StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woot woot, first post! And unfortunately it's because I need help replacing a fastener on the side carrier of a 2015 650 :/ this broke/loosened then lost during an overnight trek last weekend.

It seems to be very proprietary. There's no threading, but two pins adjacent.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
If I’m not mistaken, the racks (and bags) are made by SWMotech. Maybe contact them regarding replacement parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dzus fastener.
Thanks! That led me to finding another thread, you've participated, linking to SW-Motech.

Yeah, it is a Dzus TYPE fastener. You may have to replace the fastener "system" to a conventional type like this 1/4 Turn Quick Release Aluminum Dzus Button with Springs and Tab Plates 10 Pack-Free Rivets !, Hardware & Brackets - Amazon Canada . Maybe contact the rack manufacturer first.

Cheers,
Glenn
I'd like to refrain from modifications that aren't reversible. I've found a retailer that carries replacements that're visually identical with exception to textile markings for quality check and possibly branding (CAM.00.KFT). A local authorized dealership is looking up for the part after describing, I'll forward these findings to them if they can't find a suitable replacement. Cheers!

If I’m not mistaken, the racks (and bags) are made by SWMotech. Maybe contact them regarding replacement parts.
That seems to be the case (pun intended aha). I'll have to investigate this further to confirm to confident ordering.

Cable ties FTW! :D
ha ;) that's the current mitigation until I've obtained a replacement. I'm surprised it decided to fail while way under what I'd consider an acceptable load limit. It might've sheared off on rough terrain then flew off during the highway back home.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Its the first time I remember reading one of them failing, but I have been wrong before. The rack will stay in place with 3 no problem. Up to date I thought they are bulletproof. Mine have gone through may rough miles, never an issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SW Motech Quick Lock fasteners avail at Twisted Throttle
Thanks, those look like they have no markings that'd differentiate from what's there now.

Its the first time I remember reading one of them failing, but I have been wrong before. The rack will stay in place with 3 no problem. Up to date I thought they are bulletproof. Mine have gone through may rough miles, never an issue.
The carrier rack stayed on for the journey back but there was movement, that I'm speculating, resulting in a brief vicious wobble at speeds past 150km/h, heck that could've been it flying off and the case resettling.

No evidence of the fastener failing, only that it is missing.
Without the fastener there's no way of examining if it had sheared. Metal fatigue could've been the culprit or the rubber had deteriorated from elements (I should look at the remaining to be safe), maybe some prick loosened it, or it was ridden too hard for its usage (i.e. abuse). The latter two are the least likely scenarios. This fastener shouldn't need periodic tightening as that's not in its design.

I wouldn't eliminate the possibility that it had failed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts