StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am about to pull the trigger and buy a Vstrom 1000. If I can ever get a dealer to call me back! (Do these guys want to sell stuff?)

I have found a couple of leftover models. 15s and 16s. Obviously, there is a price difference . . . I guess the simply question is, is the 16 worth that much more than a 15? And is the ADV really worth the premium? It seems as though you can put aftermarket, better quality on for about the same or less money.

Any words of wisdom gratefully received.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
There are no changes between 15 & 16 and you are correct you can put better racks bags and engine guards on yourself. Depending on the price it may or may not be cheaper than the oem stuff.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
There are three generations of ECM for Vee2s. 32920-31J10 was stock for 2014 and 2015 with 32920-31J11 listed as its replacement. 32920-31J12 is listed for 2016 and is the one that seems to have solved the fueling problems earlier bikes sometimes had.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Check with your dealer. My new but leftover 2014 DL1000 I purchased last December from our giant dealer had the ECU swapped out by the dealer and I didn't even know it until I saw the numbers posted here a while back and looked.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I've found one 15 for under 9 and a 16 for 9500. Hoping for one of the two, if I can get a callback!

Honestly! No one wants to sell??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Under the fuses & relays behind the battery. A bit of a pain to get too.

From another thread...
"Remove the tool kit, then there are several relays on rubber mounts that just pull off, there is a little tab on the fuse block you need to press with a screwdriver blade and pull up. Then there are two phillips screws to remove to pull up the cover. You can get to it enough just to see the number without having to unplug any wires or completely remove the cover."

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Ok thanks . My 15 seems to run fine, but only 550 on odometer. Would like to know if I had the later ECU.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm . . . well, someone in New Jersey bought my bike! Brand new 2015 1000 (non-ADV) . . . 8800, plus tax tags, etc. Would have ended up being 97/9800 OTD.

So, now I am looking at a 2014 for 8,000, plus tax, tags, etc. I am guessing just about 9 OTD. Good deal?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Great deal. I just bought a lightly used 2014 (4k miles) for not much less than that here in Oregon. I absolutely love this bike.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I almost hate to mention it again. I bought my new but leftover 2014 DL1000 for $7450 OTD last December. The main trick was it being a large dealership who matches dealer pricing on Cycle Trader and pricing seems to be regional. Of course now new 2014s are probably rare. There were a few others on here that got deals in the same ball park. Typically a high volume large dealer.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
I almost hate to mention it again. I bought my new but leftover 2014 DL1000 for $7450 OTD last December. The main trick was it being a large dealership who matches dealer pricing on Cycle Trader and pricing seems to be regional. Of course now new 2014s are probably rare. There were a few others on here that got deals in the same ball park. Typically a high volume large dealer.
Buying in Winter definitely has its advantages, plus the dealer is looking at a bike that is about to roll over to one year older, AND you got lucky.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I got lucky twice. I bought my 2013 DL650A nearly the same way (new leftover) at the same dealer twenty months earlier. :wink2: I didn't really want it loaded (Adventure) but the price was too good to pass up. They order a bunch of them at a time because they are so large. So many folks get scalded because they have to have the very latest new thing. I bought the 650 in April. No one wanted a 2013 in 2015 when there were 2014 & 2015's sitting there.

Buying in Winter definitely has its advantages, plus the dealer is looking at a bike that is about to roll over to one year older, AND you got lucky.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
As some have found out. Do it in person. On the phone doesn't work. :)

There seems to be a similar huge type dealer in the NE they talk about. I forgot the name - starts with an R.

Also, on my 650 they matched the pricing from Hall's Motorcycles down south closer to you listed on the Trader. They are huge as well and buy blocks of bikes as well and then dump the new prior years leftovers like Big Motorsports (St. Charles, MO) does near me. it is a definite advantage to be near a huge dealer. Big M is the largest in the Midwest including Chicago.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And it is a done deal! Bought and paid for and I am picking it up Saturday (weather permitting as I am not riding a 100 miles in the pouring rain on a new bike) or its being delivered on Tuesday!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Congratulations! You just bought a very fine motorcycle. Have a great summer!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts