to have a lot of them fixed.

I know I would be furious if my bike used that much oil.

True, burning a quart every 1,000 miles is excessive for a newer vehicle, but it doesn't mean you're not going to get home. I guess I was thinking in purely mechanical terms, as in, no, it's not going to foul the plugs or actually hurt anything as long as you keep an eye on the oil level.

Of course, a sudden increase in oil consumption in any vehicle is cause for concern. On certain vintage GS models, the crankcase breather system gets clogged easily, and a sudden increase in oil consumption or even new seal leaks is a sign you need to ream out the breather tube.

I do know that there have been many cases where warranty claims on oil-burning newer cars were denied because the manufacturers won't open the engine unless it's burning more than a quart every 1,000 miles. I don't know what the standards are these days, or if there are standards for this. Seems like the EPA wouldn't want that much oil being burned or run through the catalytic converter.

My wife's Toyota RAV4 has over 265,000 miles, and it burns about a quart every 1,000 miles, maybe a little more if it's hot. In this case, the cause of the oil consumption is obvious, the rate of consumption is manageable, and dumping in half a quart every other tank of gas is a minor inconvenience and expense compared to rebuilding the engine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts